Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-08-09, 12:21 AM   #109
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta leaked

x64 does nothing performance wise. x86 is faster even if you lose a tiny bit of ram.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 03:19 AM   #110
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta leaked

Not always. While there are few games that need 64 bit, a few mods, especially FakeFactory for HL2 have shown where 64bit is handy. Besides if no one takes the plunge with 64bit, how will it get better?

Also if you use WMP as your main player, once you go 64bit, you wont go back. The 64bit version is a lot faster when working with a larger library.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 04:19 AM   #111
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry
 
Shamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,612
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta leaked

Well, I "obtained" it, and I gotta say, I like it! I dunno about having it as a main OS, but I know I'll be buying when it's released. Even on an AMD 3500+/3GB ram/6800GT it's faster than my AMD 4800+/4GB ram/GTX260. Even hard drive thrashing.

I just don't like how it handles networking. I can see my XP machine, but can't do anything with it.
__________________
They're after me Lucky Charms!

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 06:15 AM   #112
Toss3
.<<o>>.
 
Toss3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta leaked

Downloading the x64 version from microsoft now...
__________________
: :Asus Rampage II Gene : : Core i7 920 4011Mhz : : 6Gb 1600Mhz A-Data DDR3 : : Club3D Theatron Agrippa : : Intel 80GB SSD : : 2xSamsung F1 750Gb : : Sapphire 5850 @ 850/1225Mhz : :
: :Benq FP241W : : Optoma HD80 Projector + 92" Screen : : Genelec 8020B speakers : : Sony MDR-XB700 Headphones : : Razer Lycosa : : Razer Lachesis : :
Toss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 06:17 AM   #113
Toss3
.<<o>>.
 
Toss3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta leaked

Btw. would you guys mind posting your WEI scores? And comp specs if they cannot be found in your sig.
__________________
: :Asus Rampage II Gene : : Core i7 920 4011Mhz : : 6Gb 1600Mhz A-Data DDR3 : : Club3D Theatron Agrippa : : Intel 80GB SSD : : 2xSamsung F1 750Gb : : Sapphire 5850 @ 850/1225Mhz : :
: :Benq FP241W : : Optoma HD80 Projector + 92" Screen : : Genelec 8020B speakers : : Sony MDR-XB700 Headphones : : Razer Lycosa : : Razer Lachesis : :
Toss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 06:26 AM   #114
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Not always. While there are few games that need 64 bit, a few mods, especially FakeFactory for HL2 have shown where 64bit is handy. Besides if no one takes the plunge with 64bit, how will it get better?

Also if you use WMP as your main player, once you go 64bit, you wont go back. The 64bit version is a lot faster when working with a larger library.
64bit photoshop is also very handy, but you are certainly right about 64bit WMP and fakefactory.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 06:28 AM   #115
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Well, I "obtained" it, and I gotta say, I like it! I dunno about having it as a main OS, but I know I'll be buying when it's released. Even on an AMD 3500+/3GB ram/6800GT it's faster than my AMD 4800+/4GB ram/GTX260. Even hard drive thrashing.

I just don't like how it handles networking. I can see my XP machine, but can't do anything with it.
networking is a bit wacky, plus they again introduced something new(HomeGroup) that probably will screw with networking again.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 06:48 AM   #116
Toss3
.<<o>>.
 
Toss3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
networking is a bit wacky, plus they again introduced something new(HomeGroup) that probably will screw with networking again.
I think the Homegroup feature is one of the best things about Win 7 - i could never get my home computers to share files this easy on Vista and XP.

Anyone know of a faster "microsoft download server" than the one zelda_fan posted - pm me!
__________________
: :Asus Rampage II Gene : : Core i7 920 4011Mhz : : 6Gb 1600Mhz A-Data DDR3 : : Club3D Theatron Agrippa : : Intel 80GB SSD : : 2xSamsung F1 750Gb : : Sapphire 5850 @ 850/1225Mhz : :
: :Benq FP241W : : Optoma HD80 Projector + 92" Screen : : Genelec 8020B speakers : : Sony MDR-XB700 Headphones : : Razer Lycosa : : Razer Lachesis : :
Toss3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-09, 07:45 AM   #117
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta leaked

I WAS a big fan of moving to x64 but found it to be nothing more than a headache. Performance in CPU intensive apps if x86 coded sucked. There aren't enough native x64 apps to make it worth my while. I also couldn't print to a shared printer attached to an x86 Vista machine. I liked using my extra ram however, but meh.

After using betas of W7 from 6801 up I've realized x64 at this time is still nothing more than a marketing ploy. Sure it sounds good but unless developers start writing x64 versions of everything the WOW emulation just kills the performance of alot of x86 applications. Winrar, QuickPar run extremely slowly in x64 vs x86 and when I've got 10 - 20GB files I'm extracting or repairing it can be extremely time consuming on x64. To date there are no x64 applications for either of those apps. Like you guys mentioned there are a few apps that DO benefit from x64 but those are few and far between and not worth losing the performance that the others lose.

As for the networking in Windows 7 I've had no issues sharing with XP and Vista at all. In fact I found it to be superior to Vista's networking which did have issues sharing with XP machines.

Looks like tomorrow build 7000 is to be released to the public for consumption. I've been running 7000 as my only OS since I've gotten it. I love it. Everything works and I've found the OS to run very, very well. Faster than XP even. I've finally found a worthy replacement to XP. I urge you guys to all try it, you will see that Windows 7 is the superior Windows Operating system. I've been able to run W7 on my laptop with only 1GB of ram. Something Vista wasn't able to do well. Vista was awful on my laptop, but W7 is as snappy as XP has been on my laptop.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 07:58 AM   #118
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta leaked

Windows 7 Beta is going to be free on Friday apparently:

http://lifehacker.com/5126076/window...load-on-friday

Looks like I'll be getting my copy on Friday at work, 16MB down FTW. I dunno what PC I'll put it on, but I'll find something to make my guinea pig.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 08:04 AM   #119
Toss3
.<<o>>.
 
Toss3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
I WAS a big fan of moving to x64 but found it to be nothing more than a headache. Performance in CPU intensive apps if x86 coded sucked. There aren't enough native x64 apps to make it worth my while. I also couldn't print to a shared printer attached to an x86 Vista machine. I liked using my extra ram however, but meh.

After using betas of W7 from 6801 up I've realized x64 at this time is still nothing more than a marketing ploy. Sure it sounds good but unless developers start writing x64 versions of everything the WOW emulation just kills the performance of alot of x86 applications. Winrar, QuickPar run extremely slowly in x64 vs x86 and when I've got 10 - 20GB files I'm extracting or repairing it can be extremely time consuming on x64. To date there are no x64 applications for either of those apps. Like you guys mentioned there are a few apps that DO benefit from x64 but those are few and far between and not worth losing the performance that the others lose.
There's a 64-bit version of 7-Zip and there is no reason to stick with 32-bit as 64-bit is in most cases as fast or faster. There are already a plethora of applications that support 64-bit, and as more users move on to the 64-bit environment the support for it grows!

Quote:
As for the networking in Windows 7 I've had no issues sharing with XP and Vista at all. In fact I found it to be superior to Vista's networking which did have issues sharing with XP machines.

Looks like tomorrow build 7000 is to be released to the public for consumption. I've been running 7000 as my only OS since I've gotten it. I love it. Everything works and I've found the OS to run very, very well. Faster than XP even. I've finally found a worthy replacement to XP. I urge you guys to all try it, you will see that Windows 7 is the superior Windows Operating system. I've been able to run W7 on my laptop with only 1GB of ram. Something Vista wasn't able to do well. Vista was awful on my laptop, but W7 is as snappy as XP has been on my laptop.
Agreed!
__________________
: :Asus Rampage II Gene : : Core i7 920 4011Mhz : : 6Gb 1600Mhz A-Data DDR3 : : Club3D Theatron Agrippa : : Intel 80GB SSD : : 2xSamsung F1 750Gb : : Sapphire 5850 @ 850/1225Mhz : :
: :Benq FP241W : : Optoma HD80 Projector + 92" Screen : : Genelec 8020B speakers : : Sony MDR-XB700 Headphones : : Razer Lycosa : : Razer Lachesis : :
Toss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 08:09 AM   #120
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
There's a 64-bit version of 7-Zip and there is no reason to stick with 32-bit as 64-bit is in most cases as fast or faster. There are already a plethora of applications that support 64-bit, and as more users move on to the 64-bit environment the support for it grows!
Maybe in the future, for now x86 has been working fast for me and I can print As for losing 700MB of memory I dont really care tbh. Whats 700MB or ram worth these days, $6? lol.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Windows 8 could be the next Vista News Archived News Items 0 06-15-12 10:30 AM
NVIDIA R302.80 Beta Driver for Windows 8, New OpenGL Extensions News Archived News Items 0 06-15-12 10:30 AM
Like XP or Vista: how will businesses treat Windows 8? News Archived News Items 0 06-06-12 09:10 AM
NVIDIA Brings 18 Years of Experience to Windows 8 News Archived News Items 0 06-03-12 06:20 AM
Sync it up: Hands on with the preview of Windows 8's cloud sync service News Archived News Items 0 06-02-12 08:30 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.