Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-17-08, 08:08 PM   #1
staubsaugen

Default DVI to HDMI problem

I recently picked up a XFX GeForce 9500GT graphics card and I'm running Kubuntu 8.10 and Windows XP. I also have a 42in Samsung LCD that I use as a display. The TV has both HDMI and VGA inputs, but no actual DVI. I bought a DVI to HDMI cable that I'm trying to use to go to my TV. When using this cable my resolution in linux is all screwed up and I can only see part of the screen. When I use the DVI to VGA converter and plug in the TV through a VGA cable then everything works fine. The DVI to HDMI cable works fine in Windows though. Any ideas?
staubsaugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-08, 04:57 AM   #2
jpterj

Default Re: DVI to HDMI problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by staubsaugen View Post
I recently picked up a XFX GeForce 9500GT graphics card and I'm running Kubuntu 8.10 and Windows XP. I also have a 42in Samsung LCD that I use as a display. The TV has both HDMI and VGA inputs, but no actual DVI. I bought a DVI to HDMI cable that I'm trying to use to go to my TV. When using this cable my resolution in linux is all screwed up and I can only see part of the screen. When I use the DVI to VGA converter and plug in the TV through a VGA cable then everything works fine. The DVI to HDMI cable works fine in Windows though. Any ideas?
Many TVs give incorrect EDID information via HDMI/DVI but often correct information via VGA.
Check your xorg log to see which modes X tries and which are not validated. You might need to override some of the EDID information in xorg.conf.

Which part of the screen do you see? If it is cut off at top, bottom, left and right it could be overscan on your TV. Check under picture format in the TVs menu to see if you have a choice called exact scan, pixel by pixel or similar.
jpterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-08, 11:30 AM   #3
staubsaugen

Default Re: DVI to HDMI problem

I've been looking through my TV manual and I don't recall seeing an option like that, but I will double check. It seems like I'm seeing the top left part of the screen. I'm not sure what you mean by the EDID information, but I can take a look in my x logs to see what I find in there. I'm currently at work and don't have access to the system, but I should be able to check within a couple of hours.
staubsaugen is offline   Reply With Quote