Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-12-09, 07:42 PM   #1
glObalist
working as intended

Default [troll alert] Let's make another Win7 thread

I couldn't get the ISO to install in my VMware Server 1.0.7... tried both IDE and SCSI harddrives, but it BSODs (quite a sight in a VM) after the first reboot during the installation.

And I don't care.

Until MS make significant changes to the OS, such as a Total Commander-styled file explorer or auto-complete for CMD prompt, or meaningful error dumps, or eliminate the registry, there's no real reason for a nerd such as myself to move from XP is there? And no I don't care about the Aero or the Big Friendly Search Button or the supposed security enhancements...
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 07:06 AM   #2
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: [troll alert] Let's make another Win7 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist View Post
I couldn't get the ISO to install in my VMware Server 1.0.7... tried both IDE and SCSI harddrives, but it BSODs (quite a sight in a VM) after the first reboot during the installation.

And I don't care.

Until MS make significant changes to the OS, such as a Total Commander-styled file explorer or auto-complete for CMD prompt, or meaningful error dumps, or eliminate the registry, there's no real reason for a nerd such as myself to move from XP is there? And no I don't care about the Aero or the Big Friendly Search Button or the supposed security enhancements...
Well, if you're satisfied with Xp, then no there's no reason to move on to Windows 7. Windows 7 is just easier to work with than XP and prettier to look at.
Old 01-13-09, 07:45 AM   #3
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Sounds like he wants windows to go backwards. Auto complete in CMD lmao, isn't that like 10 years ago? Why not just use Linux. You can happily type away commands like DOS while the rest of the world actually gets things done lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 08:30 AM   #4
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Sounds like he wants windows to go backwards. Auto complete in CMD lmao, isn't that like 10 years ago? Why not just use Linux. You can happily type away commands like DOS while the rest of the world actually gets things done lol.
You've never administered more than a handful of desktops, have you?
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 08:39 AM   #5
glObalist
working as intended

He hasn't even done that. Only checks his WEI score once in a week.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
Old 01-13-09, 08:39 AM   #6
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

You don't really need auto complete in the Command Prompt. Most commands are less than 8-10 letters: ping, ipconfig, path, etc . . .
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 08:43 AM   #7
glObalist
working as intended

Well but commands also have subcommands and switches which are the crux of the problem most of the time, plus autocomplete can be used in more ways than that- take the filenames autocomplete feature in linux terminal as an example...
Quote:
Old 01-13-09, 08:48 AM   #8
Q

Quote:
Well but commands also have subcommands and switches which are the crux of the problem most of the time, plus autocomplete can be used in more ways than that- take the filenames autocomplete feature in linux terminal as an example...
Exactly.

Try using the "net" command sometime. Or any of the DS commands.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-09, 09:17 AM   #9
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
I totally understand that, but like for me, I rarely use any real long command in command prompt. The longest one I use is probably ipconfig /flushdns lol.

EDIT: I take that back, it's probably "shutdown -r -f -t 0".
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote