Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-07-08, 08:31 AM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Microsoft disses Hybrid SLI and CrossFire, won't support them in Windows 7

We're expecting a ton of new laptops to support hybrid graphics thanks to chipsets like NVIDIA's soon-to-be-ubiquitous GeForce 9400M, but Microsoft isn't as enamored with hybrid graphics as most everyone else seems to be -- it says it won't be natively supporting them in Windows 7. In a just-released document titled Guidelines for Graphics in Windows 7, the company discourages manufacturers from shipping systems with hybrid graphics like ATI's CrossFire and NVIDIA's Hybrid SLI, claiming they're "unstable and provide a poor user experience." Oh, snap. One less reason to install Windows 7 on your MacBook Pro, eh wot?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/06/m...pport-them-in/
Old 11-07-08, 08:51 AM   #2
Absolution
AbsoUI

Default Re: Microsoft disses Hybrid SLI and CrossFire, won't support them in Windows 7

Why would you get a dedicated graphics chip in a macbook?
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 04:06 PM   #3
einstein_314
w00t!!

Default Re: Microsoft disses Hybrid SLI and CrossFire, won't support them in Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
Why would you get a dedicated graphics chip in a macbook?
So you can play teh games!!!

This is too bad really. My plan was that my next laptop would have hybrid graphics. I do a bunch of 3d CAD work and integrated just isn't enough. But at the same time I want great battery life. So hybrid SLI was the perfect solution.

So it looks like it would still work....you'd just need to install stuff to make it work?
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 05:55 PM   #4
npras42
Hi Everybody!

It just means the situation for hybrid graphics will be exactly the same as it is now for Vista. This is a shame because the process could've been made more streamlined and effective but MS don't like this particular route (probably because it is not a very elegant solution), so they won't support it themselves. Worse is that they are recommending vendors don't use this method either so it may start disappearing from new laptops.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote