Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-29-08, 06:14 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Three Options for Vista-to-Windows 7 Update?

Back in November, I explored the number of editions of Windows 7 that Microsoft was working on. While the company has not officially given a list yet, it was clear that Windows 7 Enterprise Edition and Windows 7 Ultimate Edition were definitely coming. Furthermore, there was an obvious avoidance of naming a Windows 7 Business Edition, though there was a mention of a Windows 7 Small Business Edition. While doing a little more digging, I stumbled on the following upgrade paths for Windows Vista to Windows 7. These are not confirmed, but I am told they are what Microsoft is currently considering:

Windows Vista Home Premium Edition => Windows 7 Home Premium Edition
Windows Vista Business Edition => Windows 7 Professional Edition
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition => Windows 7 Ultimate Edition
Does anyone else find it mildly interesting that Microsoft has gone back and renamed Business to Professional, just like it was with good old XP? These three upgrade paths "confirm" two more editions: Home Premium and Professional. These two are the ones that most customers will likely be buying, whereas the average geek will likely go ahead and grab Ultimate.

It's not yet clear whether Microsoft will have an upgrade path for XP users, but I would not hold my breath. Currently there is still no word about Starter or Home Basic editions for Windows 7. We'll keep you posted when Microsoft finally does reveal the official edition list.

In related news, WinFuture and Neowin have screenshots of the leaked Windows 7 6.1.7000 build. Rumor has it that select users will get Windows 7 Beta 1 on January 5, 2009, and a public beta will follow sometime afterwards.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/micr...a-to-windows-7
Old 12-30-08, 10:19 AM   #2
DRen72
Eastern Pipistrelle

Default Re: Three Options for Vista-to-Windows 7 Update?

"Windows 7 Enterprise Edition"...any details on that one?
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 265GB SSD / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB / Two Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drives
Optical Storage: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
Other: Antec P183 Case / Corsair AX-1200 Power Supply / Logitech G5 (v2.0) / Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Console: XBox 360 Elite
DRen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 10:21 AM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

there probably will be Enterprise version, since consumers never should have that version, i don't think there is any upgrade path.
Old 12-30-08, 10:24 AM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I hope MS goes back to allowing users to insert a full-version of a previous OS for verification and do a completely clean install from an upgrade disc.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 10:36 AM   #5
bacon12

I do too, but imagine that it will be just as cheap to buy OEM instead. I can say this 7 is fast, and memory management is better than vista. 32 bit version idles @ around 600k used, plus it looks cool. I have some ss but I don't think I should post them here.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 10:45 AM   #6
ViN86

nice, hopefully my upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate will be a smooth transition
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 10:50 AM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
I do too, but imagine that it will be just as cheap to buy OEM instead. I can say this 7 is fast, and memory management is better than vista. 32 bit version idles @ around 600k used, plus it looks cool. I have some ss but I don't think I should post them here.
yes it does use less ram, but I noticed that certain programs take longer to start. It could be because it is beta, or simply because of change in memory management.
Old 12-30-08, 10:55 AM   #8
bacon12

I haven't done any intense testing, but firefox opens almost immediately. With vista it takes a sec or two.

Crysis warhead ran fine for two hours thou. I am gonna do some benches later, but I don't have a 32 bit copy of vista to give a fair comparison.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote