Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-08-08, 06:16 AM   #13
azenz

Default Re: 1920x1200 video playback performance

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice, I tried the refresh rate settings in compiz and no improvement. I do feel from the looks of it that this is some kind of performance issue and not a refresh rate issue, because the problem comes mostly in high motion scenes with lots of panning and movement (and not all the time). I am just not sure where the performance bottleneck is considering that my system has good specs.

I am attaching a bug log report (compressed because it exceeded the max file size) - I hope we can get to the roots of this issue!
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.tar.bz2 (31.5 KB, 96 views)
azenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 08:11 AM   #14
jcornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by azenz View Post
Hi guys, thanks for all the advice, I tried the refresh rate settings in compiz and no improvement. I do feel from the looks of it that this is some kind of performance issue and not a refresh rate issue, because the problem comes mostly in high motion scenes with lots of panning and movement (and not all the time). I am just not sure where the performance bottleneck is considering that my system has good specs.
That's precisely the behaviour you would expect if vsync was not working correctly. The tearing occurs because part of a previous frame is still being displayed while the next one is being written. In high motion scenes the tear is more obvious because the spatial disparity is larger.

A "performance" issue would manifest itself as a low frame rate, or dropped frames, neither of which is likely on a modern GPU that is just rendering (and not decoding) a video. The fix for me was to disable Sync to VBlank under "X Server XVideo Settings" in nvidia-settings and enable it in CompizConfig Settings Manager -> General Options -> Display Settings -> Sync to VBlank. Then using e.g. VLC with XVideo output the tearing goes away.
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 08:22 AM   #15
adamorjames

Make sure to have the nVIDIA settings config run at startup, but you probably know that.
adamorjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 08:33 AM   #16
gbil

Quote:

I am attaching a bug log report (compressed because it exceeded the max file size) - I hope we can get to the roots of this issue!
What is this in the kernel messages?

DoRxHighPower(): RF_ZEBRA, Upper Threshold: 99 LOWER
Threshold: 70
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 06:05 AM   #17
azenz

Well, I unchecked sync to vblank (the compiz setting was already correct), logged out, restarted the xserver, logged back in and played a HD video under VLC. Unfortunately no change (although for some reason the problem is less obvious with vlc than with kaffeine).

I have to admit though that I am not sure how to start nivida-settings at startup, I thought that changing the settings would change the xorg.conf file and so be a permanent change.

I unfortunately have no idea how to interpret the kernel messages in the bug log report, that's completely beyond me...
Old 12-09-08, 08:08 AM   #18
gbil

Quote:
Well, I unchecked sync to vblank (the compiz setting was already correct), logged out, restarted the xserver, logged back in and played a HD video under VLC. Unfortunately no change (although for some reason the problem is less obvious with vlc than with kaffeine).

I have to admit though that I am not sure how to start nivida-settings at startup, I thought that changing the settings would change the xorg.conf file and so be a permanent change.

I unfortunately have no idea how to interpret the kernel messages in the bug log report, that's completely beyond me...
Put in the startup file of your xserver or your desktop manager the command:

nvidia-settings -l

Regarding the kernel message I did a search and found some kernel bug reports about it. Can you check if this message is repeated during the video playback?
Old 12-09-08, 08:38 AM   #19
azenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbil View Post
Regarding the kernel message I did a search and found some kernel bug reports about it. Can you check if this message is repeated during the video playback?
I generated the bug file a couple of times and ran grep DoRxHighPower on it to see if new instances show up each time. They do, all the time. In fact, about 20 lines containing that text within the space of about 30 secs. So I conclude from that that the message is repeated continuously (and I wasn't doing any video playback).

Regarding putting nvidia-settings -l in the desktop manager, does that mean that this command can be run after the x-server was started?
Old 12-09-08, 09:49 AM   #20
Big P

Quote:
Regarding putting nvidia-settings -l in the desktop manager, does that mean that this command can be run after the x-server was started?
When you make changes through nvidia-settings (such as opengl settings, sync to vblank etc.) they changes are saved in your ~/.nvidia-settings-rc file. In order to apply these settings after starting X, you need to run nvidia-settings with the -l switch so it loads and applies those settings.
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-08, 04:44 PM   #21
azenz

Thanks, I will add that command to my start-up script.

Gbil, I am not sure if my reply was satisfactory, I am not sure how else to check if these messages occur but let me know if you need more info on that. Thanks!
Old 12-10-08, 01:36 AM   #22
gbil

Quote:
Thanks, I will add that command to my start-up script.

Gbil, I am not sure if my reply was satisfactory, I am not sure how else to check if these messages occur but let me know if you need more info on that. Thanks!
To be honest I don't have any other idea. My only concern is that kernel message which might affect system performance in general.
Old 01-17-09, 12:13 PM   #23
azenz

I found the solution to my performance problem: it is compiz. When turning compiz off, then the problem disappears. The same issue applies to KDE translucency. Any of these effect features causes the problem. I find that very disappointing though since they are really nice, and without them the desktop is very plain. Maybe anyone has a way of dealing with this so that compiz or translucency use doesn't interfere with video playback?