Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-27-08, 09:37 AM   #1
LostinSpacetime

Default Window decoration artefacts with Compiz

Hello, I believe this issue has been mentioned before in other threads but has often been confused with other bugs. Sadly, I don't know any technical details, but I will try to describe it.

This bug first appeared with the 169.07 driver and it's visible only with AIGLX and certain (but common) application windows like Openoffice and Virtualbox. For me it seems like the problems appear when something on the decorator changes. In case the WD is Emerald with pulsing buttons, then one only has to hold the cursor over the buttons and weird things start to happen. For the GTK WD, the bug is not as obvious. However, when one changes the focus between windows, sometimes the WD disappears.

As the bug is pretty easy to reproduce and I it's not restricted to my system (same behavior on 3 different machines with nVidia GK) I didn't post a bugreport, but in case one is necessary I will.

It would be really nice if somebody from nVidia would confirm this bug and give some information. Thank you for your work.
LostinSpacetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 12:06 PM   #2
jdeslip

Default Re: Window decoration artefacts with Compiz

Yes, I too have this exact bug. Which was first reported here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104822

Have you tried 177.70 that was released today?
jdeslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 12:54 PM   #3
Dragoran

Quote:
Have you tried 177.70 that was released today?
does not fix it...
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 08:17 PM   #4
jdeslip

Darn.
jdeslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 06:16 AM   #5
LostinSpacetime

I believe this bug hits at least everybody using Gnome+Compiz+AIGLX+nVidia GK. The reason why so few complain, is probably because XGL is still widely used. But very soon this will change, since XGL is not developed anymore. http://dev.compiz-fusion.org/~cybero...07/26/rip-xgl/ Ubuntu 8.10 is probably the last Ubuntu version with XGL support and after that AIGLX will have to do the acceleration for the xserver.

As the PROs and CONs for AIGLX and XGL have been discussed, nVidia was pro AIGLX. Even if today the nVidias driver is probably still the best with AIGLX, the driver development seem not to be able to keep up with the recent changes related to the Linux Desktop. They try hard to introduce new features to the driver and support for new GKs, but the bugs remain unsolved for a long time.

I believe they allready reacted and accelerated the development, but I don't know if it's enough to provide decent and up to date drivers. Time will tell.

Howerver, until then I ask (not for the first, but hopefully last time) one of the moderators to PLEASE provide some information on this issue.
LostinSpacetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 06:24 AM   #6
goblin85

I have the same problem: artifacts with compiz and gnome ( drivers 177.70 , nvidia 8600m gt ).
goblin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 08:06 AM   #7
dj_def

I too. Please nvidia, tell us something!
dj_def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-08, 07:09 PM   #8
miltiad

The lastest beta driver (180.11) fix this bug.
miltiad is offline   Reply With Quote