Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-03-09, 08:19 PM   #1
iamthird

Default Missing Kernel Tree During Installation

I'm completely new to linux, which is probably why this post is so big.
All my experience has been based off of forum posts and online guides. so although I might have done something right, I really don't know what it is I"m doing, and may actually be doing everything wrong.

So bear with me, please.

I am booting Fedora from a flash drive to get the hang of it.
My graphics card is a GeForce 5200 FX.
I'm trying to install a Nvidia driver that will allow me to have 3d support (2d is fine)
I've spent hours reading guides and trying suggestions, but I've always gotten stuck somewhere.

I started with the Unofficial Fedora Faq site, which told me to use 'yum' to install kmod-nvidia (http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nvidia)
Even after trying alternate versions that were specific to my card, I've always gotten "No package kmod-nvidia available" as a response.

I then went to the NVIDIA Website and downloaded the right [i think] driver, and tried to install it.
I an error message telling me I needed to terminate the X Server.
I found another guide that told me to run the command 'vi /etc/inittab', and edit it to make Fedora boot in text only mode (runlevel 3)
After rebooting and accessing the directory, I was able to launch the Nvidia installer without any 'Server X' error message, but I found two more instead.
One told me to install 'gcc,' and 'make' with yum.
I installed both without a hitch, which brings me to my next problem.

The latest error message tells me that I am missing the proper kernel tree for installation.
Although I downloaded 'kernel-devel' and the other packages they recommend, I haven't been able to fix it.

I seem to have been able to make it this far by looking around the forums, but I'm completely stuck now, please help.
Loads of Thanks.
iamthird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 08:35 PM   #2
logan

Default Re: Missing Kernel Tree During Installation

I think you'll also need a kernel-headers package on RH/Fedora.
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 08:38 PM   #3
iamthird

I tried downloading it, and it said it was already installed, like the others.
iamthird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 04:24 AM   #4
Lysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthird View Post
I started with the Unofficial Fedora Faq site, which told me to use 'yum' to install kmod-nvidia (http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nvidia)
Even after trying alternate versions that were specific to my card, I've always gotten "No package kmod-nvidia available" as a response.
You have to install rpmfusion http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration before you can install kmod-nvidia.
Lysius is offline   Reply With Quote