Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-13-08, 05:08 PM   #1
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Default Need some help making medical website

Hi guys - this will probably require a fair bit of your time so I apologise in advance,

I'm currently making a website for a hospital to let people learn about the endoscopic procedure they are about to have and then fill in a consent form online, which they can then print out, sign and then bring in to hospital.

Right, first off, this is the first website I have ever made and I'm using Dreamweaver CS4 to help me do it. I'm a medical student not a CS major or even a "web expert" of any kind. I know that some of you will probably scoff at the methods I have used.

Anyway, the bit I need help with is the consent form.

Here is the start of the particular page I am interested in:
http://www.nijinski.force9.co.uk/C1.html

Its a complete mess at the moment I know but I really just need to work out how to do it and then I can re-do it properly later. There are three specific things I need help with:

1) I need to create a form where all the fields are required. As in they can't submit the form until all the boxes have been filled in. This will also require an Agreement tick box, like the one's you get on TOS agreements when you install software: "I understand all the information given to me and agree to the procedure" [TICKBOX].

2) Depending on certain options they pick, I need other options to appear. Specifically, I need to ask them if they are diabetic, and if they answer "Yes" then there are additional questions I need to ask them.

3) I need the results they have inputted to be shown on a plain page with some formatting, which they can then print out at home and sign+date.

I know I'm a PITA but I'd really appreciate if someone who knows their web development could help me.

Thanks,
Neil.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-08, 05:55 PM   #2
ViN86

Default Re: Need some help making medical website

id do it with PHP. im really sorry i dont have the time to help atm
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-08, 06:06 PM   #3
XDanger
Whaaat?

Isn't there a consent form already?

Are you creating a different form ?

Will the patient details from the online form be added to the existing form when printed out, Is that whats happening?
Old 11-13-08, 06:14 PM   #4
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
id do it with PHP. im really sorry i dont have the time to help atm
No probs. Considering I have no idea what I'm doing would this be feasible for me to learn how to do it within 4-5 days using PHP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
Isn't there a consent form already?

Are you creating a different form ?

Will the patient details from the site be added to the existing form when printed out, Is that whats happening?
There's no national consent form for endoscopic procedures specifically. It is up to each individual NHS Trust to decide whether to provide a specific one or just use a generalised surgical consent form.

The point of the site is to reduce the workload on doctors and improve patient knowledge about the procedure they are about to have. Docs often don't have enough time to go through all the details of a procedure before getting a patient to sign the form. They give them a short brief about it and basically just say "Sign here."

With this website patients who are listed for elective endoscopy procedures will be sent home with the website address and told to read the relevant section. Once they are done they will answer the questions I talk about above, print out the page and bring the signed form in with them on the day they are booked to have it done. This will save around 10-20 minutes per patient on that day's endoscopy list for the doctor.
Old 11-13-08, 07:13 PM   #5
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by npras42 View Post
No probs. Considering I have no idea what I'm doing would this be feasible for me to learn how to do it within 4-5 days using PHP?
yes, it's very easy tbh.

look into PHP and HTML forms and how to use the $_POST superglobal. the tutorial section will help a little.

if you have any C experience or HTML experience you will pick it up in a few hours.
Old 11-14-08, 09:37 AM   #6
nrs421

i'd start here.

http://www.w3schools.com/
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-08, 10:16 AM   #7
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Thanks for that. I found the right section ($_POST) and it makes sense to me so I just need to try it out now. Hopefully I can get it to all work smoothly!
Old 11-17-08, 07:19 AM   #8
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Hmm why not just make an adobe PDF form that patients can fill out, print and then sign?

http://www.hartnell.cc.ca.us/faculty...PDF%20Form.pdf

This is the kind of form I'm talking about:

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/forms/382form.pdf

Old 11-17-08, 12:29 PM   #9
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Yeah I thought of that but there's a few problems:

a) I don't like pdf files because some people don't have it installed, and although this probably won't be recommended to your grandmother and the like, I'd rather have 1 less issue to worry about in the successful outcome of someone using the site.

b) Are there any tools to make sure that they have filled in the form correctly? i.e. They must tick and print in all the required fields before printing the file out.

c) I don't have Adobe Acrobat, and neither do the university clusters from which I am completing this site.
Old 11-17-08, 02:39 PM   #10
ViN86

PM sent
Old 11-17-08, 05:38 PM   #11
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Hey mate. Thanks for the offer but I've been really busy with other stuff tonight... I looked at the other PHP guide thread you made which was really helpful, as well as the site nrs421 linked.

I've got a PHP server set up now and got a basic form running. Click the same link above and you can type in some details and see that it now functions in a basic way.

I'm finding this website building quite fun really. Its not what I'd call difficult - I know that it can get very advanced but on as basic level I mean - but there's a ton of stuff you pick up just googling techniques and stuff.

Anyway, the bit I'm struggling with is making form fields "required". Basically when the person submits the form, it needs to check that they have filled in each box and ticked the boxes. If they haven't it needs to come back with an error telling them they have to fill in the incomplete forms in order to continue.

I've provided a copy of the PHP code I made as well as the page with the form on.

I know that it is possible to do the check with JavaScript but from the few examples I read about I didn't really get how it worked. I was hoping you may be able to help me with an example of checking the fields before submission. If I understand how it is done with one of my fields I'll be able to use that info for the rest. The actual design of the site is far from final.

C1 - copy.txt should be .html
Submit - Copy.txt should be .php

Another problem I am having which is a design issue is between IE and Firefox. If you look at the footer div for some reason the text doesnt line up vertically on IE but works fine with FF. In the end what I'd like is for the height of the div to only be a little more than the text it holds. Just like the one at the bottom of the nvnews forum page which contains "Contact Us - nV News - Archive - Top".
Attached Files
File Type: txt C1 - Copy.txt (7.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: txt Submit - Copy.txt (1.1 KB, 116 views)
Old 11-17-08, 07:07 PM   #12
ViN86

do the checks with PHP

Code:
<?php

if (!isset($_POST['fieldname'])){
     // Error code here
}

?>
another option is the empty() function

Code:
<?php

if (empty($_POST['fieldname'])){
     // Error code here
}

?>
you can use a java popup to alert the user that they need to enter all fields. also, you should fill the textboxes/checkboxes with the posted material so ppl dont need to re-enter all the fields again.