Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-16-08, 10:35 AM   #1
DASPRiD

Default Port of Mosaic SLI to the GeForce series

Dear all,

I know that there is a high demand for this, but until now there is no solution for us. Everyone who is using more than two monitors is forced to use a second graphics card and this renders TwinView useless as it only supports the combination of the output of dual-head cards. Xinerama is no solution, as compositing with it is not possible (may it be due to a bug in xorg or the nvidia drivers). xrandr 1.2 is no solution either, as it supports only a single card like TwinView. xrandr 1.3 may solve the problem, but that is no fixed decision yet.

So now, nvidia has already solved the problem on Linux for the Quadro series (well and it was never a problem on Windows), which in fact has a very similar architecture as the GeForce series. I am very interested in an official statement, if nvidia is going to port the Mosaic SLI technic to the drivers of the GeForce series, so we are at least on the technological stand of Windows.

Regards,
Ben
DASPRiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 11:19 AM   #2
dillzz

Default Re: Port of Mosaic SLI to the GeForce series

DASPRiD,

I have been looking for an answer to this forever. Now I must deal with xinerama and terrible 2d performance. If you have any insight please pm me. Check out my recent post. I am looking for something from NVIDIA as well - whether it be, xrandr 1.3 is going to solve issues. OR one big screen. Unfortunately with mosiac SLI mode it shows as one big display across displays. Plus I do not have an SLI capable motherboard, mine is crossfire. So I would have to upgrade etc. The point is - this works in windows with my current configuration and not in linux, with motherboards shipping with more and more pci express lanes this is going to be common.

I for fun installed vista in a separate partition to test Aero (GL desktop) and it runs very smooth. In linux I can't even get 2d working well.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124631
dillzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 11:46 AM   #3
DASPRiD

Hey dillzz,

the one big screen isn't a problem, in the worst case, you can always use Fake Xinerama to fix fullscreen and centered stuff. See my blog post about that for more information: http://www.dasprids.de/blog/2008/12/...ux-with-nvidia
Old 12-17-08, 01:42 PM   #4
dillzz

DASPRiD,

Reading your post makes me laugh just a little. It felt like I wrote it myself. I had the same run down EXACTLY as you. I was going to link you to this link for ubuntu which shows there are many like us, but I saw your postings!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=884161&page=23

Like I mentioned in other posts - that would be great if mosiac worked but @ work I configure 12 headed systems where its not feasible. I did get XGL and 8.04 64bit to work nice.

I also ran a twinview setup off one card and seperate X session on the other both with compiz. Was fine when modified apps to display:0.1 etc. Got annoying real quick and I am back to xinerama across all three ( I bought 3 monitors for a reason). Lets Hope xrandr 1.3 solves everything - - - - or nvidia blows us away with a solution.
dillzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 06:55 PM   #5
JasonM
Ubuntu User

Yeah, just adding my voice here.

I'm under the impression that XRandR 1.3 will do what we want at that NVIDIA will support it. To be honest, I'm not sure where I picked that impression up at - maybe it's only wishful thinking?

I hope not. The poor multi-monitor support should be an embarrassment, maybe it is much more difficult technically than I think?
JasonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 08:12 AM   #6
DASPRiD

*bump*
Any news here?
Old 01-05-09, 11:12 AM   #7
DASPRiD

*bump*