Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-30-08, 08:10 AM   #1
dxx

Default How do I Vista to a striped drive?

I have here a Dell Vostro 1710 laptop with two 160GB harddrives in it, and I'd like to reinstall the OS and have the drives running in RAID Striped. Problem is, the Vostro doesn't have a RAID option in the BIOS, so I guess I'll have to use Windows' own disk striping system.

I want to install Vista x64 Ultimate SP1 on the system, but the problem is, at the disk setup part of the installer, while I get the option to create, delete, and extend partitions, there seems to be no way to create a single 320GB striped partition from the two drives. Is there any way to install Vista on a striped partition?

Thanks.
dxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 08:27 AM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: How do I Vista to a striped drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxx View Post
Is there any way to install Vista on a striped partition?
Not if the host controller can't be configured for RAID in the BIOS.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 09:17 AM   #3
ViN86

Quote:
I have here a Dell Vostro 1710 laptop with two 160GB harddrives in it, and I'd like to reinstall the OS and have the drives running in RAID Striped. Problem is, the Vostro doesn't have a RAID option in the BIOS, so I guess I'll have to use Windows' own disk striping system.

I want to install Vista x64 Ultimate SP1 on the system, but the problem is, at the disk setup part of the installer, while I get the option to create, delete, and extend partitions, there seems to be no way to create a single 320GB striped partition from the two drives. Is there any way to install Vista on a striped partition?

Thanks.
i think sat is right. im pretty sure your motherboard needs to support RAID before you can do what youre trying to do.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 11:02 AM   #4
dxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
i think sat is right. im pretty sure your motherboard needs to support RAID before you can do what youre trying to do.
Thing is, if you look in the Disk Management part of Computer Management, there's options for creating striped volumes at a software level, so I guess it is possible to have RAID controlled purely by Windows.

I'll try some more experiments under VM Ware after work and see if I can figure something out.
Old 12-30-08, 11:03 AM   #5
ViN86

Quote:
Thing is, if you look in the Disk Management part of Computer Management, there's options for creating striped volumes at a software level, so I guess it is possible to have RAID controlled purely by Windows.

I'll try some more experiments under VM Ware after work and see if I can figure something out.
hmm, i will consult the google.

EDIT: found this http://www.techimo.com/articles/index.pl?photo=149

i also found two forum threads. one says that Vista should support it, the other says that you cannot install vista to a dynamic disk so it wont support it. so i dont really know tbh
Old 12-30-08, 06:32 PM   #6
dxx

Quote:
hmm, i will consult the google.

EDIT: found this http://www.techimo.com/articles/index.pl?photo=149

i also found two forum threads. one says that Vista should support it, the other says that you cannot install vista to a dynamic disk so it wont support it. so i dont really know tbh
Nice bit of work. I do especially like the benchmarks there, so thanks for that.

I've now tried a sandbox setup under VMware in which I had three harddrives, one 16GB virtual drive for the temp installation of Vista, plus two 8GB drives to be made into a single 16GB striped volume. It didn't work - Vista wouldn't recognise the dynamic striped disks to let me install to them. I've got a few more tricks planned, so I might be able to get somewhere. At the moment though, it's not looking promising.
Old 12-30-08, 06:56 PM   #7
ViN86

idk why they would eliminate it in Vista considering how the software RAID in XP was shown to be very close to the same level as a hardware implemented RAID setup.
Old 12-30-08, 07:09 PM   #8
Bman212121

The only thing I can think of that you might be able to do is put Windows into a 20GB partition onto the first drive. After you install convert both drives to dynamic disks and then create a new partition that stripes on each drive. It would give you about 280GB minus overhead. (140GB partiton on each drive, with about 20GB unused.)

I *think* you can do that, but it's been so long since I've played with windows raid I'm not sure if that works or not.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-08, 07:12 PM   #9
Bman212121

Quote:
idk why they would eliminate it in Vista considering how the software RAID in XP was shown to be very close to the same level as a hardware implemented RAID setup.
According to an article I from MS you can only use Enterprise and Ultimate with dynamic disks.

Quote:

NoteOnly Windows Vista Enterprise and Windows Vista Ultimate editions support dynamic disks.

Dynamic disks can contain a large number of dynamic volumes (approximately 2000) that function like the primary partitions used on basic disks. In some versions of Windows, you can combine separate dynamic hard disks into a single dynamic volume (called spanning), split data among several hard disks (called striping) for increased performance, or duplicate data among several hard disks (called mirroring) for increased reliability.

Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Vista Enterprise editions support spanning and striping dynamic disks, but not mirroring. (Windows Server 2008 supports mirroring.) For more information for advanced users, go to the Windows Vista Springboard Resource Guide website.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...621ce1033.mspx
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 07:29 AM   #10
dxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
The only thing I can think of that you might be able to do is put Windows into a 20GB partition onto the first drive. After you install convert both drives to dynamic disks and then create a new partition that stripes on each drive. It would give you about 280GB minus overhead. (140GB partiton on each drive, with about 20GB unused.)

I *think* you can do that, but it's been so long since I've played with windows raid I'm not sure if that works or not.
Yup, looks like the only way at this point. It's not a massive issue, I suppose. Sure, it does mean losing some disk space, but I could do with having a WinXP installation on this system as well as a Vista installation, so two OS partitions + one large app & data partition should be fine.

So, I guess I'll be spending my new year's day geeking out doing this and watching TV. Should be fun I'll let you all know how it goes.