Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-29-08, 01:57 PM   #1
marna4

Default GeForce 8300, Asus M3N78-EM and Fedora

I have an ASUS motherboard with AMD X2 cpu and Geforce 6130 on which I was running Fedora 9 x86_64.
The board died yesterday, so I need to replace it asap since that is my work computer. I need a microatx board with integrated video and firewire connector, so the Asus M3N78-EM looks like a good candidate.

The question is, will it work without getting mad with Fedora 9 and 10? I need at least network and 2D video
to work out of the box, or almost out of the box. Is this possible, as far as you know, with this chipset/motherboard?

Ideally, I would like to hook up my hard drive (which has F9 x86_64 on it) to the new motherboard, boot and start working with the smallest possible delay, since I need to finish a work project on that computer asap.

After finishing that project, I could take more time to upgrade to F10 and/or tweak other things, like audio, accelerated video, whatever. Basically, what I'd need to know about this board/chipset, is:

1) if I can have network and stable 2D video guaranteed from the beginning without compiling anything, just tweaking config files or installing rpms

2) if there is anything on it which will not work under Linux period, or which will force me to recompile the kernel, X or other stuff.

THanks in advance for any feedback,
M.
marna4 is offline   Reply With Quote