Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-15-08, 02:12 PM   #1
sdodier

Default Updating Kernel and NVIDIA Kernel Module

Hello,

I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help you could give me.

I have been tasked with a huge problem and hope you can help. I have a combination of ~ 300 RHEL clients that need to have their kernels updated to include all of the latest kernel patches. I have seen first hand how even just one Linux kernel patch requires the NVIDIA kernel module to be re-compiled. I did some searching before posting this and found an article in the FAQs (Answer ID 129) that states the kernel interface layer of the NVIDIA kernel module needs to be compiled specifically for the version of the kernel being run. There was also a command line solution for recompiling the NVIDIA kernel module after the new kernel was installed, but before rebooting to that new kernel. That is all very helpful, but I wanted to find out if anyone has done this on a large scale, and if there were any scripts available that might streamline things. For example, the command to run is:
"sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run --kernel-name='NewKernelVersion'

What if you are dealing with several different types of NVIDIA cards that require older versions of drivers? I do have all of the drivers available in a central repository, but how can I automate the correct driver launch for each client? Is there a way to query which version is currently installed and pass that variable to the install line for the re-compile? Any scripts available?

Thanks in advance.
sdodier is offline   Reply With Quote