Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-30-08, 10:46 PM   #13
mojoman0

Default Re: Blu-ray is dead - heckuva job, Sony!

its a shame sony has dumped so much dope into these new technologies that never catch on i.e. Blu-ray and PS3 (cell). I feel like they deserve better than what they have been handed for their achievements. What is sony's #1 profit source btw?
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 04:07 AM   #14
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
So how much bandwidth is required to watch a streaming blu-ray quality 1080p video with high quality surround audio?
Around 48 mb/s (40mb for video and 8mb for uncompressed audio) for very high quality streams like transformers(blu-ray).
Old 10-31-08, 04:28 AM   #15
Viral
Registered User of Women

Well I can say without a doubt that HD streaming will never take off over here given the average internet connection is 10x too slow and offers 10x less of a dl cap a month than the average HD movie. We can thank the money hungry telstra for this crap. I can't stand it when people talk about the future being all DD when I'm stuck on an 8Mb connection with 25GB DL/m for $80/m. I'm not the norm by far, the average connection is probably around 512Kb with 2GB/m.

ADSL2 at 24Mbit would help (still nowhere near enough) if they eased up on the dl caps, but even then, telstra have priority on exchanges (pretty much exclusive telstra everywhere but capitol cities) so I can't go with any other ISP but them in my area. I'd rather not pay twice as much for 10GB/m with uploads included :\

Anyway, end rant. But my point is, some countries have retarded governments that sell off the major public telephone company with near 100% of the communications infastructure so that they can dominate the market and keep it exactly how they want it - give us nothing and charge us everything. So, I'm sorry, but DD for HD movies won't work on a global scale.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 05:13 AM   #16
Jon

For me, bluray has 3 major problems at the moment.

1:- Originally I was attempting to watch bluray on my PC which took hours of fiddling, patching power dvd, extra software for copy protection cause we are not allowed to watch store bought blurays on our own tvs. In the end I just got fed up with messing about for 30 mins while friends eyed each other impatiently wondering when I would finally get a film playing. So just went back to buying dvd.

So then I get a PS3... and this is what every household needs, convenience. Having a standalone bluray player makes a big difference as I can just shove the disc in and so far all have worked first time. Reviving my interest in bluray.

So then
2:- Price. Blurays are double the price of dvds here. So I have to think, is this film good enough that I want to see it on bluray? At the moment its about 1/3 that I get on bluray with the other 2/3rds being dvd. If they were the same price, or close enough, I would go blu every time!

3:- And this is the most unforgivable for me. I bought Wanted on DVD last week... I paid 9.90 for it. I was really looking forward to seeing it. I wanted the bluray but:

Wanted (Blu-ray)
Due for release on 01/12/2008

So lets get this right... if I want to watch the future, I not only have to pay more... I have to wait another 2 months!? For a film I really want to see! Whats the point, bluray is killing itself.

If bluray wants to win, it needs to get the bluray on the shelf 2 months before the dvd version, not the other way round. Then they might shift a few more players!
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 06:00 AM   #17
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I have around 10 BD.

Prolly around 20 HD-DVD.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 07:45 AM   #18
betterdan

HD DVD was better.
Old 10-31-08, 08:30 AM   #19
ViN86

i still think HD-DVD would sell better.

usually, if anyone who doesnt really know anything about TV see's HD in front of a label they do know (DVD), they get interested and want to buy it. but Blu-Ray puts the product at a handicap from the get go lol.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 09:41 AM   #20
Bman212121

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but a lot of influence would also come from the economy. If you had to trim the fat on your expenditures I'd be willing to guess movies would be one of the first to go.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-08, 11:48 AM   #21
Medion

Quote:
As for holodisc.....If blu-ray can't make it. I don't see how this holodisc will.
It depends. A less greedy consortium behind it, lower royalty fees, could lead to more realistic pricing. Not right off the bat, of course. Also, Blu-Ray promised HD, but a lot of what I'm watching on it is overly compressed, not to mention almost all special features are standard definition.

If there is still room for a physical media over digital distribution, Blu-Ray was never anything more than a stop-gap. By 2015, it looks to be OLED televisions and HoloDisc as the format.

Quote:
I think the main problem is everyone was afraid to jump on the blu-ray band wagon in case it failed. But now it's failing because nobody jumped on it. The same thing will happen with holodisc.
Everyone was afraid of jumping on Blu-Ray because it had tough competition. Once Blu-Ray won though, the new excuse became the price. If Holodisc can launch in a way similar to how HD-DVD did (working players, uniform spec, the ability to price low, etc.), it has a chance at real market penetration. Also, it would be launching at a better time. Because, while DVD only required having a television set, Blu-Ray requires an HDTV. So, Blu-Ray's market penetration is also dependent on the market penetration of HD televisions.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 02:48 PM   #22
ViN86

i think BD is failing cause it's owned by Sony. aka money hungry corporation that only cares about DRM and content protection.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 04:19 PM   #23
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I feel Sony isn't that bad. On PSN if I buy a soundtrack, it's DRM free. On my MD player if I put a track on I can check it out 3 times, before I need to check them back in. My Mini Disc player plays ANY CD. My Sony clock radio plays any radio station. No questions.

Stop with the FUD ViN.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 05:20 PM   #24
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I feel Sony isn't that bad. On PSN if I buy a soundtrack, it's DRM free. On my MD player if I put a track on I can check it out 3 times, before I need to check them back in. My Mini Disc player plays ANY CD. My Sony clock radio plays any radio station. No questions.

Stop with the FUD ViN.
Wow.

You never cease to amaze.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote