Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-21-08, 03:37 AM   #1
BOINCer

Default GTX 260/177.13 powermizer issues with CUDA applications!

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for some help, I hope someone of you might be able to help me...

I have three Nvidia cards running on an distributed computing project called gpugrid/ps3grid which uses CUDA applications on nvidia graphics cards. Two of the cards (8800GT with 169.12 driver, and 9800GTX with 173.14.09 ) are working like a charm, but I have serious problems with my new GTX 260 and the 177.13 drivers for Linux 64 bit...

If i run gpugrid, the first workunit will maybe run without problems, but when it is finished and the next one is started, powermizer decides to change the core speed to the lowest speed!

Performance mode actually shows - maximum performance, but
performance level drops back to 0 (300 Mhz core clock speed / 100 Mhz memory speed), but it should stay at 2 (576 Mhz core clock speed), because I would like to use the full power of the card for the CUDA computations, and the changing clock speeds also cause the computations to fail!

My big question now is - is there any way to disable the powermizer, or is there a way to permanently set it to full speed? Unfortunately I couldn't find any setting related to it in the NVIDIA X Server Settings...

This is on a computer with P5Q mainboard, Q9300 CPU, 2 GB DDR2 1066, GTX 260 and Ubuntu 8.04...

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Stefan
BOINCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 09:27 PM   #2
VirtualEntity

Default Re: GTX 260/177.13 powermizer issues with CUDA applications!

Here's my theory for what (little) it is worth:
Ubuntu 8.04 has a kernel that is optimized for use on desktops and laptops. Amongst other things, it has support for reducing the power and 'running green'.

Is it possible that using a "pre-emptive" or "real-time" kernel might help here? Maybe a signal from the kernel is being used to instruct the system to slow down graphics card processing. Long story short, what happens if you change to a 'server-class' kernel that, perhaps, even has no support for ACPI?

I haven't yet acquired my cluster, yet, but when I do in a few weeks, I will be using either SLES 11 or Rocks 5.0, which is, I believe, based on CentOS 5.1. Both are server-class distros and may avoid all of the unnneeded 'optimizations' and desktop-biased performance issues that Ubuntu 8.04 LTS provide.

I don't mean to 'dis' Ubuntu--it's a sweet distro--I run it on all my laptops and a number of my desktops, but for 'big iron servers', I'll be running either Suse Enterprise Linux 11 or CentOS. Lot less problems, much more stable. (And I don't have to update it every six minutes!)

A./
VirtualEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-08, 12:44 AM   #3
Dragoran

Default Re: GTX 260/177.13 powermizer issues with CUDA applications!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualEntity View Post
Here's my theory for what (little) it is worth:
Ubuntu 8.04 has a kernel that is optimized for use on desktops and laptops. Amongst other things, it has support for reducing the power and 'running green'.

Is it possible that using a "pre-emptive" or "real-time" kernel might help here? Maybe a signal from the kernel is being used to instruct the system to slow down graphics card processing. Long story short, what happens if you change to a 'server-class' kernel that, perhaps, even has no support for ACPI?
That's completely unrelated. You are talking about CPU scheduling parameters here.

What you could do is try to disable powermizer see: http://tutanhamon.com.ua/technovodst...A-UNIX-driver/
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote