Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-03, 04:47 PM   #1
lak lak

Question Outlook Help

Hello every body

I tried all the steps that you wrote in this thread

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=16087

but whenever I open identities folder I find nothing... Can you help me plz. I am really do need to backup my emails ASAP!
lak lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 08:23 PM   #2
Bubba
user, registered

Different OSs may put these in different places, not 100% on that. So, it could be that you're using a different OS than they're talking about in that thread.

Also, not sure if you're maybe referring to Outlook, rather than Outlook Express. In any event, do a local search for these two file extensions:

*.dbx- Outlook Express

*.pst- Outlook

Once you get results, simply find the directory/sub-directory and back up those bad boys.

Good luck.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 03:09 PM   #3
lak lak

Thank you very much.. I found the files.... they were hidden files... Anyway One more question. If I want to backup my Outlook Do I have to save these files?

thnx

lak lak
Old 08-22-03, 09:54 PM   #4
Bubba
user, registered

Not sure what you mean by, "back up my Outlook." If you want to backup the data you use with Outlook or Outlook Express, then copy all of the files with those extensions to a safe place. That will ensure that you save the individual emails and other pieces of information handled by the application.

For Outlook Express, you'll have multiple .dbx files; one for your inbox (probably inbox.dbx) and others for each of your other folders. Copy them all. For Outlook, you'll have one .pst that includes your inbox, calendar, contacts, etc. You'll only have more than one if you create it manually, like for a Personal Folder(s). Best bet is back up everything you can find.

This will not back up the Outlook or Outlook Express application. It will just backup your data used by the application.
Old 08-23-03, 07:07 PM   #5
lak lak

Bubba

I meant the emails, Well are you sure that it will save all my emails, coz the files sizes is not quite big enough. I will try it.

Thanks for your reply

lak lak
Old 08-24-03, 02:23 PM   #6
Cell1
In The Shadow

hay lak lak...how are ya?

check what kind of outlook ur using?
Cell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-03, 02:59 PM   #7
lak lak

Bubba

I copied the DBX files from my laptop and put them in my home PC but it did not work, instead I received an error message that did not allow me to open the outlook express.

Cell1
Hello there, I am pretty good.. thanks for asking
Well I am using the normal Outlook in my laptop and outlook express in my home pc. I did copy da files but it did not work :S

PS: are you sure guys that if we copied da DBX files I will backing up my emails??? coz the size of the DBX files are quite small comparing to the number of emails that I have!
Old 08-24-03, 08:35 PM   #8
Bubba
user, registered

Lak Lak,

Outlook Express uses files with .dbx extension. Those .dbx files will be created on a per folder basis within Outlook Express. Outlook is different. It uses files with a .pst extension. Those .pst files will be created for every instance of a set of personal folders that you have.

The two applications are different, and not necessarily interchangeable. I am pretty sure that you could convert the Express .dbx files into a usable form within Outlook, but I don't think you can go the other way. Outlook is a more robust program. Express is a simple program.

You last message implies that you are using Outlook (an app that use .pst extensions) on your laptop, but yet you speak of copying the .dbx files. This is confusing, and I don't see how this is possible unless you also have Outlook Express installed on the laptop, and you're copying the empty .dbx files that aren't being used. This would explain why they are so small.

If you are using normal Outlook on the laptop, and you want to back those up, look for files that end in .pst. Don't look for the .dbx.

Trying to be helpful here, but maybe I'm just being too confusing. Sorry if that's the case. If you really want to get more in-depth, it would greatly help if you could explain exactly what you're trying to do as well as the exact applications you're using (versions and all). It sounds like you're not just trying to backup the data, but instead merge emails from two different applications. That can be much trickier, maybe even impossible.

Old 08-25-03, 07:25 AM   #9
lak lak

Bubba,

I Think that I understood you clearly now, This means that I can't see my emails via my Home Pc coz it's outlook is not like the one which on my Laptop. Meanwhile I can if I transfered them to another Pc that has the same Outlook as the laptop.

However I search for .pst extension files and I will attach the results with this entrie. Should I copy them all and put them in the same file on other computer? Note that I have many sub-folders attached to my inbox. Are they going to be copied as well?

By the way, I am going to attach the exact applications that I am using, Is that what you were asking me to?

Thanks alot, I know that you are tired from me....

lak lak
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outlook.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	2998  
Old 08-25-03, 06:47 PM   #10
Bubba
user, registered

Lak Lak,

Nah, I'm not tired of you.... just hope I can be of some help. Let's try this.

To export emails from Outlook XP/2002, first open the application. From the menu bar, chose File-Import and Export-Export to a File-Personal Folder (.st)-Highlight your main Personal Folders and select the box that says 'Include Subfolders', then chose the destination location with the browse option and select one of the options about overwriting the emails. When done click finish.

That should create a new .pst file for you. Copy that sucker on a cd or wherever else you plan to put it for migration to the desktop.

Now, what I don't know is whether or not Outlook Express can use that .pst file. I reccomend you use the same version of Outlook to use the backed up .pst file. In order to import it in the destination pc, follow the same procedure as above, except chose Import from a Personal Folder (.pst).

That should do the trick. I'd also make a copy of that archive file as well. If you deselect 'Hide File Extensions for known file types' in the Tools-Folder Options-View section of Windows Explorer, you'll be able to look at the actual file extensions.

-bubba
Old 08-26-03, 11:18 AM   #11
lak lak

Hi Bubba,

I did what you say, Ane an (.pst) called backup appeared in my outlook file, I guess I have to save it as you said before.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate what you did.

lak lak
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outlook backup.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	3006