Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-02-09, 08:32 PM   #1
dberg918

Default Question about normal operating card temperatures

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but I just had a pretty catastrophic graphics card failure that has me a bit baffled.

I have an eVGA 8500 GT that I've been running under Linux Mint for almost a year or so. Just yesterday, while playing a game, my system crashed. Things gradually got worse to the point where the monitor was no longer getting any output from the video card, so I opened up the computer to take a look. To my surprise, I saw the fan detached from my graphics card, hanging by the wire connecting it to the card. One of the spring-loaded fan connectors had melted through, and the other was on its way as well.

My question is this: what is the normal core operating temperature of 8 series video cards? I know this should've been an alarm bell going off in my head, but I was constantly checking the card temp, and it was averaging about 90-95C. The reason I wasn't worried is because in the nvidia-settings manager, the cooldown threshold temp was set at 125C, which the card rarely reached. If this kind of thing can happen near this temperature, why would the nvidia-settings manager be hard-coded to wait until the card reaches 125C to "cool down?"

I'm off to try and get a replacement from evga. Thanks for any help that can be offered.
dberg918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 10:02 PM   #2
hyfans

Default Re: Question about normal operating card temperatures

my 8500gt is around 70C (+/- 3),it has no fan, but Passive Heatsink , and i don't play game, no compiz, only normally web browsing stuff.
hyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 10:47 PM   #3
logan

I found a benchmark that includes temperatures for 8500 and 8600's, a passively cooled Gigabyte 8600 topped out at 88C. There should be some specs that say what the maximum operational temperature is, maybe 95 or 100C, but I don't think it's 125C..
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 11:09 PM   #4
logan

Well, I can't find anything on eVGA's site.. I really wish this kind of information would be more visible, it's a question I've had for every video card purchased since my 6600GT.

When researching 8800GT's, I regularly saw reports of 90C under load (with stock cooling), which was the last thing I wanted after previously having a hot system with stability problems. I ended up buying a Gigabyte 8800GT that came with a Zalman cooler and never saw temps higher than 53C. Before that, I put a Zalman cooler on my 6600GT and am pretty sure it lowered the temperature by 10 degrees. It wasn't the smoothest installation ever, but it ended up alright. You should be able to find something for about $30.
Old 01-02-09, 11:38 PM   #5
dberg918

Guess I wasn't really very clear in my first post...

My card is the equivalent of burnt toast now. The fan took part of the GPU with it, it's stuck on the bottom of the fan. That's apparently how hot it got. And just a few months out of warranty...grrr.

I guess my big question is why the nvidia-settings manager didn't have a lower cool down temperature than 125C. It did reach above 125C a few times, and I noticed the performance hit, but if horrible things like this happen to the card at 125C, why not set the cool down temp lower to prevent this sort of thing from happening? Or did I somehow set it this high by accident and not even know it?

And thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.
dberg918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 12:25 AM   #6
logan

Sorry, I didn't get that the card was done for. 125C does seem awfully high. It shows190C for my GTX260. What the heck? Am I supposed to be baking bread with this thing before it sees a problem and slows down? Doesn't seem right to me. We'll just have to wait and see what NVIDIA says. Can this be adjusted if you use Coolbits?

Newegg has some 8800GT's for ~$50, which isn't so bad. $10-15 more and you could get a 8600GT. Maybe something with active cooling.
Old 01-03-09, 05:07 AM   #7
Thunderbird

The threshold temperature is defined in the video bios and the value there is a bit high.

hyfans the temperature of your card is really high. It sounds like you don't have proper cooling in your system. My own fanless 8600gt becomes about 45C with proper cooling (at least one inlet fan at the bottom of the case and one outlet at a high point). Really make sure that the circulation is good. Just that the card is fanless doesn't mean you need no fans!
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 06:50 PM   #8
neosmatrix

I have a passive cooled Gainward 8600GT 512MB, Nvidia-Settings show's 57. The only OpenGL application I use is Mythtv. All compositing effects (compiz-fusion, Kwin4, ...) are disabled.
neosmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote