Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-09-09, 03:19 AM   #1
pe1chl

Default 180.22 now declared stable, what about repository?

Now that 180.22 is declared the stable driver, what will happen to the Nvidia repository of Linux distributions?
I have installed OpenSUSE 11.1 two weeks ago, and it has an "Nvidia repository" from which the driver can be installed using Yast.
However, that repository had driver 177.82 when I installed it, and it still has.

Will the repository be updated to 180.22 and when will that happen?
Or will it remain at 177.82 forever and do I have to use the manual install procedure when I want to upgrade my driver?
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 04:01 AM   #2
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Default Re: 180.22 now declared stable, what about repository?

As far as I know there is no repository officially provided and supported by nvidia, and in my opinion it shouldn't. There is a load of distributions out there, which tend to do things very differently (best example is ubuntu, which screwed up the driver loading mechanisms that much that a manual installation leaves your X broken).

From a personal point of view, I prefer nvidia putting the manpower (which seems to be not enough still) into driver development, not packaging drivers for all distributions (or even all major distributions) out there.

Packaging a driver to fit the distribution specific settings, mechanisms and file locations is up to the distribution, so contacting the responsible package maintainer is probably the best idea.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 04:06 AM   #3
Sevarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvFuchs View Post
As far as I know there is no repository officially provided and supported by nvidia, and in my opinion it shouldn't. There is a load of distributions out there, which tend to do things very differently (best example is ubuntu, which screwed up the driver loading mechanisms that much that a manual installation leaves your X broken).

From a personal point of view, I prefer nvidia putting the manpower (which seems to be not enough still) into driver development, not packaging drivers for all distributions (or even all major distributions) out there.

Packaging a driver to fit the distribution specific settings, mechanisms and file locations is up to the distribution, so contacting the responsible package maintainer is probably the best idea.

Fuchs
I do believe that you're talking out of yer butt. I use Ubuntu and manually update using the nvidia sh method and have NEVER had a problem with X being broken....save for my own tinkering.

I do agree that packaging belongs in the hands of the distros. To that effect, Alberto Milone handles the Ubuntu side as well as the ENVY_NG application for automating the nvidia driver process for not only ubuntu, but vanilla debian.

Don't talk FUD just because you have had a problem. Verify that its REALLY a problem first, eh?
Sevarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 05:15 AM   #4
Kirurgs

First of all, as author probably doesn't know, every distribution has its own repositories, which are maintained by their people only! They are in charge of everything in those repositories whether code is OS or binary blobs like nvidia or fglrx or any firmware! nVidia has absolutely nothing to do with distribution packaging! If You would like to blame someone, please do that in Suse part in the first place (which I personally don't recommend, since driver is one day old + many more other reasons )

I always install video drivers by hand (whether it is nvidia or ati) and never had problems which can't be solved fairly easily! To be exact - I have to install nvidia and fglrx manually, coz I'm using custom kernel...
** Homebrew desktop: AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM, integrated Radeon HD3300 + discrete Radeon 4850 512M, Windows 7 Ultimate (for games), ArchLinux i686, Gnome, 2.6.29, catalyst 9.4... (this now just rocks in lunix, really! )
Kirurgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 05:50 AM   #5
nevion

Wow, what an over-reacting thread this is.

from ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/README
Quote:
The driver RPMs hosted in this location are entirely built, maintained and supported by Novell/SUSE.
NVIDIA hosts them as a courtesy to Novell, however all problems and support requests related to
these RPMs should be reported to Novell via their bug tracking system:
http://bugzilla.novell.com
No clue why they do that but I'm fairly new to opensuse but it seems they do not update much of their kernel stuff after release which includes nvidia driver. In this particular case, since it shafts laptop users, I say its actually justified to remain at the 177 series despite how much it sucks. Anywho, just uninstall the packages and install the "nvidia" way. Opensuse is pretty good about not conflicting with it.

ps. I've been an experienced ubuntu user for years and its broke things with nvidia more than once, even when I opted out of installing ubuntu's packages for drivers (too out of date). They've only recently gotten things more straightened out. Not that I agree with this archive embedded shell script bull**** either. We all know where the drivers should be.
nevion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 06:04 AM   #6
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevarus View Post
I do believe that you're talking out of yer butt. I use Ubuntu and manually update using the nvidia sh method and have NEVER had a problem with X being broken....save for my own tinkering.

Don't talk FUD just because you have had a problem. Verify that its REALLY a problem first, eh?
Due to the fact that I never really used Ubuntu myself, but am a supporter in one of it's official communities, I guess that I was not the one facing that problem.

Giving the fact that there are several manuals on how to install the driver manually in Ubuntu, including http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490 and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaManual , and the fact that even googling for Ubuntu nvidia API mismatch gives you a load of results, I guess I am not spreading FUD here. Plus I never needed to bring on personal insults instead of arguments.
But if you still don't believe me, then just set up a vanilla ubuntu, download the NVIDIA installer, install all the header files needed and run the installer without any additional steps. After the next reboot you should get a conflict between the nvidia kernel module and libraries, resulting in the API mismatch message and a not starting X server.
Of course this problem does not occur if you know how to install the driver manually on an Ubuntu system, but normal users don't know, neither this is mentioned in any official manual because it is not the standard. That's what I said with ubuntu screwing up driver loading mechanisms.

So, watch your language, maybe think before reacting that rude and double check whether your opponent might be right after all. To pass back your argument: just because you didn't face a specific problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 05:23 AM   #7
pe1chl

Everybody seems to "know" that this repository is not maintained by nvidia and some even claim it shouldn't be.

However, the URL of the repository is http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.1
(as displayed in the Yast system management tool)

I think this indicates that it at least resides on an Nvidia server.
It is a bit difficult to browse around on the download.nvidia.com server because it acts strangely on http requests, but from another reply above I see it is possible to do it using FTP. Thanks.
Old 01-10-09, 05:47 AM   #8
pe1chl

I see that Novell/Suse have an open bugreport about providing the 180.22 driver via the repository, now.
Not completely clear why the repository is on an Nvidia server instead of a Novell server, probably some copyright issue.
When it would be on a Novell server I would not have asked here.

For Nvidia: it would be more convenient when download.nvidia.com responded to http requests with meaningful responses (ideally the actual files requested), instead of sending OK responses with "File not found" as application/octet-stream.

Old 01-10-09, 06:14 AM   #9
brucecadieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevion View Post
Wow, what an over-reacting thread this is.

from ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/README

No clue why they do that but I'm fairly new to opensuse but it seems they do not update much of their kernel stuff after release which includes nvidia driver. In this particular case, since it shafts laptop users, I say its actually justified to remain at the 177 series despite how much it sucks. Anywho, just uninstall the packages and install the "nvidia" way. Opensuse is pretty good about not conflicting with it.

ps. I've been an experienced ubuntu user for years and its broke things with nvidia more than once, even when I opted out of installing ubuntu's packages for drivers (too out of date). They've only recently gotten things more straightened out. Not that I agree with this archive embedded shell script bull**** either. We all know where the drivers should be.

Because they update security and severe bug fixes. They don't update for the sake of updating, if they did they would spend all their time creating new packages for all the various software and drivers.

There is of course nothing preventing you from getting the needed .spec files and creating the necessary rpms yourself.
brucecadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 06:34 AM   #10
nevion

@brucecadieux,

I was referring to why the repo is stored at nvidia, not about drivers being up to date in distro repos (sorry if the typo I had with and written as but lead you to believe otherwise). It's pretty obvious why distros checkpoint software and keep it there unless it happens to be retarded instance (the exception). And rather than build rpms and deal with spec file changes I'd rather just install nvidia's packages simply because its less work.
nevion is offline   Reply With Quote