Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-09, 11:30 PM   #1
renenel

Default Mandriva + GeForce 7600 = problems?

Hi,

I've been using Linux Mandriva 2007.0 with GeForce 7600 for a couple of years now, and I'm quite satisfied with it. After updating my nVidia driver to 177.82, it seems like compiz no longer works.

- When starting GNOME without any 3D effects, everything works fine - be there are no 3D effects.

- When starting it with AIGLX support - it starts without any effects, plus there are no window decorators. Please note that before updating the driver, AIGLX mode was disabled.

- When starting it with GLX support (that used to work) - it starts, I can see the cursor move around and change according to each position on the screen - but the screen is completely white. I can rotate the cube around, and use different special effects. But still - the screen is completely white. The only way to get around it is to restart the X server and turn off the effects.

I've tried the following:
1. Messing around with xorg.conf, trying different options - nothing worked.

2. Trying to reconfigure the video card via the mandriva control center - only caused my X to crash horribly. Reinstalling the driver got it back to the state seen above.

3. Adding LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 to /usr/bin/compiz-start.

4. Adding to my xorg file:
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "RenderAccel" "False"

5. I tried seeing if I can remove x11-xserver-xgl, but it's required for task3d-desktop, which is required in order to start mandriva's compiz manager (drak3d).

6. Downgrading to driver version 96.43.

4. Googling my questions, then googling it some more, and so here I am.

Nothing works... Is this a known issue? Is there anything more that could solve it?

Please note: I've downloaded and installed the driver from nvidia.com, and I probably still have the old nvidia driver kernel modules installed (those should probably be inactive). Could this be the problem, should I remove any RPMs I have?

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance,
Renen
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (27.8 KB, 75 views)
renenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 01:19 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Mandriva + GeForce 7600 = problems?

Do these problems reproduce with 180.18? Also, please make sure that Xgl is not running (even if the package is installed). If Mandriva requires Xgl to be running for it to run Compiz, then that seems like a bug for which I would recommend contacting Mandriva's support community.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 01:38 PM   #3
renenel

Hi,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I've checked it, and it seems like:
1. The still takes place with 180.18 - same issues.
2. When in AIGLX mode, XGL is not running, but I have no decorators, and no effects either.
3. When in XGL mode, XGL is running (shouldn't it?).

Anyway, I tried removing x11-xserver-xgl together with my compiz package and the additional task3d-desktop. I've installed compiz-quinnstorm and compiz-manager. Now, after logging into my session, I try to start compiz via the compiz-manager tray icon, I get the following errors:

** (compiz-manager:6378): WARNING **: Couldn't open /proc//environ
XGL Absent, assuming AIGLX
compiz: Another window manager is already running on screen: 0
compiz: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

When I query my compiz packages:

rpm -qa | g compiz
gset-compiz-0.3.4-5mdv2007.0
compiz-manager-0.13-1mdv2007.0
compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.57-3mdv2007.0
compiz-quinnstorm-plugins-0.37-3mdv2007.0

The log is attached.

I'm running out of ideas :\

Thanks,
Renen
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (34.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 01-06-09, 03:13 PM   #4
renenel

Default Some updates

Some updates:

After updating to compiz-0.3.2, now no matter with which configuration I start, xgl is not runnnig

So, if I start AIGLX or no-effects, then try to run compiz from a console. it says that:
compiz: Another window manager is already running on screen: 0
compiz: No manageable screens found on display :0

If I start it in XGL mode, the screen goes blue, like it went white before. I can see the cursor move but I cannot do anything except hit Ctrl+C... which closes compiz :\

What do you think?
Old 01-06-09, 03:19 PM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

These are not driver problems, so you might have better luck with Mandriva support. That said, it sounds like you need to run compiz with the "--replace" option to make it kill your existing window manager. Also, it sounds like you aren't loading the window decorator plugin and/or aren't running the window decorator itself. You probably need to pass the "gconf" or "ccp" options to compiz and run one of the various *-window-decorator programs. You can find a lot more information about how to configure Compiz in the Compiz Fusion forums.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 11:09 AM   #6
renenel

Hi,

Thanks, I'll try there as well

I tried using compiz with and without --replace gconf - the results were the same as the ones I described above. The thing is that compiz 0.0.13 used to run while Xgl was running (and working really well!) before I updated my nvidia driver...

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. Also, is there a way to "revert" to the driver I had before the update (i.e. the kernel modules that installed with my mandriva)?

Thanks,
Renen