Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-02-08, 02:26 AM   #25
Wolfhound
Moving to new home

Send a message via MSN to Wolfhound Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfhound
Default Re: Vista or XP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
You make me want to reinstall XP, see how lean i can get it.
I have an unattendant DVD with all the updates (nov 08) and some programs that install automaticly at first boot up, takes me 20 minutes to have a fully functional XP , all made with nlite, had one equal for XP x64, of course all are legal software.
Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3,4 | 4Gigs (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC-8500 | Gigabyte P35-DS3R | Western Digital 500G Caviar SE16 SATA2 NCQ | Seagate160 Gig 7200.9 SATA NCQ | Maxtor 300Gig SATA NCQ | Asus Geforce 260GTX | Samsung Syncmaster 930BF 19'' | BeQuiet Straight Power 700W | Cooler Master CM690 |Windows Vista x64 SP2 |Windows XP SP3 [Deceased PSU, no money for new one, stucked with laptop and XBOX 360]

Macbook Pro 13': 4gigs | Core2 Duo 2,53Mhz | 250Gigs HDD |geforce 9400M| aluminium unibody | Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard |gentoo Linux 2.631 kernel

Wolfhoundīs Brute: http://wolfhound77.mybrute.com
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 03:21 AM   #26
ASUSEN7900GTX

does anyone know if kids games work under vista evne if it isnīt listed in the os specs or are dx supprot backwards bigger in XP?

that is why i am on XP if my kid canīt play then vista stays off
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 06:13 AM   #27
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhound View Post
I agree with you, at work I need XP due that Vista is still on validation on IT dep. and Cisco VPN client only works on 32 bit OS, at home I still have XP 32 bits on a partition to work remotely but primaly I use Vista x64.
is that Vista fault? vista biggest problem are lazy third party companies that don't feel like releasing proper update to some of their programs.

Windows 7 in that case will not be the savior, since it uses the same driver model.
Old 12-02-08, 06:55 AM   #28
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
64 bit ultimate here. Only several hiccups with HL2, other then that, everything is fine.
lol yea but i have problems with HL2 in XP as well
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 07:04 AM   #29
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
64 bit ultimate here. Only several hiccups with HL2, other then that, everything is fine.
force HL2 to run in 32bit mode and it will be fine. 64bit exe for HL2 has never been updated and is quite buggy
Old 12-02-08, 10:26 AM   #30
Retrolock
Ū

Just upgraded to Vista 64 in preparation for my Crucial Ballistix ddr2- 800 2x2gb which is dirt cheap in newegg. Hope it arrives before christmastime because I only ordered it through a friend who has a US account. Damn newegg neglecting poor asian techies!
Old 12-02-08, 12:31 PM   #31
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post
I fully understand what you're saying.... I think when it's all said and done I'll keep a dual-boot partition of about 10gb for XP so i can load it up if i need to for any reason....

I do like that i got XP down to 16 processes, using 64mb of memory and running fine a 1.8ghz Celeron with only 128mb of memory and a 5200 pci-card

I dare anyone to try that with vista...
Well, obviously it wouldn't be able to run that light... but I'm betting I could get it to run just fine on a similar setup.

Matter of fact, it runs beautifully on my XP 2800 which, at the last time I used it, was running a GF2 MX220. Granted, the rig *did* have 3GB of DDR400 RAM, and it was Vista Basic that was installed.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 01:42 PM   #32
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Well, obviously it wouldn't be able to run that light... but I'm betting I could get it to run just fine on a similar setup.

Matter of fact, it runs beautifully on my XP 2800 which, at the last time I used it, was running a GF2 MX220. Granted, the rig *did* have 3GB of DDR400 RAM, and it was Vista Basic that was installed.
yeh.... my point was being that vista above all else uses far more memory than xp.... cpu wise it shouldn't be more intensive... and only on your gpu if you're running aero.... which the basic version doesn't have....

I have Vista meda-center or some stupid variant of vista with aero on my laptop.... so i do have some experience with it, I just don't know if it'll be a valid option to play games on..... it's hard to tell with my laptop since it's so ****ty to begin with.

Turion mobile x2 - 1.8ghz
2gb something or other
6150 integrated nvidia...

as you can see, any game will bring it to it's knees.... so I haven't had a chance to try DX10 for obvious reasons.

I really do think i'll try it on my desktop when i get some time.

And yes, from what i've seen you can slim down XP far better than you can with Vista.... that isn't to say vista won't run on a bad computer.... but the fact that I got it to the point where i could play CS:S on this very very limited hardware setup was pretty amazing to me (at the time).... that horrible pc i mentioned earlier though got retired.... My P4 3ghz, 6800 GT and 1gb of memory now reside in it's place as the backup pc.... but it's currently at home and my sister's rig

anyway, point is, xp has amazing potential to be slimmed down and trimmed up to run good on almost anything.... i'll see if i can do the same with vista, definetly going to give it a go since it's free, and we'll see how it works
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-08, 04:17 PM   #33
einstein_314
w00t!!

Lol. I love Vista vs XP threads
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 01:36 PM   #34
kingofdcp

i think u should use vista 32 bit because some software not support 64 bit. Infact, i like xp
Old 12-17-08, 10:26 AM   #35
TheOneAndOnly

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post
yeh.... my point was being that vista above all else uses far more memory than xp.... cpu wise it shouldn't be more intensive... and only on your gpu if you're running aero.... which the basic version doesn't have....

I have Vista meda-center or some stupid variant of vista with aero on my laptop.... so i do have some experience with it, I just don't know if it'll be a valid option to play games on..... it's hard to tell with my laptop since it's so ****ty to begin with.

Turion mobile x2 - 1.8ghz
2gb something or other
6150 integrated nvidia...

as you can see, any game will bring it to it's knees.... so I haven't had a chance to try DX10 for obvious reasons.

I really do think i'll try it on my desktop when i get some time.

And yes, from what i've seen you can slim down XP far better than you can with Vista.... that isn't to say vista won't run on a bad computer.... but the fact that I got it to the point where i could play CS:S on this very very limited hardware setup was pretty amazing to me (at the time).... that horrible pc i mentioned earlier though got retired.... My P4 3ghz, 6800 GT and 1gb of memory now reside in it's place as the backup pc.... but it's currently at home and my sister's rig

anyway, point is, xp has amazing potential to be slimmed down and trimmed up to run good on almost anything.... i'll see if i can do the same with vista, definetly going to give it a go since it's free, and we'll see how it works
The thing is, while XP is lighter, it's memory management is much more inefficient that vistas, and does not have near the fine-tuning capabilities that vista has. Add on to that, aero makes the desktop much more smoother (window-dragging, etc, if you have a card that can handle it). Vista is also inarguably much more secure than XP could ever hope to be. XP starts out fast, and typically gets bogged down over time, while vista is the exact opposite. Give it two weeks, and I can almost guarantee that vista will be as fast or faster after it tunes itself.

As far as games are concerned, it is about dead even now as far as the driver situation is concerned. I am running games that were made in 96 on vista. I've seen 3 older games that don't run on Vista x64 due to having 16-bit installers (but they do work flawlessly on 32-bit). This is out of roughly 100 games I currently have installed. Vista runs games just fine.

The argument that it was slower and more buggy may have been true last year pre-SP1, but that is no longer the case. XP also cannot take advantage of your hardware setup as well as vista can either. XP is also a dinosaur at this time. More software and hardware are being written to take advantage of vista over XP. If you had week hardware, I would say skip vista. You, however, do not.

Only Linux geeks and Mac vs PC commercial fanboi's would say vista is crap. But it's up to you I guess

As far as Win 7 goes, thats an iffy situation. If you want to wait, I see no reason not too. But it is an evolutionary upgrade from vista. It is still vista underneath, with some tweaks and apps removed.
TheOneAndOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 11:11 AM   #36
Wolfhound
Moving to new home

Send a message via MSN to Wolfhound Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
is that Vista fault? vista biggest problem are lazy third party companies that don't feel like releasing proper update to some of their programs.

Windows 7 in that case will not be the savior, since it uses the same driver model.
I donīt say it was Vista problem, I only say the problems my company has with Vista, that doesnīt mean is a bad OS is only that for IT department is too early to upgrade all systems with Vista due that they have to upgrade computers too, we still have systems with 512 Mgs Ram and some printers with driver problems, that is what you have pointed, there are some lazy third parties that still donīt have drivers for a photo printer buyed last christmas with the promise of "future Vista x64 drivers" (cough,cough...sony..cough,cough) and Cisco with their VPN client that doesnīt work on x64 systems (lazy people), thatīs why I still have XP on my home computer and at works lappy, by any means Iīm saying Vista is a bad OS, the problem are third party developers that donīt want or care about their products working on Vista and less on x64 OSes. And donīt say to me that isnīt frustating when you try to get some hardware of software working in your new OS and it doesnīt work as intended or give some BSOD.

With Windows 7 the problem will be the same unless Microsoft forces third parties to have drivers for all devices (past and present).
Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3,4 | 4Gigs (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC-8500 | Gigabyte P35-DS3R | Western Digital 500G Caviar SE16 SATA2 NCQ | Seagate160 Gig 7200.9 SATA NCQ | Maxtor 300Gig SATA NCQ | Asus Geforce 260GTX | Samsung Syncmaster 930BF 19'' | BeQuiet Straight Power 700W | Cooler Master CM690 |Windows Vista x64 SP2 |Windows XP SP3 [Deceased PSU, no money for new one, stucked with laptop and XBOX 360]

Macbook Pro 13': 4gigs | Core2 Duo 2,53Mhz | 250Gigs HDD |geforce 9400M| aluminium unibody | Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard |gentoo Linux 2.631 kernel

Wolfhoundīs Brute: http://wolfhound77.mybrute.com
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote