Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-03-08, 01:03 PM   #1
invalidopcode

Default Video corruption with Quadro FX 2500m

I am having a serious video corruption problem with my Quadro FX 2500m and Ubuntu 8.10. The entire screen goes bad with different shades of white, gray, black lines and boxes flashing across the entire display.

I see no pattern as to what is causing the issue (i.e. windows popping up, flash in browsers, etc.).

The problem happens under KDE 4.x and Gnome. It happens with the desktop effects turned off.

The problem happens with the following Nvidia drivers:

180.11 (this driver is worse than .08, I see the desktop freeze which was gone in .08)
177.xx
173.xx

Resetting the X display with ctrl-alt-backspace does not help.

However, if I change the output to my external display on my laptop using the Function-CRT/LCD key combination, I get a good picture on the external display. Interestingly, the external display looks good except for a large black box. The box has appeared at many different locations and sizes. If I move a window over the black area, the screen is refreshed and all is good. With no physical monitor attached, the function-crt/lcd key combo has no effect [to be expected, I think, since the laptop detects no h/w].

Moreover, if I then switch back from the external displayy to the laptop display, everything is back to normal and working fine.

I have read these forums for the last several weeks and tried tons of different things to no avail.

If anybody has any ideas or things to try I am open to suggestions... Carrying an extra monitor with my laptop is tough on the back!
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (32.2 KB, 105 views)
invalidopcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 08:28 PM   #2
invalidopcode

Default Re: Video corruption with Quadro FX 2500m

I managed to take a screen shot while the screen was messed up by ssh'ing into the machine and running import. I have attached the screen shot.

Note that the screen dump looks good except for the black window area inside of firefox and the missing tool bar. And during this whole time, the actual display was pure garbage. I had to reboot my machine to bring it back up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-03Dec08-179333657.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	34282  
invalidopcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 01:46 AM   #3
ChristianGroove

I had the same problem.

Close and reopen the display and your display is back again.
I have no idea, what went wrong, maybe its also the display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidopcode View Post
I managed to take a screen shot while the screen was messed up by ssh'ing into the machine and running import. I have attached the screen shot.

Note that the screen dump looks good except for the black window area inside of firefox and the missing tool bar. And during this whole time, the actual display was pure garbage. I had to reboot my machine to bring it back up.
ChristianGroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 03:33 PM   #4
abensonox

I have the exact same problem (Dell Precision M90, Quadro FX 2500m, Fedora 10) - seems to happen at random. Closing the laptop lid and reopening restores the display. I also find that an external display looks OK when this happens.

Sounds like a hardware problem - did either of you figure out anything more about this?
abensonox is offline   Reply With Quote