Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-02-09, 02:39 PM   #13
Linuxhippy

Default Re: RepeatNormal+Transformation+Mask not accalerated on GF8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Happy New Year, Clemens! I should note that there's a limitation that I was in the process of fixing before everyone went on vacation that prevents small (<32x32) pixmaps from being placed in vidmem on G80 and up.
Ah, good to know - seems I got caught by this limitation. I saw something similar on NV4x, but it has been fixed already.

Thanks, Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 05:26 PM   #14
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxhippy View Post
2.) Gradient performance is terrible.
I attached a screenshot of Java's new cross-platform look-and-feel.
Although gradients are cached as much as possible, I get 30% better benchmark results when I replace gradient with a 1x1 solid picture.
And this is a general benchmark, testing a lot of text-stuff - the button-performance test shown is twice as fast without gradients.
It would be really great if you could implement gradients soon, and also for GF6/7.
When WindowsXP appeared it offered GDI+ with support for translucency and gradients.
At that time some benchmark applications for 2D GDI+ appeared. They tested translucent blits and gradients. I run these benchmarks on FX5200, Geforce 6150, Geforce 7900GS, Radeon 9000, Radeon Mobility X1600. The results were about 8-10 fills where other results were in thousands. Gradient draws was always the worst result in given benchmark. This clearly shows that none of Geforce/Radeon hardware has capability for Gradient acceleration (because I do not believe gradients to be so heavy task to reach so poor results with HW accel). That is why you can not expect to have this acceleration in driver. Maybe someday someone will add this acceleration via shaders but extending 2D acceleration is sadly beyond interest from ATI/Nvidia. However implementing XRender acceleration and adding VDPAU on Linux was a big and very nice surprise for me. So maybe someday we will see Gradient acceleration in Nvidia Linux driver and Linux Driver will be better in 2D than Windows one thanks to more advanced 2D acceleration capabilities.

Soon I will buy Geforce G98 or later and MCP85-S (I hope it is not canceled and will appear on scheduled time) and will test how gradients look like in new chip architecture. VDPAU and recent XRender improvements are tempting me very much so probably I'm going to change my opinion for best buy from Geforce7 to G98. But have to see it first.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 06:04 PM   #15
Linuxhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy View Post
This clearly shows that none of Geforce/Radeon hardware has capability for Gradient acceleration (because I do not believe gradients to be so heavy task to reach so poor results with HW accel). That is why you can not expect to have this acceleration in driver.
Sure, but the driver already offsers functionality like gaussian blur - which I guess the driver also does with shaders. Java's D3D/OpenGL backends also do gradients with shaders, and even simple SM2.0 boards like GF-FX or R200 are capable of accalerating gradients and archieving huge speedups.
So as far as I can imagine, its just a few lines of shader code, maybe one version for NV4x and one for G8x.

What makes me sad is that Gradients are so heavily used in a lot of User Interfaces, and commenting Gradients out gave me a ~25% better benchmark score when running my java pipeline. They are so easy to accalerate, way easier than trapezoids, but accaleration is still not there :-/

- Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote