Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-08, 02:04 AM   #1
kcrudup

Default gnome-terminal text corruption in 177.80 (bug report this time)

As was reported in this thread and this thread, there's text corruption/rendering problems in every release after 177.76.

It appears to be related to suspend/resume, or removing a display (via the graphical tool)- I tend to do both at the same time (disable the 2nd screen before leaving home, then suspending, then resuming some time later using only the laptop display). I don't see this issue on a fresh X session from boot.

What happens is things like "less" require a redraw (ctrl-L) before everything shows up on screen, but the easiest way to see it is do a "make menuconfig" on any linux kernel, then navigate thru the menus with the arrow keys- when you "exit" back a menu level you'll see the corruption I'm talking about.

Bug report attached; in the meantime, I have to revert back to 177.76
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (42.5 KB, 136 views)
Old 10-12-08, 12:57 AM   #2
kcrudup

Default Re: gnome-terminal text corruption in 177.80 (bug report this time)

I figured out what's been going on- turns out the issue is related to PowerMizer (again ...)

I noticed this happened even on 177.76 when I was on battery- so after taking a couple of hours of playing with everything- Xorg settings, nvidia-settings, kernel-module modprobe options, I discovered that it only happens when PowerMizer sets the GPU/MEM frequencies to "Level 1" (169/100 MHz, respectively). Since on battery, and if the screen is otherwise idle it likes to dwell at this level (I ain't mad; I like my on-battery power savings! ) I'd see it more. (This also might have something to do with why I see this more after a hibernation resume, as well).

Running a looping script based off the findings in this thread (where querying the OpenGL level brings PowerMizer to the highest state before gradually dropping it to medium, then to "idle") fixes this issue.

NOW- since I don't really want to have to run at the highest levels all the time (esp. when on battery, regardless of the poster's power-usage analysis), is there something I can do/run to set the frequency at "medium" (275 GPU/200 MEM) all the time as decent compromise? My xterms must have integrity; I make most of my living via them.

(One good thing is that I'm back to running the current 177.80 again ...)
Old 10-31-08, 10:54 AM   #3
sordna

I noticed the same on my desktop. If I connect an HDMI monitor to my graphics card (I get sound that way from an 9500GT card) Power Mizer's performance stays stuck on "high" (no idea why), and I don't see the rendering issue.

If I connect a non-HDMI monitor, Power Mizer works as expected (goes to low when no fancy graphics stuff is going on) and I see the rendering issues then... and I use "rxvt",
not gnome-terminal.

sordna
sordna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 11:04 AM   #4
jcornwall

It's a race condition, as explained in Aaron's other posts.

Adjusting the clock just affects the probability of the race occurring. It's not the cause of it.
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 11:13 AM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sordna View Post
I noticed the same on my desktop. If I connect an HDMI monitor to my graphics card (I get sound that way from an 9500GT card) Power Mizer's performance stays stuck on "high" (no idea why), and I don't see the rendering issue.

If I connect a non-HDMI monitor, Power Mizer works as expected (goes to low when no fancy graphics stuff is going on) and I see the rendering issues then... and I use "rxvt",
not gnome-terminal.
If you're running Compiz, then this sounds like a known race condition inherent to the way Compiz and the X server process rendering. As for PowerMizer, certain screen resolutions require the GPU to be in a higher performance level to guarantee that there's sufficient bandwidth to supply the screen with data. Since the compiz/damage problem is so timing-sensitive, I'm not surprised that a change in the GPU performance level affects how often the problem occurs.

[Edit: jcornwall beat me to it]
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-08, 04:48 PM   #6
technoviking

What is the best way to fix this race condition?
technoviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 01:32 PM   #7
technoviking

Still exist 180.16.
technoviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 07:33 AM   #8
kvaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
If you're running Compiz, then this sounds like a known race condition inherent to the way Compiz and the X server process rendering. As for PowerMizer, certain screen resolutions require the GPU to be in a higher performance level to guarantee that there's sufficient bandwidth to supply the screen with data. Since the compiz/damage problem is so timing-sensitive, I'm not surprised that a change in the GPU performance level affects how often the problem occurs.

Any chances to have that fixed soon ?
kvaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-09, 08:21 AM   #9
wiresquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post

Now I think I see why my default powermizer performance level has been 'upped' and it runs always at level 1 in 180.22, whereas in previous driver versions, it would (mainly) run very happily at level 0 (without any IPP etc).

ws
wiresquire is offline   Reply With Quote