Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-01-08, 04:38 PM   #37
mullet

Default Re: Blu-ray is dead - heckuva job, Sony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris View Post
Too much of a spread. The BD is 60% more expensive.
Ok.

Blu-Ray for $15.99
DVD for $10.99
Old 11-01-08, 06:02 PM   #38
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Wow.

You never cease to amaze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
I hope you're joking like you normally do. Sony practically invented rootkits, and they weren't even sorry for being caught. Sony and EA are pretty much the main offenders when it comes to intrusive DRM.
Yeah I was joking. I don't even remember posting that crap. Probably celebrating Halooween a little to hard...

Yeah that's it. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 06:47 PM   #39
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Yes by that time the people who are too cheap to pay for cable or satellite tv will automatically stop being cheap and instead buy expensive blu ray players and movies.
My friend lives on tips and he got a 720p Samsung 32'' though he doesn't have blu-ray, but that just shows you even poor people can afford a $500 TV.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 07:20 PM   #40
RupertBanana
The Best Far Cry player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post
Yeah, just like PC gaming is dead, right?

It's dead in retail stores.
Old 11-01-08, 10:27 PM   #41
npras42
Hi Everybody!

lol What a load of toss! If BR dies and we're all forced to watch Digital Distribution films then I'd say we're on the verge of taking ten steps backwards. You people are the same ones complaining that HD-DVD had such superior IQ compared to BR. Do you really think these NetFlix films are even in the same league as either of them.

Sony needs to lower prices for the sake of us techy nerds. I don't want to watch second-rate videos streamed to my TV for the next 5 years and I know that such a service would be rolled out so poorly in the UK that it would mean the death of pretty much all HQ home video entertainment. I'm totally serious. Whatever you want to say about Sony's track record, in my book BR has worked perfectly well in 99% of situations as a video format and has not been overly intrusive with DRM. I still haven't watched a single P-in-P commentary track so what a waste of energy all that complaining was about that.

If anything its this idea of dig distribution that needs to die not BR. Unfortunately, the product has been left in the hands of Sony and they have shown to be totally inept at these things.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 10:56 PM   #42
mullet

HAHA whats a "toss"?
Old 11-01-08, 10:56 PM   #43
Q

The vast majority of people don't care about HD.

/Thread
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 10:58 PM   #44
mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
The vast majority of people don't care about HD.

/Thread
Wrong. If the disk were cheaper this would be a issue.

Old 11-01-08, 11:36 PM   #45
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertBanana View Post
It's dead in retail stores.
Not with the way Steam is abusing us. 69.95USD for Fallout 3 ONTOP of the crappy AUD?

BD will be popular here in AU where we just don't have the unlimited broadband to stream HD content, both now and in the future. Things are getting more expensive here in AU for ISPs. The TIO causing strife, the crap AUD, big wholesalers like EFTel laying off their Aussie staff just to survive.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 11:52 PM   #46
Lyme

blu-ray missed it's chance to really hit primetime, http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/n...y-5-years-left.phtml

And, between the improvement in quality, interactivity vs price and drm, blu-ray is taking it's sweet time to gain real market acceptance http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2...-home-video-market/1

With the down turn with many economies, there are few interested in a $200+ player for movies that cost $10 more than their regular counterparts. If the studios really wanted blu-ray to take off, they would remove the premium.

Otherwise, a significant portion of the population simply doesn't notice or care about the difference from dvd to blu-ray. My wife shown the same movie in both, either didn't care or didn't notice. I've had the same story reinforced when inquiring about other wives thoughts.

If blu-ray manages to get to 50% of the market within the next two years, I'll be amazed.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 12:49 AM   #47
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
Wrong. If the disk were cheaper this would be a issue.
I'll agree to a degree. If Blu-ray cost the same as DVD, sales would slightly favor BR...in a couple years. Most people just want the movie on a disk.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 09:16 AM   #48
RupertBanana
The Best Far Cry player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Not with the way Steam is abusing us. 69.95USD for Fallout 3 ONTOP of the crappy AUD?

I went looking to buy Bioshock, FC2 and Mass Effect and came back with nothing.......I ended up buying ME from ebay and haven't seen a good deal on the other 2 yet.

BD requires a large HDTV, 50in or greater IMO......if you've seen BD on a 58in plasma, you'll know what I mean, but now we're talking big bickies, on top of a 5.1-7.1+player and cost of discs.