Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-02-08, 12:58 PM   #2041
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamalama View Post
That looks fantastic. What's the weather engine like? Does it still render that awful solid haze layer like ASX does.Although to be fair to ASX, that haze presents itself using the default real time weather as well.
So far I'm finding the weather engine a bit pants, as all I get is haze and I actually get far better results with ASX. I see there are a number of people suffering the same on the REX forum, and they are aware of the issue, so hopefully it will be sorted.

It does seem to have more than it's fair share of problems in general, not all due to the program I'm sure, but not the smoothest of starts. I am getting large blocks of black on the desktop during theme installation and the aforementioned haze, but otherwise it's not too bad for me.

Using my own 'user defined / advanced weather'

SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 04:44 PM   #2042
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Another slight moan -trying not to be negative here, honest - a lot of the cloud textures darkest areas are transparent, so if you have a cirrus layer above you can see it through the cumulus. They look fine against a blue sky, but not with a higher layer of cloud. That last shot of slaWter's shows the effect against the bright sky, where the cloud tops look lighter in places.

I guess your more vocal about the bad points and we do have the right, but I don't want to be seen as anti - after all I am a FEX beta tester, but I am also a REX paying customer.

Just for balance...I love the water, esp. with the 'Sparkles' animation, it is without doubt the best water I've seen - sorry Steve, even your fantastic normals can't compete here

This shot does not do justice, as I had the water too dark, but it's quite a nice image.
Old 12-02-08, 10:49 PM   #2043
Llamalama

Your right about the water. All the shots I've seen so far it's the water that stands out for me. They look "right" and very realistic. THe clouds are a mix bag. On some pics they are extreamly realistic on others very ordinary but it's the weather engine that was going to sell it to me. Maybe the product will mature as time goes on. Doesn't REX comes with other "enviroment" textures as well?,like runways,buildings, airport textures etc?. Haven't seen any screens for those yet.

Last edited by Llamalama; 12-03-08 at 01:11 AM. Reason: error
Llamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 03:07 AM   #2044
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Yes, it has ground textures, not buildings, and they do look nice - I don't tend to hang around for long at airports to notice them really, but I will post some shots later.

No grass though, which I thought was to be included.
Old 12-03-08, 01:53 PM   #2045
sillyeagle
sillyego

So far I find REX a bit frustrating, as it just doesn't seem to work like it's suppsoed too, or if its not that its confusing to the point where I can't figure it out. I've tried all kinds of stuff to get the "weather theme" from REX to load, but it does not happen. FSX always uses the weather theme that's selected in-game.

It gives me a pop up where I can tell it to use real weather, or use the REX theme, so I tell it to use the REX theme. Then when I click fly now it tells me to launch FSX first, then click ok to engage the weather engine. After that FSX loads up with the in-game theme as always.

I'm a fair weather flyer, and while the REX textures are awesome, they don't look good with the in-game fair weather theme. I'm sure they would look good with the REX fair weather theme, though I simply cant get it to activate.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 12-03-08, 02:33 PM   #2046
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Hey guys

killer shots gotta say REX looks pretty good but i think i'll wait till its had a SP or 2 as im reading that it has more than its fair share of niggles

its water themes interest me the most as like mark ive buit a few FEX cloud themes that im very happy with that can any one post a small video of it in motion? pref dx10 if possible

btw if you want to try building your own weather themes give this little progy a try

http://www.g-daehling.de/fs2004/modu...op=view&lid=11

fire it up build a theme then c&v the 3 files it makes in to your fsx weather folder and select it ifrom your FSX weather list
props to Private-Cowboy for the heads up on this progy

hope to be back simming over the weekend after i replace my motherboard

laters
steve
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 02:45 PM   #2047
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Yes, it's very odd. When I first saw the interface shots it looked so clean and simple I assumed it would be a breeze to use, but it feels really clunky and unintuitive. I'm not sure how the preset themes work either - if I don't select real world then it uses either my saved setting or an FSX theme, but not it's own...which you have to select if your not using 'real world'. Apart from the all encompassing mist, real world weather does some horrible things with the clouds at times too, giving ugly, messy unrealistic skies. I am going to go back to ASX for real world weather, which works much better and hope they sort it out.

The textures are mostly very nice though and I am very happy to have it as part of my texture arsenal.

EDIT: I type real slow......Steve, I will take a look at that - looks interesting. ATB getting back up and running.
Old 12-04-08, 08:06 AM   #2048
Bearclaw

Awesome shots guys!

Does anywhere here play or use Vatsim? I just joined recently and I can't believe I went so long without it. It's better, 10 fold, over the actual FSX multiplayer. You don't need as high as bandwidth, connection speed as well.

Old 12-04-08, 02:14 PM   #2049
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Hey mark

Did you get my PM about you picking out a 152 Uk base scheme?

laters
steve
Old 12-05-08, 03:35 AM   #2050
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzig View Post
Hey mark

Did you get my PM about you picking out a 152 Uk base scheme?

laters
steve
No, sorry Steve - I will reply right now...I normally get a popup when logging in, which didn't happen this time.

I posted these at FSW but I'll put them up here to - my best flight with REX yet, though I have to set up the weather myself.

One of my favorite short flights, from Caernarfon to Llanbedr in N. Wales around the coast.

Old 12-05-08, 07:09 AM   #2051
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I like the water/wave animation in your shots! Is that a custom animation or a pre-defined one?
The sea is custom - strange they should only inc. one ocean theme, a few pre-made onces would have been good - I put the plankton slider futher left to make it greener, and then added brightness and lowered contrast. The wave animation is 'Sparkling' and I'm also using the 'Ocean calm' FSWC preset.
Old 12-05-08, 12:03 PM   #2052
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Hey mark

Got the G-OWAC pic's she looks pretty stright foward although i might have to reduce the size of the reg text a little due to the UV mapping although i'll try and keep it as big as i can,if you not fussed about a unquie dirt patten (so i can reuse the layer from vh-igx)i can have it done in a few days after im back up and running

laters
steve