Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-29-03, 09:30 PM   #1
Son Goku

Default Well that does it, when I upgrade my AV software, I will not stick with Norton

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/32557.html

Quote:
Symantec adds product activation
By John Leyden
Posted: 29/08/2003 at 11:05 GMT

Symantec is embracing product activation technology with Norton AntiVirus 2004, to "protect users from pirated or counterfeit software".

This is the first time the security software giant has introduced product activation. In due course it plans to introduce the technology across its entire consumer product line.

Del Smith, senior product manager at Symantec, told The Register that the technology will stem "large scale pirating" of its software. According to Symantec, 3.6 million units of bootleg Symantec software are sold per year.

According to Smith this figure does not include loses from software downloads and is a "conservative" estimate. Symantec doesn't say how much this piracy costs the company in lost revenues.

"Our primary motivation for introducing product activation is to protect our customers but it's probably true to say that we probably wouldn't have introduced the technology but for the problem we have with large scale counterfeiting," he said.

Symantec's product activation process is similar to that of Microsoft Windows XP. The product activation technology is licensed from a third party, which Symantec declines to name for "security reasons".

According to the company its product activation process is so simple and unobtrusive that users won't resent it.

After installing Norton AntiVirus 2004, users get 15 days grace to activate the product; the program won't work after the deadline unless the activation is completed.

A software wizard takes users through the activation process. Users are prompted to enter a software key and the wizard sends this key and the configuration of a PC to Symantec's servers that respond with a code that activates a user's package.

To enable hardware upgrades or load the software on new PCs, users can run through the product activation process a maximum of five times. However Smith stresses
that the licensing terms of NAV 2004 are not changing with the introduction of product activation. Users are still only permitted to load a copy of Symantec's anti-virus toolkit on one computer or laptop.

When Microsoft introduced product activation with Windows XP many expressed fears over privacy implications as well as the ability of the technology to cope with basic changes of configuration in PC hardware.

According to Smith, more than 250,000 users had completed the NAV product activation process in trials involving English language downloads of NAV 2003 "without complaints".

Symantec keeps data from its product activation process separate from registration information, he added.

The company plans to introduce the activation technology across all English-language versions of its 2004 consumer product range, including Norton SystemWorks, Norton Internet Security, and Norton Personal Firewall.
Well I've used and payed for Norton Antivirus since the 1990s, but with this added "feature" I will not buy NAV 2004. And despite their argument of tieing the software to the hardware and going the WPA route "for the customer" that is really a cleaver piece of spin to keep people from noticing/stating the obvious.

Microsoft did this with Windows yes, but Windows holds a practical monopoly on the home user desktop operating system market. Last I saw, Norton holds no such near practicable monopoly on the AV software market. The result of this, I got Windows XP from MSDN subscription (which I have not since renewed, but I absolutely refused to buy Office XP for this one thing alone (another thing I upgraded and payed for, with each version that came out previously from Office 95 on). Besides Office 2000 really does what one needs anyway...any added features, some of which are annoying like auto-complete and Mr. Clippy anyhow, aren't worth WPA.

As long as the competition doesn't include this policeware "feature" I can easily go elsewhere. Last I checked, one doesn't have to think about software compatibility with their AV software, as one does with OSes Who's used McCafee? And does it include something similar? Anyhow, Symantec is no Microsoft for pushing such schemes on the consumer. Here, competition does yet remain.

Last edited by Son Goku; 08-29-03 at 09:37 PM.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 10:05 PM   #2
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

I still don't understand what the big deal is?

I've never had a problem with Windows XP's product activation. I have two copies for 2 PC's. One PC even went over the limit a CD key can be installed and activated before Microsoft get's all uppity. I called them, straightened it out and all was peaches.

It doesn't bother me that software companies want me to activate their products to try and keep piracy down. I don't have anything to fear because I don't steal software and I don't pass it around. I don't feel it's an invasion of my privacy because if Nortons product activation is anything like XP, I don't have to give them any vital information anyway.
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 11:53 PM   #3
Son Goku

Quote:
Originally posted by intercede007
I still don't understand what the big deal is?

I've never had a problem with Windows XP's product activation. I have two copies for 2 PC's. One PC even went over the limit a CD key can be installed and activated before Microsoft get's all uppity. I called them, straightened it out and all was peaches.
Well if you want to have to call them to "explain things" that's your choice. But I have better things to do with my time then call them on the phone, wait on hold (when I could be doing other things), and plead for the right to install something I already paid for. To hell if I want to even talk to some phone jockey to get permission to install something after I gave them my cash. It's my time, not theirs, and also a matter of principal.

And if one of these phone jockeys gets all upity and accusatory with me, they better be prepared for some reciprication Because I will give them a piece of my mind if I get that...case closed and there is no fricken way in hell I will budge if they get all uppity with me either.

Quote:
It doesn't bother me that software companies want me to activate their products to try and keep piracy down.
More spin, and I doubt this might end here. This could be a prelude for pay per use software...which is something else I won't vote with my dollars in support of...not when there are other kids on the block. I'm also opposed to the tieing of software to hardware. The only reason on some RISC systems some people hadn't minded it was they didn't upgrade their systems in like 5 years or so.

In any case your argument is like saying only criminals need consider someone else prying into their affairs. And beyond that, I simply do not want to take time out of my busy life to speak with these people on the phone. It's my life, and my time...and I'm not paying to have to call some phone jockey for permission to install a piece of software...not as long as their is competition that doesn't require this, and unlike a change in OS wouldn't effect compatibility with any of my other software. They can require other people to call them, I do not want to talk to them for this, nor am I willing to be forced to have to explain my installs...

M$ could push this because of their market share...but Symantec does not have Mircosoft's marketshare to force things on consumers... They do have more substantial competition...so as for my dollars, my mind is already made up. They lost themselves at least one paying customer...

Last edited by Son Goku; 08-29-03 at 11:57 PM.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-03, 05:23 AM   #4
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy

I agree Son Goku. I've had it up to my bald scalp with the WindowsXP reactivation crapola and I'm not going to be dealing with that all over again over piddly ass $30 anti-virus software. In fact, because of all that "phone home" crap, WindowsXP will be my LAST Microsoft OS. No Longhorns, Bullhorns, or Foghorns - I'm going Linux next time around.
Old 08-31-03, 05:42 AM   #5
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Product activation in such a small bit of software is kind of ludicrous. Windows XP made me vomit after a while. Now I'm quite happily pearched on my win2k box
Old 08-31-03, 11:07 PM   #6
Riptide

Product activation sucks. I rebuild my machine frequently enough that it's a hassle. DVDXcopy gets a few activations and then it refuses to work until I call them up w/my license code and they reactivate it.

It's not a huge deal, but when you already spend a lot of time getting everything reinstalled it's just one more thing on top of it all...
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-03, 09:49 AM   #7
1stFlight

Okay here's the $30 dollar question...

Has Product Activation actualled lowered the cost of anything?

Friedrich Nietzsche
-------------------------------------------------
[u]Desktop[/u]
AMD AthlonXP 2500 | Corsair CAS2 2x256MB | AOpen AK79G-1394 Nforce2 | GeForce4 4200 128MB | 80 & 60 GB WesternDigital HD's | WinXP & RH Linux 9.0

[u]Laptop[/u]
Dell Inspiron 8600 - Centrino 1.6, 768MB ram, 9600pro 128, WSXGA+ screen
1stFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-03, 09:50 AM   #8
digitalwanderer

Meh. I just avoid that which I care not for, it don't stop me.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote