Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-27-03, 11:32 PM   #1
beowulf573

Default SN41G2, X11 lockups, RH9 and TV-OUT

I've got a small SN41G2 box that I'm setting up as a music server. (GeForce4 MX)

Using the latest nforce drivers I was able to get S/PDIF out working, sounds fantastic, and I run the TV-OUT (SVIDEO) over to the TV which I'll use as my primary display.

However, I suffer from inevitable lockups under XFree. Usually it takes 10-20 minutes, but it will happen. I can't find any correlation with anything I'm doing to cause the lock. Usually I'm just using mozilla or xmms.

The mouse will still move the cursor, but the keyboard is dead. I can go to another machine and ssh in and reboot.

glxgears seems to hardlock the system, so I just don't load the glx module. Annoying but I think I could live with that.

Current I have acpi turned off (acpi=off on the kernel line in grub) and NvAGP set to '1', Setting it to '0' seems to cause X11 to fault back to the terminal with a 'caught signal 11'.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Eddie
beowulf573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-03, 12:34 PM   #2
osrogon

Default Check for RenderAccel

I have the same system than you (but SuSE 8.2 instead of RedHat) and although I'm not using it as a music server (nor TVOUT or s/pdif) I've realized that if I set RenderAccel option to true (look for it in "Device" section of your XF86Config file), my system will lockup after a while. Removing RenderAccel from my XF86Config file solved the problem.
osrogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-03, 12:39 PM   #3
osrogon

Default Opps!

I don't know why I thought you were using RedHat. Sorry!
osrogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-03, 01:07 PM   #4
beowulf573

Actually I am using RedHat, you were right the first time.

Hmm, I don't believe I have RenderAccel set, and it defaults to 'false', right? I'll try explicitly setting it to 'false' and try it out.

thanks,
Eddie
beowulf573 is offline   Reply With Quote