Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-24-08, 09:58 AM   #49
Tr1cK
not coming back

Default Re: Windows 7 FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Its a timed bombed beta. Not the same as a game with a crack that is full retail. I can't believe some people don't even understand that there is a difference. MS put this out for Devs to play with. If they didn't think this would make the rounds they wouldn't have timed bombed it - plus it's not even a beta... so it's worthless in the monetary sense. Alot different than a finished $50 retail game with a crack bypassing its security!

I have a feeling you are just jealous its not running on your PC right now. Its not like anyone is giving out links to download it, just conversation about something that is in early beta.

Tr1ck no one is even advocating piracy. All I can say is Windows 7 is alot faster and better than Vista!!
Are you a Dev? Devs don't 'acquire' things through torrent sites.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 10:20 AM   #50
spokenfor
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist View Post
Care to provide some benchmarks or you're gonna just continue to drivel? I bet you a cookie there's no FPS difference whatsoever.
+1
spokenfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 11:02 AM   #51
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK View Post
Are you a Dev? Devs don't 'acquire' things through torrent sites.
I never said I got it through torrents. But why do you guys keep pushing the piracy thing? I just said I got it from a friend. How do you know he's not a dev? Besides I don't and haven't said anything about where to get it from or where I got it from. I've just been discussing that it's faster. All this "piracy" talk is you guys doing it.

In conclusion - Windows 7 is much faster than Vista. I am very happy with where it's going.

...and that was the point of the thread. Close it if you want, thats all I was trying to let people here know about it. I'm done.

Now... if anyone is really interested in benchmarks I'm installing a few games that I have on my Vista HD and will post a few numbers later. I'm not spending hours benching but I will show a few comparisons.
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 11:13 AM   #52
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I really hope MS has learned from their mistakes and fix the problems in Vista. I want a faster OS, one that doesn't weigh your rig down even when you have an awesome rig. If Windows 7 can be released with the Vista problems fixed, I'll be sold and will upgrade on the spot. Optimize the code MS!!! That's all I ask.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 11:50 AM   #53
spokenfor
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I want a faster OS, one that doesn't weigh your rig down even when you have an awesome rig.
Q6600 here at 3.4ghz along with 4gbs of ram and Vista 64sp1. I dont know where your coming from but my Vista rig is very snappy.
Old 11-24-08, 11:52 AM   #54
spokenfor
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Now... if anyone is really interested in benchmarks I'm installing a few games that I have on my Vista HD and will post a few numbers later. I'm not spending hours benching but I will show a few comparisons.

Im not so sure about this, I see your despise for Vista is pretty apparent so I will just wait for official bench marks to show up as yours may be doctored for all we know.
Old 11-24-08, 11:56 AM   #55
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Both systems using 180.48 drivers. The Vista HD is WD640 AAKS, the Windows 7 is a slower 320GB Seagate. Vista is beta SP2!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Left 4 Dead

However since the game is capped 60 FPS so the avg is the same. Gameplay feels alot different however...

Vista SP2 -
2008-11-24 12:28:57 - left4dead
Frames: 5040 - Time: 84062ms - Avg: 59.955 - Min: 59 - Max: 61

Windows 7 -
2008-11-24 12:24:03 - left4dead
Frames: 5117 - Time: 85345ms - Avg: 59.956 - Min: 59 - Max: 61

Winner: Windows 7 by a mile. There is a bad Mouse lag in Vista, non-existant in Windows 7 makes 7 feel much faster and smoother.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Far Cry 2 1.01
DX10, 1680x1050, 2xAA, Very High (global)

Vista SP2 -
Avg 64.20
Max 84.92
Min 53.40

Windows 7
Avg 67.89
Max 91.00
Min 55.80

Winner: Again, Windows 7 - it just feels smoother. Framerates show it's slightly faster in Windows 7. All hardware is the same but the HD is much faster than Vista is on.

Crysis Warhead

Vista SP2 - having issues, won't run currently.

Windows 7 -

DX9
min 17
avg 28
max 34

DX10
min 18
avg 28
max 33

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rebooting to test boot up times and shutdown... BRB

Vista SP2 -
Startup from beep to working curser 36 seconds
Shutdown 24 seconds

Windows 7 -
Startup from beep to working curser 36 seconds
Shutdown 24 seconds

Looks like SP2 already has the same optimizations that Windows 7 does for shutdown and start up proceedures.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all I'd say the mouse lag in Vista is really the main factor. So far what I've felt and measured put Vista closer to Windows 7 than I thought. The mouse lag is a huge issue though cause I went right from L4D in W7 to Vista and it felt like it was about 1/2 as fast. I never really recognized this input lag with Vista till I could really feel it now. Windows 7 still feels alot snappier surfing and on the desktop, memory usage is about 600 MB idle while Vista SP2 is about 900MB. Pre SP1 is about 1.2GB. Windows 7 is looking good, I resolved the COD WAW issue with updated sound drivers. I have no issue to report at this time.
Old 11-24-08, 02:45 PM   #56
six_storm

Mailman - I don't see much difference in frame rates there . . . typo?

Old 11-24-08, 04:45 PM   #57
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
no, read about the mouse lag though. Significant amount of it in Vista. I havent benched every game I've tried, just the easy ones with bench utilities built in. Left 4 Dead has a FPS cap but its alot smoother in Windows 7. So really FC2 was the only one and they are both DX10 and there was only a slight measureable amount of difference.

There are still big differences with amount of system resources and ram being used between the 2 OSes. Also, keep in mind I have the latest SP2 beta installed in Vista - so my benchmarks and a SP1 or pre-SP1 OS would prolly be slower.

I still vouche for Windows 7, its still faster all around and feels alot faster in games. COD WAW is faster but using a Fraps bench isnt really 100% accurate way to provide benchmarks. Also, keep in mind the drive I have Vista on is nearly twice as fast...
Old 11-24-08, 08:08 PM   #58
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Plz pay attention seven_storm.

I'm curious to try this 7. Has a 64bit beta been released? Are we even allowed to discuss this? I did spot a 32bit beta, but I haven't grabbed it yet.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 08:56 PM   #59
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Plz pay attention seven_storm.

I'm curious to try this 7. Has a 64bit beta been released? Are we even allowed to discuss this? I did spot a 32bit beta, but I haven't grabbed it yet.
I tried installing it on my junk 120GB hard drive and it would not setup a "setup partition". Oh well, I still have Windows 7 in a VM. I'll try to use it a little tonight. I would really like a solid x86 and x64 Beta with a key, maybe I can get one in a few months.
Old 11-24-08, 10:11 PM   #60
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
I tried installing it on my junk 120GB hard drive and it would not setup a "setup partition". Oh well, I still have Windows 7 in a VM. I'll try to use it a little tonight. I would really like a solid x86 and x64 Beta with a key, maybe I can get one in a few months.
Well this is beta with new builds coming all the time, but not being leaked. Don't expect a "solid one with key" for awhile. I've heard a public beta is scheduled sometime in January.