Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-24-08, 06:48 PM   #1
TB303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 169
Default How to improve my 260 (216 cores) OC?

Hi People,
I'm getting used to my new Rig and today POCed my XFX 216 (260 Cores) for the first time.

I achieved a fairly stable 720Mhz GPU, 1552Mhz Shader and 1200Mhz on the memory - this amounts to a 3D mark Vantage score of 12705 (GPU 10314, CPU 41727 - respectable?). avarage core temp while gaming was around 60c peaking briefly at 65c (GPU fan at 60%),

I'm saying its fairly stabkle because after an hour of playing GTA4 (in all its glory, may I add) I did notice some very mild artifects, lkike once in 5 minutes one texture woudl be out of place for a second. It didn't look like 'proper' artifects I have witnessed before. I feel I could go further on the core perhaps also the memory, but I also want to get rid of the artifects. Is there anything I can do? Perhaps incease voltage to the card? Anythign else? Please share yoru thoughts,

Thanks!

Spec:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (400x9 3.6Ghz - 1.36Vcore)
Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro
4GB Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator, PC2-8500(1066)
XFX GTX 260 (216 Cores)
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P iP45
Coolermaster RealPower 700W
Antec 300 Three Hundred Case
TB303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 10:45 PM   #2
Eliminator
The Man With Brisk
 
Eliminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,673
Default Re: How to improve my 260 (216 cores) OC?

well if youre getting artifacts then you went too far... volt modding the GTX 280/260 doesnt help as much as having water cooling
__________________
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHZ
Asus P5B Deluxe
4GB OCZ Platinum PC8000 EL
BFG GTX 280 OC2 1GB @ 729/1512/2538
Dell 2405FPW 24"
3DMark: Vantage - P15397 | 06 - 18734
Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 11:11 PM   #3
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!
 
kaptkarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 406
Default Re: How to improve my 260 (216 cores) OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB303 View Post
Hi People,
I'm getting used to my new Rig and today POCed my XFX 216 (260 Cores) for the first time.

I achieved a fairly stable 720Mhz GPU, 1552Mhz Shader and 1200Mhz on the memory - this amounts to a 3D mark Vantage score of 12705 (GPU 10314, CPU 41727 - respectable?). avarage core temp while gaming was around 60c peaking briefly at 65c (GPU fan at 60%),

I'm saying its fairly stabkle because after an hour of playing GTA4 (in all its glory, may I add) I did notice some very mild artifects, lkike once in 5 minutes one texture woudl be out of place for a second. It didn't look like 'proper' artifects I have witnessed before. I feel I could go further on the core perhaps also the memory, but I also want to get rid of the artifects. Is there anything I can do? Perhaps incease voltage to the card? Anythign else? Please share yoru thoughts,

Thanks!


Spec:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (400x9 3.6Ghz - 1.36Vcore)
Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro
4GB Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator, PC2-8500(1066)
XFX GTX 260 (216 Cores)
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P iP45
Coolermaster RealPower 700W
Antec 300 Three Hundred Case

Seeing artifacts tells me you need to back down on the OC abit. Might I suggest backing off the shader clock first. BTW, what are you stock speeds? And I would go to a water cooling setup before attempting a voltage mod.....don't want to fry the card.

Why are you wanting to push it anyway? Are you having trouble running any games maxed out? My EVGA 216 core runs everything I throw at it full bore @ 1920x1200. Although I did OC mine abit also (see sig).


Kapt
__________________
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 motherboard
AMD Phenom ll X4 965 BE OC'd @ 3.6GHz
Vendetta cooler 120mm fan
16GB G. Skill Ripsaw DDR3 1600MHz memory
Powercolor 5870 OC'd to 949/1255
(OC'd only when gaming of course)
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA HD
Sony dual layer 16X DVD/CD Writer
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
HP w2408h 24" monitor running @ 1920x1200 native rez
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
kaptkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 09:21 AM   #4
Feyy
Registered User
 
Feyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,160
Default Re: How to improve my 260 (216 cores) OC?

Try with GPU fan at 80% with the same overclock and see if you still get artifacts.
__________________
________________________________
| CPU: Intel Q6600 B3 @ 3Ghz
| Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700 LED
| Mobo: Intel D975XBX2
| GFX: Inno 3D 8800 GTS 640MB
| PhysX: EVGA 8400 GS 256MB
| Memory: 2x1GB OCZ Platinum Rev2 PC6400
| PSU: OCZ StealthXtreme 600W PSU
| Monitor: Acer G24
| HDD: 320GB Seagate Barracuda
| Case: NZXT Lexa Blackline [Blue]
| Mouse: Steelseries Xai
| Mouse mat: Steelseries 4HD
________________________________
Feyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 11:25 PM   #5
john19055
 
john19055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: GREENVILLE,TX
Posts: 3,857
Default Re: How to improve my 260 (216 cores) OC?

Try turning your shaders down a little and see if that helps you don'nt gain that much with them that high,just taking a chace of messing up your card.If you were running your card that high ,I would log my tempertures and see how hot it gets with a heavy GPU dependent game ,I bet at just 60% with the fan it gets hotter then 65c,thats probally why you are seeing artifacts.
__________________
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 07:46 PM   #6
TB303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 169
Default Re: How to improve my 260 (216 cores) OC?

Hi People,
I added another fan and sorted some air flow issues in the case (who needs a sound card that doesn't work in Vista anyway? ;-)
and now reached:
Core 780Mhz/Shader 1570Mhz/1150Mhz memory - which is rock stable at Fan running 60% and I'm playign GTA for hours. I'm sure I can go a bit further but can clearly see it's the shader that drags me down, you can unlike them in Riva Tuner but there can only be a certain gap (400Mhz?) that above it you have to increase one to increase the other. I think the memory can go further.

Please share your thoughts,

Here is my GTA4 Bench result:

Statistics
Average FPS: 58.03
Duration: 37.09 sec
CPU Usage: 71%
System memory usage: 65%
Video memory usage: 96%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Render Quality: Very High
View Distance: 32
Detail Distance: 70

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (780Mhz/ Shader 1570Mhz/1150Mhz memory)
Video Driver version: 180.84
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 3.60GHz
TB303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 08:35 PM   #7
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: How to improve my 260 (216 cores) OC?

I doubt thats really stable, try running Furmark for a bit.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 11:17 PM   #8
jcrox
Mahna Mahna
 
jcrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison, Wi
Posts: 6,134
Default Re: How to improve my 260 (216 cores) OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john19055 View Post
Try turning your shaders down a little and see if that helps you don'nt gain that much with them that high,just taking a chace of messing up your card.If you were running your card that high ,I would log my tempertures and see how hot it gets with a heavy GPU dependent game ,I bet at just 60% with the fan it gets hotter then 65c,thats probally why you are seeing artifacts.
65c would not make one of these cards artifact... not even close.
__________________

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-09, 03:21 AM   #9
TB303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 169
Default Re: How to improve my 260 (216 cores) OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
I doubt thats really stable, try running Furmark for a bit.
Thanks,
Furmark really does crash the card in minutes. What should I reduce? Is it memory? Should I crank up the fan?

Because in real games (Crysis, GTA4) I can play for hours...
TB303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 08:17 AM   #10
john19055
 
john19055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: GREENVILLE,TX
Posts: 3,857
Default Re: How to improve my 260 (216 cores) OC?

Thats why I was saying turn down your shader clock .that is useally the first thing to start crashing.
__________________
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 08:24 AM   #11
Revs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,365
Default Re: How to improve my 260 (216 cores) OC?

TB303, you look to have pretty much reached the OC limits or your card. There is much more to be gained by upping your FSB anyway. 450x8 on your CPU would give a nice gain over 400x9. Messing with the GPU OC any more will only gain you a % or two in terms of performance and will really be straining you card.

Just my opinion

EDIT: If you still want to get more out of your card, try dropping the core a little (700mhz ish) and raising the memory OC.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 04:03 PM   #12
TB303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 169
Default Re: How to improve my 260 (216 cores) OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
TB303, you look to have pretty much reached the OC limits or your card. There is much more to be gained by upping your FSB anyway. 450x8 on your CPU would give a nice gain over 400x9. Messing with the GPU OC any more will only gain you a % or two in terms of performance and will really be straining you card.

Just my opinion

EDIT: If you still want to get more out of your card, try dropping the core a little (700mhz ish) and raising the memory OC.
Thanks People great advice! Will try 450*8

Regarding lowering the Shader clock, they seem to be linked, the more I lower the shader the more I have to Lower the core clock, even if I use Riva Tuner's 'Unlink frequencies'. - Am I missing something?
TB303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multicore CPU unpark cores and unleash your beast AthlonXP1800 CPUs, Motherboards And Memory 21 05-05-12 09:39 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.