Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-24-03, 10:56 AM   #1
Medic6666

Default just installed a updated RH9 Kernel and....

now X won't start.

if when I boot, I select the older kernel it works fine.

It says no screens configured and that X is not configured.

anyone know what I need to do?

Cheers

Medic6666
Medic6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-03, 08:08 PM   #2
geowiz

Default Did you remember to ???

If the old kernel works with X and the new kernel doesn't, it implies that you haven't installed the NVIDIA graphics drivers for the new kernel.

Each kernel caries it OWN set of drivers, so when the kernel is upgraded or recompiled, drivers that are not part of the standard kernel distribution must be installed again. This includes Nvidia graphics driver, nvnet, and some sound drivers.

If you are re-installing the Nvidia X drivers from the NVIDIA_kernel.1.0-XXXX.run file, be aware that it will REMOVE the X driver in the working (old) kernel. So, I would suggest that you make a copy of nvidia.o located in the old kernel module directory and copy it back to that location AFTER you do the Nvidia graphics driver install for the new kernel. That file can be found in /lib/modules/2.4.??-?/kernel/drivers/video where the ? are the numbers from the old kernel version.

Since the NVIDIA_kernel...run program assumes that you aren't running X, you'll need to boot into the new kernel in single user mode. In LILO boot, enter text mode and type the kernel name followed by the word "single". Install the driver and re-boot. example: linux-2.6.0-test4 single

Windows only keeps one copy of the kernel so it is not often that the graphics (and other drivers) have to be reinstalled but the *nix's have the ability to have multiple kernels available for booting ;-)

Hope this helps - (and that my diagnosis is right so the rest isn't an insulting discussion!)
geowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-03, 04:20 PM   #3
Medic6666

Default Thanks

You are correct. I re-installed the drivers and it now works.

The only problem is that now I am using the updated kernel my XMMS and gAIM hang on me. I can kill the process but need to restart for it to work properly again.

Anyone know of a simple mp3 player for linux without all the gimicks?

Cheers

Medic6666
Old 08-26-03, 05:27 PM   #4
geowiz

Default hanging xmms etc

Try turning off ACPI on boot. I had that problem until I quit using the current ACPI stuff.

On boot, pass the kernel acpi=off and see if sound, network etc quits hanging. Should work.

Good luck
Old 08-26-03, 06:40 PM   #5
Medic6666

Default how do I do that??

pass the kernel acpi=off ??

Cheers

Medic6666
Old 08-26-03, 06:54 PM   #6
geowiz

Default Yes by ...

when booting (I'm assuming LILO) escape to the command line boot (ctrl-x) and type in the kernel name and acpi=off.
LILO: linux-2.4.20 acpi=off

You can also pass the parameter to the kernel in LILO or GRUB. append="acpi=off"