Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-22-08, 02:56 AM   #61
markkendall

Default Re: 169.12 'Blank' screen after deleting/recreating opengl window and context

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
I've made a little compilation on what works best for me:
Cool Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Quote:
LinearBlend (HW): 27% CPU, 82.2% idle, weird pixels are on during scrolling on text, not too smooth
OneField (HW): 24%, 86.9% idle, rather smooth but it's obvious lines are missing
Kernel (HW): 27%, 83% idle, no obvious interlacing artefacts, but text scrolling not perfectly smooth
Bob(X2, HW): 42% CPU, 76% idle, smother than kernel but obivious interlacing artefacts (odd line more displaced than even on scrolling text)
LinearBlend(2X,HW): 56% CPU, 72.2% idle, very smooth scrolling text, but weird pixels in text
One Field(2x, HW): 50%, 74.5% idle, smooth scroll, but like OneField(HW), lines are missing, also like linearblend, some pixels in scrolled text
Kernel(2x, HW): 69% , 63% idle, smooth text, no obvious interlace artefacts ; slight flickering
Those 'weird pixels' are an artefact of some fairly simplistic motion detection. It's also very obvious when panning.

For the Bob(2xHW) - is your screen refresh rate matched to your video source? (e.g. 50Hz for PAL SD/1080i50). If not, Bob will always look pretty bad.
Quote:
Interlaced (2X,HW), 38%, 81.2% idle, smooth text, interlacing artefacts
Interlaced is actually designed to be used when displaying interlaced material on an interlaced display - hence the interlacing artefacts.
Quote:
Yadif(2x, HW): 119%, 43.8% idle, lost frames seems to be a video at 3 frames/s at best. unwatchable
This is extremely demanding on your GPU and I'm not surprised the 9500GT can't keep up.

Quote:
For all the opengl deinterlacer, when opening the video I get errors like:
2008-10-20 21:46:44.999 Failed to approve 'opengldoubleratekerneldeint' deinterlacer
2008-10-20 21:46:44.999 Couldn't load deinterlace filter
This is 'normal'. They are usually approved slightly later.
Quote:
So at that stage, I can't say I notice much improvement using OpenGL over XVideo. If I use OpenGL then the CPU usage of X.org is extremely small (always around 1-2%) but then mythfrontend uses much more, and the IDLE figure are the same anyway.
It's always been slightly disappointing (to me) that OpenGL uses more CPU than XVideo playback - I've never really understood why.

In addition - have you tried the bicubic upscaling (for SD material - add openglbicubic to the filters section in the playback profile).

Quote:
Edit2: Opengl/Greedy High motion (2x) doesn't seem to work properly with a 1280 x 720 MPEG2 source, lots of dropped frame.
Is that an interlaced source?
markkendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 05:29 AM   #62
jyavenard
MythTV developer

Default Re: 169.12 'Blank' screen after deleting/recreating opengl window and context

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkendall View Post
Those 'weird pixels' are an artefact of some fairly simplistic motion detection. It's also very obvious when panning.
they do look like a bug to me

Quote:
For the Bob(2xHW) - is your screen refresh rate matched to your video source? (e.g. 50Hz for PAL SD/1080i50). If not, Bob will always look pretty bad.
Yes, the TV is set to 50Hz and the video was 1080i

Quote:
This is extremely demanding on your GPU and I'm not surprised the 9500GT can't keep up.
Really? that's interesting... What video card would work then?
I have a 8600GT in another machine and it shows the same behaviour.

[quote]In addition - have you tried the bicubic upscaling (for SD material - add openglbicubic to the filters section in the playback profile).
</QUOTE]

No I haven't... How do I enable it?

Quote:
Is that an interlaced source?
Nope, it as 720p ...
it worked fine for all other resolutions: 576i and 1080i ...

I've noticed that even with deinterlacing on, there's still a slight flickering with white lines, what typically would be seen on an old CRT TV.

It seems unfortunate that I haven't been able to get anywhere close to the quality of the built-in HD tuner in the Sony and its deinterlacer
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 07:02 AM   #63
jyavenard
MythTV developer

What deinterlacer would you recommend for either HD or SD?

I'd like to get something that not only deinterlace properly but also does motion compensation ; so pictures appears smooth , no interlacing artefacts and no scintillation (like white lines over black)

I'm yet to get perfectly TV watching with mythtv and an nvidia card on Linux unfortunately.
Old 10-25-08, 06:38 AM   #64
markkendall

Quote:
Nope, it as 720p ...
it worked fine for all other resolutions: 576i and 1080i ...
Do you have a short clip I could test?(that shows the problem)
Quote:
I've noticed that even with deinterlacing on, there's still a slight flickering with white lines, what typically would be seen on an old CRT TV.
My guess is the main problem here is the latest drivers. The 169.xxx series of drivers had no issues with vertical sync/tearing and playback was very good. Somewhere in the 17x.xxx series, vsync went wrong again. As a result I get a small amount of annoying flickering and some tearing even when everything is set up 'properly' (and works fine with earlier drivers). This is even consistent across OSs - I see the same problem with recent drivers on XP and Vista (I have a triple boot system)
Old 10-25-08, 06:46 AM   #65
markkendall

Quote:
What deinterlacer would you recommend for either HD or SD?
My main system uses an 8800GT. Yadif (2xHW) gives good results for SD but cannot cope with HD (1080i). For HD I generally use Kernel (2xHW) - though admittedly I don't have a full HD display to assess the full quality.

Quote:
I'd like to get something that not only deinterlace properly but also does motion compensation ; so pictures appears smooth , no interlacing artefacts and no scintillation (like white lines over black)
I'm not aware of any open source deinterlacer that implements effective motion compensation (in real time) but to be honest, when Yadif (either CPU or GPU based) or Greedy are working and everything is set up properly, I can't tell the difference between their output and any STB I've ever used.
Old 10-28-08, 12:06 PM   #66
mocharhw

Thanks for these recent posts. I started playing around with my settings and found OpenGL rendering and Greedy deinterlacer provide the most "STB looking" output for NTSC video. This is with the 173.xx driver and the OpenGL patches from this thread of course...
mocharhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 06:50 AM   #67
jyavenard
MythTV developer

Has anyone tried with the OpenGL 3.0 beta drivers? 177.61.02
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121763

Doe OpenGL 1.3 finally been fixed so you don't get this blank screen bug with mythtv?

Is vsync finally working properly so I don't get the scintillating effect I mentioned earlier ?

Cheers
Old 11-22-08, 09:09 AM   #68
jyavenard
MythTV developer

Hi

I've compiled ubuntu packages for the mythtv package that includes those OpenGL patches, for nVidia card obviously.

http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu/mythtv/

hope this will help

Old 12-18-08, 03:53 AM   #69
managementboy

As an update: "--enable-glx-procaddrarb" can be used again on MythBuntu as of driver version 180.16. On a side note and completely subjective, this driver makes OpenGL with Mark's patches look and behave a lot nicer. Much less tearing.
managementboy is offline   Reply With Quote