Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-28-08, 08:32 PM   #1
Redeemed

Default Help with Vizio Plasma...

My sister has a 50" Vizio Plasma HDTV and she is having a strange problem.

She can get all of the TV channels just fine (she's using bunny ears), but when she wants to playback a movie (VHS or DVD) it only shows up via PIP. I've tried disabling PNP entirely, I've tried using PIP and switching between shows... no matter what movies just wont playback full screen. What happens is if I try to select the input the VCR/DVD player is connected to, the TV reads "No signal". Yet if I switch to PIP and have the PIP input set to the VCR/DVD player, the video plays back fine. It's like, for some strange reason, her A/V inputs are stuck in PIP mode, unable to go full screen. As soon as you try to go full screen, the TV loses the signal. It's wierd.

The TV is about a year and a half old, but I'd imagine that isn't long enough for the TV to start breaking down.

You guys wouldn't have any ideas as to what the solution could be? Is there any way to force the image full screen? Are there known cases of Plasmas acting up like this?

TIA.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 09:15 PM   #2
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Help with Vizio Plasma...

how did you connect the DVD player? I never heard of that before, I know someone with a Vizio TV.
Old 12-28-08, 09:59 PM   #3
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
how did you connect the DVD player? I never heard of that before, I know someone with a Vizio TV.
Okay, she has a VCR/DVD player combo unit. On the back it has a single Video + Audio out (RCA) for both the DVD and VCR. I'm using a standard Red + White + Yellow RCA cable going from that out, to the AV in on her TV. I'm selecting the appropriate input on the TV, but it always shows "No Signal". If I switch to "TV" to flip through channels, and then enable PIP and select the AV as the PIP input, the DVD or VHS movie will show up in the small PIP. But if I try to make the VHS or DVD go full screen, it then goes back to saying "no signal". Wierdest thing ever. She even went out and bought a new VCR/DVD player combo to see if that would solve it... nope- does the same thing. We tried 3 different component cables (one was brand new), still no go.

Is it possible her TV is just borked?
Old 12-29-08, 01:50 AM   #4
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Gib-McFragger=- View Post
Maybe your TV doesn't like composite connections (RCA). Have you tried component (YPbPr/YPbCr)?
How? I don't think the DVD/VCR player has "composite" out. Only "video out" (single RCA) and L R Audio Out (single RCA per channel).
Old 12-29-08, 02:28 AM   #5
ViN86

have you tried the Swap button on the PIP to make the PIP full screen?

(just wondering if that will cause the image to be full screen. it sounds really weird tbh.)

try using a different DVD player.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 03:25 AM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
have you tried the Swap button on the PIP to make the PIP full screen?

(just wondering if that will cause the image to be full screen. it sounds really weird tbh.)

try using a different DVD player.
Tried "swap" and a brand new DVD player. Neither worked.
Old 12-29-08, 07:27 AM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

I still don't understand how this could be defective, TV not allowing to watch DVDs in fullscreen only PiP.

Is there an option in the menu to reset the TV to factory default settings?
Old 12-29-08, 11:38 AM   #8
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
I still don't understand how this could be defective, TV not allowing to watch DVDs in fullscreen only PiP.

Is there an option in the menu to reset the TV to factory default settings?
There is, and I already tried that. I'm really hoping it's just some obscure setting or what not that I'm over looking, cause she's still making payments on the TV (got it from a local furniture store). And it'd suck if she went and recycled the unit cause she'd still have to pay it off over the next 2 years!

It would, however, be a definite lesson to never purchase from that store again. They're crooked with their business practices. It seems like they encourage shafting customers if it's done in such a way that they can get a profit without getting busted for anything. They'll never get a dime of my money.

Old 12-29-08, 01:03 PM   #9
shabby
Forcefed GXP

What's the model/brand of the vcr/dvd player, it should have something other than rca, maybe svideo.
Old 12-29-08, 01:12 PM   #10
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
What's the model/brand of the vcr/dvd player, it should have something other than rca, maybe svideo.
One was a Panasonic (I believe), the other a Magnavox... I think. S-Video is just video, not audio, right? I don't think there's a standalone "Audio Out" that works for both the VCR and DVD player.
Old 12-29-08, 11:16 PM   #11
nrdstrm

Redeemed - I have a Vizio (LCD) and havn't seen this problem so I'm not much help. I would, however, suggest you create an account over at AVSForum (free) and ask there. Those guys seem to know everything...

Good Luck!

Link : http://www.avsforum.com/

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote