Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-11-09, 08:16 AM   #1
bobdobbs00

Default New 180 driver on ubuntu ibis continues miserable nvidia experience.

I'm using a GF8600XT.

I've been using the old, buggy version 96 driver, because the newer versions drop my resolution to a horribly low lever. The cost of using the older driver is that KDE apps are unusable.

I updated to the newest driver, hoping that the persistant and common resolution problem would be solved.

Alas, the newer driver still cannot produce a usable resolution on my system.
This is both with and without the supplied tool creating it's own customised xorg.conf.
So, I'm trying to roll back to the older buggy driver.
(Unfortunatly, this is always a drawn out, painful experience).

I look forward to the day nvidia can correct this extremely annoying problem, and make the 8600 reliable on linux.
bobdobbs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 08:34 AM   #2
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Default Re: New 180 driver on ubuntu ibis continues miserable nvidia experience.

How about posting a bug report as mentioned in the how to report problems thread?

Or do you think that your problem is going to be solved all by itself?

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 09:24 AM   #3
bobdobbs00

Default Re: New 180 driver on ubuntu ibis continues miserable nvidia experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvFuchs View Post
How about posting a bug report as mentioned in the how to report problems thread?

Or do you think that your problem is going to be solved all by itself?

Fuchs
A mite defensive, aren't we?

The bug report will come. But it's not at the top of my list of priorities.
First I aim to repair the video output on my system.
Xorg being as complex as it is, and nvidia linux drivers being as problematic as they are, this will take a while.

I feel that potential users of the new driver should get feedback before jumping in and trying themselves, so that they know what kind of hurdles they might face. Don't you think?
Old 01-11-09, 09:38 AM   #4
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdobbs00 View Post
I feel that potential users of the new driver should get feedback before jumping in and trying themselves, so that they know what kind of hurdles they might face. Don't you think?
No. I think that there should be a bug report along, because otherwise you can never be sure whether the problem is not configuration, third party software or, especially in your case, third party hardware (Monitors with broken EDID) related. The nvidia driver clearly has bugs, but there are also many reports in this forum which where finally not related to the driver at all.

Also many people (volunteers and nvidia employees) here try to help solving problems like the ones you are facing, but they do need information in order to be able to help.

As long as you don't provide this information, I'd consider your posting, no offense, as useless from a "users should be warned" and from a "get my problem solved" point of view.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 09:40 AM   #5
gbil

Quote:
A mite defensive, aren't we?

The bug report will come. But it's not at the top of my list of priorities.
First I aim to repair the video output on my system.
Xorg being as complex as it is, and nvidia linux drivers being as problematic as they are, this will take a while.

This forum doesn't need any more trolls.
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 05:21 PM   #6
bobdobbs00

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbil View Post
This forum doesn't need any more trolls.
Easy, tiger.

Like I said to Fuchs - the bug report will come.
But first I have to recover my system to a usable state.
This could take a while.
Old 01-11-09, 06:20 PM   #7
jonnycat26

Quote:
But first I have to recover my system to a usable state.
This could take a while.
Yet you have time to come troll on here.
jonnycat26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 09:22 PM   #8
bobdobbs00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycat26 View Post
Yet you have time to come troll on here.
It is not my intent to troll.

Also, iit is quiet possible to post, read and search on a seperate computer while another computer is rebooting or engaging in other time-consuming tasks.
And much rebooting and killing of X has been been happening.

Anyway, for now I have gone back to the 177 driver, installed via ubuntu's restricted drivers manager. The resolution was extremely low again, so I used 'nvidia-xconfig', which I believe changes settings in the xorg.conf.
This didn't work to allow me to change the resolution. It was still very low. So I ran 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg', rebooted.

It looks like this command recreates the xorg.conf and removes references to the nvidia driver provided by ubuntu's driver restricted driver manager.
After the reboot I have normal resolution back, but the windows feel clunky and "smear" across the screen.

The generated xorg is pretty simple:
Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
So, the driver was removed from the conf by dpkg. At least I have usable resolution, albeit no advanced functionality from the nvidia card..

Attached to this post is a gzipped generated bug report log and installer log in case it could be useful.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (35.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-installer.log.gz (6.3 KB, 70 views)