Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-12-02, 02:28 PM   #1
Switch

Default Soltek KT400 board... something's just not right...

At least with the picture anyway. Linkage If I recall correctly, all AMD motherboards after the KT133 were required to have the four heatsink attachment holes surrounding the processor socket. Could just be a preproduction picture. I did think the layout was rather clean; no visible traces and such.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-02, 02:58 PM   #2
pelly

Sadly enough...the picture tells the truth...Soltek and a few other mobo vendors are removing these four mounting holes....I have no idea why...all I know is those using watercoolers are not going to be happy campers...

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-02, 03:32 PM   #3
Switch

Quote:
Originally posted by pelly
Sadly enough...the picture tells the truth...Soltek and a few other mobo vendors are removing these four mounting holes....I have no idea why...all I know is those using watercoolers are not going to be happy campers...

No, say it isn't true.... I don't water cool, but I like having my monster heatsinks attached by the holes instead of the socket.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-02, 01:05 AM   #4
CainSyris
This is MY boomstick!

Quote:
Originally posted by pelly

Old news.

I believe it was Hardocp that reported earlier this year that the mounting holes had been removed from the recommendations (or was it requirements?) by AMD and that we should expect that motherboards in the near future might come lacking the mounting holes. Hence, most KT400 boards do not have the holes to accomodate water cooling or... for instance, my Swiftech MCX-462. Fortunately, my new Asus A7V8x does indeed have the holes and so does the new Abit, if I recall correctly.

The Gigabyte and MSI boards both seem to be missing the holes this time, though.

I suspect they did this to promote easy to use heatsinks. Or perhaps it saves money for the OEM's. Heh. Regardless, it is a shame.

But known for quite a while.
CainSyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-02, 09:19 PM   #5
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA
Unhappy

Why would you want to remove the holes if waterblocks need them to prevent CPU and/or socket damage?

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-02, 10:06 PM   #6
netviper13
Treehugger

Probably because they know the dangers associated with water cooling so they won't officially support it.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-02, 07:18 AM   #7
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA
Question

Dangers? What dangers? I thought the only danger with watercooling was that a hose would come loose and pour water everywhere

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-02, 12:53 PM   #8
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

condensation is another.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-02, 04:03 PM   #9
LuckyNV

some HSF need those holes though.