Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-15-09, 01:49 PM   #1
wysiwyg

Default EVGA step up for my GTX280 SSC?

i was looking at EVGAs step up but it didnt seem to have any step up options yet to a 285 or 295

am i correct?
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 08:55 PM   #2
Monnie Rock

Send a message via ICQ to Monnie Rock Send a message via Yahoo to Monnie Rock
Default Re: EVGA step up for my GTX280 SSC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
i was looking at EVGAs step up but it didnt seem to have any step up options yet to a 285 or 295

am i correct?
You will only be able to step-up to a vanilla GTX285 or Vanilla GTX295. EVGA does not allow you to go from a GTX280 SSC to a GTX285 SSC with the step-up program.

Vanilla = reference design clocks/base entry level card only. Not SC,SSC,FTW

The step-up was the reason I paid a little extra for the EVGA, will not do that again.

Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Tower || Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe || AMD Athlon 64 FX-60(17x200FSB) || VapoChill Lightspeed || 4Gb OCZ PC3200 2-2-2-5 || Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W W0156RU|| 2x SATAII Western Digital Caviar SE 160 GB RAID 0 || 2x EVGA GTX 280 SCC SLI || Creative X-fi || Plextor SATA PX-716SA DVD±RW || Mitsubishi DP2070SB-SV 22"CRT || Vista Ultimate 64 bit || TM Cougar HOTAS NXT Mod || Simped F-16C Rudder Pedals || Track IR 3 Pro || RME Fireface 800 || Mesa Boogie Tri-Axis || TC Electronics G-Force || BBE 882i || Sennheiser HD650 || Ibanez Jem7 VWH || Ibanez Universe 7 String || Sonar 7 Producer Edition
Monnie Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 09:22 PM   #3
henrybravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monnie Rock View Post
You will only be able to step-up to a vanilla GTX285 or Vanilla GTX295. EVGA does not allow you to go from a GTX280 SSC to a GTX285 SSC with the step-up program.

Vanilla = reference design clocks/base entry level card only. Not SC,SSC,FTW

The step-up was the reason I paid a little extra for the EVGA, will not do that again.
Sorry you weren't happy. It worked out great for me. In November I bought a vanilla 280 GTX, overclocked it to faster than FTW speeds, and got 2 months of great gaming out of it. Now I'm stepping up to the vanilla GTX 285 for $6 (the price of shipping). I'm expecting to get speeds of at least 720/1700/2800.

HB
henrybravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 09:58 PM   #4
Monnie Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrybravo View Post
Sorry you weren't happy. It worked out great for me. In November I bought a vanilla 280 GTX, overclocked it to faster than FTW speeds, and got 2 months of great gaming out of it. Now I'm stepping up to the vanilla GTX 285 for $6 (the price of shipping). I'm expecting to get speeds of at least 720/1700/2800.

HB
Sure I am tempted to step-up to a vanilla GTX285 and overclock it. But, there is no guarantee that will happen compared to a factory overclocked card at advertised speeds.

What if you get a dud and it only works at factory clocks or less than 5% overclock? There is nothing wrong with the card so a RMA is not possible. It performs as advertised and your projected theory of 720/1700/2800 is a mere dream.

In your situation , you are going from vanilla to vanilla, I do not see the difference for me wanting to go from SSC to SSC. That is what I am disappointed about.

Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Tower || Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe || AMD Athlon 64 FX-60(17x200FSB) || VapoChill Lightspeed || 4Gb OCZ PC3200 2-2-2-5 || Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W W0156RU|| 2x SATAII Western Digital Caviar SE 160 GB RAID 0 || 2x EVGA GTX 280 SCC SLI || Creative X-fi || Plextor SATA PX-716SA DVD±RW || Mitsubishi DP2070SB-SV 22"CRT || Vista Ultimate 64 bit || TM Cougar HOTAS NXT Mod || Simped F-16C Rudder Pedals || Track IR 3 Pro || RME Fireface 800 || Mesa Boogie Tri-Axis || TC Electronics G-Force || BBE 882i || Sennheiser HD650 || Ibanez Jem7 VWH || Ibanez Universe 7 String || Sonar 7 Producer Edition
Old 01-16-09, 05:02 AM   #5
wysiwyg

what i was more refering to is there were no cards listed for step up to on the site

id be happy to go from my 280 ssc to a 295 vanilla as thats still a boost
Old 01-16-09, 08:25 PM   #6
john19055

BFG will let you step up to a GTX 295 ,but they do not have the GTX 285 for a step-up.But it would just cost me around $90 to step up to a GTX 295 and then I would have a BFG GTX 280 OCX left over.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 08:50 PM   #7
wysiwyg

why do you mention BFG?
Old 01-16-09, 08:59 PM   #8
wysiwyg

here is the email off EVGA. does it mean i need to await a confirmation or do i just send my card to them now for the step up?

"Dear wysiwyguk,
This message is to confirm that EVGA has received your Step-Up request. At this time you will be added into our waiting list for the Step-up. You will not receive any notification until you are out of the waiting list. Please login to our website https://www.evga.com/login.asp and you can check the status of your Step-up in your 'My Products' section at anytime.

Please read carefully on our Step-up requirements:

Step-Up Summary:
----------------------------------------------
Part Number:**
Serial Number: ****
If you have any questions regarding the status of this RMA please contact us at RMA@evga.com or call us at 888.880.3842 Mon-Fri 9am-5:30pm PST
Step Up RMA
Please ship all contains including accessories, CD's, manuals and the original packaging as part of the Step-Up terms and conditions. If you do not have the original packaging then make sure you pack the product safely in a secure box. EVGA offers no cross-shipping for Step-Ups. For full details visit:http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp?switch=2
PACKAGING
Please make sure that you include all parts and accessories with the retail box when you send your product in. Please be sure to ship your return product to EVGA via a traceable air express company, which can provide you with a proof of delivery if necessary. (i.e. UPS, FedEx, Airborne Express, Burlington or DHL).

TURNAROUND TIME
Unless otherwise specified, EVGA aims to ship the Step-Up product within three business days upon receipt of the Original card.

REPLACEMENT WARRANTY PERIOD
The warranty period for your replacement product is the remainder of the original product warranty. When you register your new step-up product with us please make sure you put in the original date from your original product.

QUALITY STANDARDS
This product is the requested video card model that you submitted for in the Step-Up request has passed the same quality standards as our new product. If you are returning product from a location outside of the United States, U.S. Customs requires that a Commercial Invoice be attached to your shipment for importation. Please note that you do not need to pay any invoice sent out with your replacement product. This paperwork is sent to explain at customs that the product is merely an "in-warranty" replacement.

SHIPPING INFORMATION
Currently we ONLY ship to continental United States, Canada, and Europe with European customer's video card(s) models with 'E' in the part number, ex. (256-P2-E575-AX).We do not ship to PO Boxes, and only to physical addresses. For all European Step-Up requests you will need to contact our European office at: Tel: +49 89 189 049 0
EVGA'S VOID WARRANTY POLICY
By way of example product received from customers evidencing any of the following conditions are NOT eligible for "in warranty" replacement:
-- Inadequate packaging

Some examples are:
-- Multiple products packed into a single box without separators to prevent contact with adjacent products.
-- Products packed in boxes without protective cushioning.
-- Products shipped with Styrofoam peanuts only.
-- Products where the EVGA Serial Number has been removed or defaced.
-- Physical damage to the product i.e. a broken or dented printed circuit board assembly.
-- Components added or removed from the printed circuit board.
-- Water Damage due to modification to the GPU using a water block of any type.

Any missing or broken components belonging to the returned product are subject to a 15% penalty fee based of the MSRP Value of the video card. If the original stock cooling system has been modified or replaced with an After-market cooling solution, it will have to be returned to its original manufacturing condition before sending for warranty. Failure to do so will result in rejection of warranty service and void the product's warranty.

You will be notified via email once your Step-Up request is ready for additional processing.

EVGA
"

considering im in UK too

Old 01-16-09, 09:04 PM   #9
wysiwyg

Old 01-16-09, 10:04 PM   #10
Monnie Rock

Means they are out of stock and you have been placed on a waiting list. You will be e-mailed once you are required to send your card in as the card is back in stock.