Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-27-08, 10:28 PM   #1
sn4ip3r

Default HDMI and dock station DVI broken on HP 8510w with 177.x and 180.x drivers

On my HP 8510w laptop the HDMI output through HDMI-DVI converter to a DVI display stopped working with 177.* (tested 177.13, 177.78 and some versions in between), works fine with 173.14.12 and previous versions.

The intersting thing is that the display gets properly recognized even though with 177.* I get not only DFP-0 (the laptop main display) and DFP-2 (single-link) but also DFP-1 (dual-link). Both DFP-1 and DFP-2 identify themselves as the display that is connected to the HDMI port but neither when activated is able to make that display do anything.

I have also tried it on a Dell 2408WFP with the same results as on my LG L226W.

Probably doesn't matter, but the VGA output still works fine on 177.

Thanks for any help,
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report-173.14.12-working.log.gz (31.1 KB, 186 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report-177.78-broken.log.gz (33.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report-177.13-broken.log.gz (31.1 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by sn4ip3r; 11-17-08 at 11:51 AM. Reason: updated title
sn4ip3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 06:57 PM   #2
kcrudup

Default Re: HDMI-DVI converted output to DVI display not working with 177.*

FWIW, I have a DVI monitor connected via an HDMI-to-DVI cable and I haven't had any issues in the month I've been using this setup. If you want, when I get home I can post all the relevant information (monitor manufacturer and name, DFP- names, Xconfig, etc.)
Old 09-28-08, 07:05 PM   #3
sn4ip3r

Hi kcrudup,

Are you using a laptop? (just speculating, but my problem could be caused due to a laptop also having to support output through a port replicator, perhaps it's confusing the outputs somehow. I do not have a port replicator however so I can't test it.).

Did you notice any difference in output detection on 177.* (separate outputs for dual and single-link that we're not there before)?

Thank you,
sn4ip3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 02:05 AM   #4
kcrudup

Yeah, it's the laptop that's in my .sig (HP Pavilion dv9000 CTO).

I didn't notice much output detection difference, but in all honesty, never looked much 'cause it just worked.
Old 10-24-08, 02:54 AM   #5
Ardjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn4ip3r View Post
On my HP 8510w laptop the HDMI output through HDMI-DVI converter to a DVI display stopped working with 177.* (tested 177.13, 177.78 and some versions in between), works fine with 173.14.12 and previous versions.

The intersting thing is that the display gets properly recognized even though with 177.* I get not only DFP-0 (the laptop main display) and DFP-2 (single-link) but also DFP-1 (dual-link). Both DFP-1 and DFP-2 identify themselves as the display that is connected to the HDMI port but neither when activated is able to make that display do anything.
I have the same laptop with (almost) exactly the same problem. Instead of a HDMI-DVI converter I use a HDMI television. This also gets detected as two screens (DFP-1 and DFP-2), and it also doesn't work when I enable either one of them. Has anybody found a solution for this problem?
Ardjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 02:56 AM   #6
Ardjan

BTW: I am using 177.80 as was installed by Ubuntu 8.10.
Old 10-27-08, 12:57 AM   #7
Lithorus

I'm having the same issue since I started using the 177.xx series. I connect my HDMI output to my TV. Nvidia-settings see's the TV and all, but I get nothing at all on the TV.
Btw. I'm also using Ubuntu 8.10. Thankfully it's a breeze now to downgrade to 173.xx series which "solved" my problem.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (30.7 KB, 142 views)
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 02:45 AM   #8
Ardjan

Unfortunately downgrading doesn't solve my problem. If I downgrade the driver I can enable the HDMI output, but I can't save the configuration to xorg.conf (nvidia-settings segfaults). With the 1.73 driver that is necessary since maximizing screens or using full screen applications doesn't work well (they use both monitors) unless you save and restart X.
The 1.77 driver also can't save to xorg.conf, but at least maximizing and fullscreen work immediately after applying the settings. So until this is fixed I'm afraid I will have to reboot to windows to use the HDMI output of my laptop . Any help on how to get HDMI working with 1.77 would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-27-08, 03:00 AM   #9
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardjan View Post
Unfortunately downgrading doesn't solve my problem. If I downgrade the driver I can enable the HDMI output, but I can't save the configuration to xorg.conf (nvidia-settings segfaults). With the 1.73 driver that is necessary since maximizing screens or using full screen applications doesn't work well (they use both monitors) unless you save and restart X.
The 1.77 driver also can't save to xorg.conf, but at least maximizing and fullscreen work immediately after applying the settings. So until this is fixed I'm afraid I will have to reboot to windows to use the HDMI output of my laptop . Any help on how to get HDMI working with 1.77 would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like a weird xorg.conf. Could you post it? Did you also run nvidia-settings as root?
Old 10-27-08, 04:33 AM   #10
Ardjan

The segfault of nvidia-settings is probably caused by my xorg.conf, my xorg.conf doesn't contain much information since ubuntu 8.10 lets xorg autodetect most things. Since I'm using my laptop on several locations with different hardware attached I would like to keep the configuration minimal.

Furthermore I would really like to use the 177 drivers since they are supposed to support audio over HDMI (at least, that's what I've read). So, although downgrading with 173 and dropping my minimal xorg.conf would enable me to use video over HDMI again it isn't a ideal solution, in fact (although it hurts to say this) since I already have working hdmi audio under windows, rebooting to windows to watch videos is a better solution that using 173 at the moment . If 177 would allow me to enable HDMI properly this wouldn't be necessary and I could leave my windows partition to its intended task of collecting dust . So a solution for the 177 series is very welcome.
Old 10-27-08, 04:46 AM   #11
Ardjan

Another thing I did notice (not quite sure if this information is usefull): I've tried using the 1.73 version of nvidia-settings (compiled from source) and this tool detects the HDMI screen as expected: as 1 screen instead of two. Enabling this screen however still has no effect, so I'm not sure if the strange detection of the monitor is related to the HDMI not working error.
Old 10-27-08, 05:06 AM   #12
Lithorus

I have noticed the same. The 177.xx driver and nvidia-settings doesn't detect the second display unless I do a "detect displays". With the 173.xx driver it gets detected in Xorg.0.log and shown in the nvidia-settings. I'm not saying it's a good solution, but if the problem is within the nvidia binary driver there is little you can do.

I'm also using Ubuntu 8.10 and have minimal options in xorg.conf and saving xorg.conf works fine here. Try posting it and let's see if it can be worked out...