mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 04:57 PM   #14
aceflier
Bringer of teh Welt

Default Re: Never again will I buy DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
easy Joe, heel.

game installed once, driver change and he used all 5 activations, sure.

Like I said weather u believe me or not thats your choice I dont care I've got the game running again no thanks to EA.

Last email I got from email said 3 activations and you will have to purchase a new cd key so which is it 3 or 5? What a joke.
128gb Crusial Real SSD
750gb WD Black
Buggy wife RMA next week
Vantage P43697 3DMarks
3D Mark 11 P10008
aceflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 07:38 PM   #15
mojoman0

My copy of Warhead didnt even come with a cdkey but after calling ea they had me take a picture of my receipt and they gave me a new code. I prolly could have returned my copy for a 2nd key but I'm an Eagle Scout
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 11:17 PM   #16
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflier View Post
Like I said weather u believe me or not thats your choice I dont care I've got the game running again no thanks to EA.

Last email I got from email said 3 activations and you will have to purchase a new cd key so which is it 3 or 5? What a joke.
Either way, it's a lot more than the one you claim to have used. Also, you would know if it required it after you changed drivers, since you would have had to of re-entered the key and authorized another computer.

I honestly can't imagine how you guys are using up your activations in such a short period of time. I'm at exactly one used for all my games of this kind. Do you have this problem with iTunes?
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 05:28 PM   #17
aceflier
Bringer of teh Welt

I dont use ITunes...

And I only installed the game 1 time on one computer and never got any kind of message to enter a CD key at any point in starting a game.

One day it just said FU buy another key.

Seriously its a freegin $20 game why would I lie about it?

I spend 20 on my breakfast w/kids every day.
128gb Crusial Real SSD
750gb WD Black
Buggy wife RMA next week
Vantage P43697 3DMarks
3D Mark 11 P10008
aceflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 06:14 PM   #18
LurkerLito

It's interesting I just ran Mass Effect and got no activation needed warnings. I have upgraded both my Windows and Games HDs and also my video card since the last time I ran it. So unless it stealthily went out and reactivated I should still be at 1 activation. Is there any way to check on how many activations you have?

It's interesting cause the way I upgraded my HDs was by cloning then resizing the HDs to use all the space so whatever SecuROM is using to check if the computer changed wasn't triggered. Though I am surprised that my video card didn't trigger an activation. Still I can't be sure if it didn't do it without notifying me.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 09:25 PM   #19
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflier View Post
I dont use ITunes...

And I only installed the game 1 time on one computer and never got any kind of message to enter a CD key at any point in starting a game.
Well, if it never really activated for a "new" computer, then there is an obvious technical issue. I would call customer support again and explain it calmly to them.

Honestly I don't blame them for not believing you, though. Every pirate has a story.
Old 11-30-08, 04:19 PM   #20
Koko56

Having briefly looked thought this thread, it's almost comical...

The whole "DRM" issue seems to have any sort of real effect on those who actually buy the games.

EDIT: NZ - why would a pirate, actually need help with getting a new key?

Old 11-30-08, 07:16 PM   #21
Elvin Presler

Angry Re: Never again will I buy DRM

Long stories short:

1. Half Life - GOTY Edition, bought back in the days of Counter Strike Beta 3. A few months or so later, Steam is invented. No problem, I'll register my key....not. "Your key has already been registered" It was never shared or even seen by anyone else. Turns out Sierra released duplicates to many people. Support solution: buy the game again. My response: "FU!!!"

2. Splinter Cell. Plays fine until I'm half way through the game and see a patch was released. Install it, game never runs again, some cryptic error message I forgot. After days of troubleshooting the cause was the patch updated the "copy protection" and had added my Lite-On CDRW to the black list (because it was a good one, capable of making a 1:1 copy). I could no longer play the game at all unless I removed that drive and bought some generic junk to replace it? Again, "FU!!!"

There were a few other games that refused to run unless I uninstalled CloneCD, Nero, or whatever it was at the time too. I refuse to do that. I will not be told what I may or may not install on my PC by a game publisher.

Since then, I don't buy games with copy protections I don't care for and I will NEVER even consider buying a game with ANY kind of "activation" scheme attached to them. If I can not install and play it on a completely isolated PC, no internet connection, I will not buy it. Ever. Period. That's all I am going to say about that...

Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 07:27 PM   #22
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko56 View Post
EDIT: NZ - why would a pirate, actually need help with getting a new key?
I didn't say he was a pirate, I just said these companies hear sob stories from pirates all the time. I remember this one dude asking for technical help on Assassin's Creed in another forum I go to, swearing on his LIFE he was not a pirate, and then one of the other forum members foung his exact name, birthday and location on a well known pirate forum where he bragged about never paying for a game since 5 years ago.

So... every pirate has a story. That's all I meant.
Old 11-30-08, 09:03 PM   #23
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

go cry pirate...
Soetdjuret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 11:18 PM   #24
Elvin Presler

Go buy....sucker.
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote