Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-22-08, 10:18 AM   #1
artem

Unhappy [BUG REPORT] Konsole from KDE4 is unusable with bitmap or nonAA TrueType fonts

GPU: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce 8800 GT (rev a2)
GPU drivers: 177.82/180.xx
Kernel: 2.6.27.8
KDE: 4.2.0 beta 2/4.1.3
Distro: Fedora 9

Application: Konsole with Terminus font with fonts AA (antialiasing) turned off (anyway Terminus is a bitmap font so fonts AA cannot be turned on). Also you can use any TrueType font with disabled AA, the effect will be the same.

Run Midnight Commander in Konsole and press Ctrl+O many times - every single screen refresh will take at least two seconds(!) to complete with 100% CPU usage.

In Konsole from KDE 3.5.x Ctrl+O refreshes the screen up to 100 times a second with minor CPU usage.

I've tried all suggested performance tricks like:
nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1

xorg.conf ->
Option "PixmapCacheSize" "1000000"
Option "AllowSHMPixmaps" "0"
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2 (34.4 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by artem; 12-23-08 at 11:10 AM. Reason: corrected the post
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 11:05 AM   #2
artem

Default Re: [BUG REPORT] Konsole from KDE4 is unusable with bitmap or with nonAA TrueType fon

It's a bug with NVIDIA drivers.

I have tried VESA driver on the same PC and also tried native X.org driver with different GPU - everything works as expected - no lag, nonAA fonts rendering speed is just fine.

I want to hope that NVIDIA will someday create a public/closed bugzilla for reported issues.

Last edited by artem; 12-23-08 at 11:09 AM. Reason: bugzilla is a must!
Old 12-24-08, 12:56 AM   #3
dionua

Default Re: [BUG REPORT] Konsole from KDE4 is unusable with bitmap or with nonAA TrueType fon

Try nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=0 and restart konsole after this. Yes, I know, IPP=0 is a very bad thing, however konsole performance became better.
dionua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 01:56 PM   #4
artem

Wow, that really made a difference!

Konsole became maybe up to a hundred times faster (however not as fast as KDE3.5's Konsole) ... but how can I keep on using KDE4 and Konsole when the former requires a different InitialPixmapPlacement setup? :-(

Zander, Aaron - will you investigate this issue? This is a not a minor disturbance - I cannot upgrade to a newer KDE if Konsole doesn't work for me.
Old 12-28-08, 01:26 PM   #5
artem

bumping
Old 01-03-09, 05:35 AM   #6
marchetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
bumping
Same problem here, has anyone solved in a different way, not InitialPixmapPlacement=0 ??
marchetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 06:14 AM   #7
nvpro

Terminus in gnome-terminal is also slow for me, but fortunately not so slow it's unusuable. A fix would be great. It seems like all non-aa font rendering became slow with one of the newer releases.

Edit: seems to be fixed with the newer 180.x releases. I remember the slowdown was there with 180.06, and because of that I switched to the Vera Monospace font. Now with 180.18 I can't reproduce the slowdown anymore. Nice!
nvpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 08:52 AM   #8
marchetto

InitialPixmapPlacement=0 does not solve the problem.

I'm still having a wrong konsole view.
You could experience the problem while selecting old command with the pag key.
Very very annoying

Old 01-07-09, 12:31 PM   #9
artem

The latest 180.18 driver release improved the performance a bit but without InitialPixmapPlacement=0 hack Konsole is still unusable for me.
Old 01-07-09, 12:45 PM   #10
Plagman
NVIDIA Corporation

I can see how bitmap fonts are slower; I'll take a look to see if we could better accelerate whatever konsole is doing.
Plagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 06:04 AM   #11
artem

Thank you!
Old 01-08-09, 07:01 AM   #12
marchetto

thanks, latest kde update in suse repository seemed to lower the problem, but there still an annoying lack...