Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-08-03, 09:50 PM   #1
leyon

Default [help!] how to configure the new kernel 2.4.21 about nforce2?

My os is redhat 9.
After I compiled the new kernel 2.4.21,
I wanna install the latest nforce2 driver.
But when I make it,
it always says "unsolved symbols...".
The nvnet.o can not be installed properly and can not be used.

So, who can tell me how to configure the kernel ,
in order to make the nforce2 driver work ?

thanks you very much !
leyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-03, 08:20 PM   #2
geowiz

The 2.4.21 kernel only needs the nvnet module, not the audio or the ide driver to get the Nforce2 board working.

I unpacked the nforce tar file and changed directory to the nforce/nvnet subdirectory, do a make clean, make and then make install. Works everytime.

It may be a silly question but did you remember to do a "make clean" ? Seems to me that in one hurried afternoon, I forgot and did the install of nvnet from the last kernel and got the "unresolved symbols" issue.

If you didn't set the 2.4.21 kernel to support AMD74XX in the IDE, ATA ATAPI Block devices then the disk DMA doesn't work. This switch is shown in the 2.4.22 series as AMD and nVidia IDE support.
geowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-03, 12:13 AM   #3
leyon

Quote:
Originally posted by geowiz
The 2.4.21 kernel only needs the nvnet module, not the audio or the ide driver to get the Nforce2 board working.

I unpacked the nforce tar file and changed directory to the nforce/nvnet subdirectory, do a make clean, make and then make install. Works everytime.

It may be a silly question but did you remember to do a "make clean" ? Seems to me that in one hurried afternoon, I forgot and did the install of nvnet from the last kernel and got the "unresolved symbols" issue.

If you didn't set the 2.4.21 kernel to support AMD74XX in the IDE, ATA ATAPI Block devices then the disk DMA doesn't work. This switch is shown in the 2.4.22 series as AMD and nVidia IDE support.
thank you very much !
i will try tonight .

ps, could you attach your kernel config file here to let me to refer ?
Old 07-14-03, 06:20 AM   #4
leyon

Quote:
I'm a newbie ,so I'm a silly guy too.
Now, it's ok !
my nvnet works properly now,
thx a lot !
Old 08-27-03, 09:32 PM   #5
deathazre

Quote:
same with .22 I assume? getting said errors, only in nvsound.
deathazre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-03, 10:24 PM   #6
geowiz

Default Sound

Should be the same. Of course you don't have to use nvsound, the kernel i810_audio module is identical (well, it was in 2.4.20) and works well.

I've used i810_audio for testing but I generally use the ALSA sound modules. http://www.alsa-project.org/index-ok.php3

If the Intel 810 audio is built in the kernel, go ahead and use that instead of nvsound. Then there's no need to rebuild nvsound every kernel change as i810 is already there ;-) (I'm lazy).

The only change needed (assuming the i810 audio is in the kernel) is to change the /etc/modules.conf file and replace nvsound with i810_audio. (My entry for that in the modules.conf file looks like: alias snd-card-0 i810_audio .)

Good luck
geowiz is offline   Reply With Quote