Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-09, 02:44 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Seagate Barracuda 1TB Drives Biting The Dust

In the wake of freezing issues with Seagate's 1.5TB drives comes yet another problem with the Barracuda 7200.11 series. Failure rates of the 1TB drives in particular are abnormally high, but Seagate has not acknowledged the problem.

Now 11 pages long, the "official" problem discussion thread on the Seagate support forums is full of users reporting problems with the ST31000340AS, the 1TB Barracuda 7200.11 drive.

One user built a 6TB RAID array three months ago. In two months, one of the drives failed. A second drive failed about a month later, and a third eight days after that. Another user had four out of five of their drives fail within 12 days of purchase. Reports of failures can also be found on other forums as well. Some data recovery and RMA centers have reported failure rates of approximately 30 to 40 percent, but Seagate has not released any official information.

The issue lies with faulty microcode in firmware version SD15, found on drives manufactured in Thailand. Generally, the drive will operate normally until the time of failure and at some point will lock up and prevent detection by the BIOS, rendering it completely unusable.

While Seagate has not publicly acknowledged the problem as of yet, they have reportedly updated the firmware on all newly manufactured drives, however the firmware cannot be update on drives that have already failed because the BIOS does not even detect them. This means that owners of affected drives require data recovery services to save their critical data.

No recall on unsold drives with the affected firmware has been issued.


http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sea...ling,6844.html
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 03:36 PM   #2
DeusGear
Registered User
 
DeusGear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 575
Default Re: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Drives Biting The Dust

Same thing is going on with my 500gb baracuda es.2 drive. Never buying from them again.
__________________
Abit ip35 pro
q6600 3.6
MSI N480GTX
8gb G.Skill
Win7
DeusGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 03:36 PM   #3
CAUTION
Registered User
 
CAUTION's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 134
Unhappy Re: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Drives Biting The Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
In the wake of freezing issues with Seagate's 1.5TB drives comes yet another problem with the Barracuda 7200.11 series. Failure rates of the 1TB drives in particular are abnormally high, but Seagate has not acknowledged the problem.

Now 11 pages long, the "official" problem discussion thread on the Seagate support forums is full of users reporting problems with the ST31000340AS, the 1TB Barracuda 7200.11 drive.

One user built a 6TB RAID array three months ago. In two months, one of the drives failed. A second drive failed about a month later, and a third eight days after that. Another user had four out of five of their drives fail within 12 days of purchase. Reports of failures can also be found on other forums as well. Some data recovery and RMA centers have reported failure rates of approximately 30 to 40 percent, but Seagate has not released any official information.

The issue lies with faulty microcode in firmware version SD15, found on drives manufactured in Thailand. Generally, the drive will operate normally until the time of failure and at some point will lock up and prevent detection by the BIOS, rendering it completely unusable.

While Seagate has not publicly acknowledged the problem as of yet, they have reportedly updated the firmware on all newly manufactured drives, however the firmware cannot be update on drives that have already failed because the BIOS does not even detect them. This means that owners of affected drives require data recovery services to save their critical data.

No recall on unsold drives with the affected firmware has been issued.


http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sea...ling,6844.html

Damn, I just purchased two of these drives for my home server that I just built.
__________________
Intel Core i7 940 2.9GHz OC @ 3.8
G.SKILL PI Black 3GB DDR3 2000MHZ
Nvidia EVGA X58 SLI MotherBoard
2X BFG GTX295's in Quad SLI
9800GT for dedicated PhysX
TOPOWER 1200 Watts Power Supply SLI Ready!
Western Digital SATA-150GB-Raptor
2X Western Digital SATA-500GB-Caviar SE in RAID 0
CM COSMOS S Custom Case
2X Gateway XHD3000 30" Widescreen HD LCD Monitor

Notebook: HP Pavilion dv9820us
CAUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 04:18 PM   #4
CaptNKILL
CUBE
 
CaptNKILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Drives Biting The Dust

Gahhhh...

Suddenly the new 500Gb platter Seagate drives are looking much less attractive...

That really sucks. I've always been a big Seagate fan. I've been using their drives for years with no problems.
__________________
---- Primary Rig ---- CoolerMaster 690 II Advance - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz + Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
6GB DDR2 @ 942Mhz 5-5-5-20 1.9v (2x1Gb Wintec AMPX PC2-8500 & 2x2Gb G.Skill PC2-6400) - EVGA Geforce GTX 470 @ 750/1500/1850 (1.050v)
Sparkle Geforce GTS 250 1Gb Low-Profile (Physx) - Crucial RealSSD C300 64Gb SSD - Seagate 7200.12 500Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 04:54 PM   #5
Bman212121
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,726
Default Re: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Drives Biting The Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
Gahhhh...

Suddenly the new 500Gb platter Seagate drives are looking much less attractive...

That really sucks. I've always been a big Seagate fan. I've been using their drives for years with no problems.
I think the issue is mainly around the 11 series. I have a ton of drives from the 10 series and no issues with any of them. I'm just waiting a little bit to here if the 12 series has been corrected.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 04:58 PM   #6
CaptNKILL
CUBE
 
CaptNKILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Drives Biting The Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
I think the issue is mainly around the 11 series. I have a ton of drives from the 10 series and no issues with any of them. I'm just waiting a little bit to here if the 12 series has been corrected.
Yeah I know, I have 2 7200.10s and a 7200.8 but still... Seagate has always been a top notch brand. Its hard to see them as the most reliable drives when they drop their warranty from 5 to 3 years and have massive failures on one of their main products.
__________________
---- Primary Rig ---- CoolerMaster 690 II Advance - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz + Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
6GB DDR2 @ 942Mhz 5-5-5-20 1.9v (2x1Gb Wintec AMPX PC2-8500 & 2x2Gb G.Skill PC2-6400) - EVGA Geforce GTX 470 @ 750/1500/1850 (1.050v)
Sparkle Geforce GTS 250 1Gb Low-Profile (Physx) - Crucial RealSSD C300 64Gb SSD - Seagate 7200.12 500Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 05:12 PM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Drives Biting The Dust

warranty drop was a bit convenient, right before the issues started appearing
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 05:25 PM   #8
CaptNKILL
CUBE
 
CaptNKILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Drives Biting The Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
warranty drop was a bit convenient, right before the issues started appearing
Yeah, though it does seem like most of the issues with the 7200.11 were happening well before the warranty would expire.

I guess warranties really aren't that important. You want reliability above all. Replacing a $90 drive is nothing compared to losing a Terabyte of data.
__________________
---- Primary Rig ---- CoolerMaster 690 II Advance - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz + Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
6GB DDR2 @ 942Mhz 5-5-5-20 1.9v (2x1Gb Wintec AMPX PC2-8500 & 2x2Gb G.Skill PC2-6400) - EVGA Geforce GTX 470 @ 750/1500/1850 (1.050v)
Sparkle Geforce GTS 250 1Gb Low-Profile (Physx) - Crucial RealSSD C300 64Gb SSD - Seagate 7200.12 500Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-09, 05:44 PM   #9
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!
 
Madpistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 4,554
Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Drives Biting The Dust

I've always bought Western Digital drives since starting to build computers. Looks like I will continue to do that as well.

Sorry to hear about drive failures though. Those are never fun.
__________________
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/deta...d%20Pistol.png


MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 06:01 PM   #10
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Drives Biting The Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
Yeah, though it does seem like most of the issues with the 7200.11 were happening well before the warranty would expire.

I guess warranties really aren't that important. You want reliability above all. Replacing a $90 drive is nothing compared to losing a Terabyte of data.
you are right about that, that is what i'm trying to do now, to have all my data in two locations.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 07:22 PM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Drives Biting The Dust

Seagate offers fix, free data recovery for bricked Barracudas

Seagate has acknowledged the bricking issue surrounding Barracuda 7200.11 hard drives, and it's trying to make things right by offering a firmware fix and data recovery services. Here's the full statement from company spokesman Mike Hall:
Seagate has isolated a potential firmware issue in certain products, including some Barracuda 7200.11 hard drives and related drive families based on this product platform, manufactured through December 2008. In some circumstances, the data on the hard drives may become inaccessible to the user when the host system is powered on*.
As part of our commitment to customer satisfaction, we are offering a free firmware upgrade to those with affected products. To determine whether your product is affected, please visit the Seagate Support web site at here. Support is also available through Seagate's call center: 1-800-SEAGATE (1 800 732-4283)

Customers can expedite assistance by sending an email to Seagate (discsupport@seagate.com). Please include the following disk drive information: model number, serial number and current firmware revision. We will respond, promptly, to your email request with appropriate instructions. There is no data loss associated with this issue, and the data still resides on the drive. But if you are unable to access your data due to this issue, Seagate will provide free data recovery services. Seagate will work with you to expedite a remedy to minimize any disruption to you or your business. For a list of international telephone numbers to Seagate Support and alternative methods of contact, please access http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/

The free data recovery for already-bricked hard drives seems like a nice touch, especially considering the cost of third-party services. According to the knowledge base entry, though, the issue may affect a fairly large number of drive models-not just the 1TB four-platter drive we talked about earlier this week. Seagate recommends that users with 1.5TB, 750GB, 640GB, 500GB, 320GB, and 160GB Barracuda 7200.11 drives, along with some Maxtor and ES.2 models, all install the firmware update.

http://www.techamok.com/?pid=5702


little news exposure, and suddeny there is a fix
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 08:03 PM   #12
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Drives Biting The Dust

Wow. I just built someone 3 seperate machines using 640gb drives.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seagate serial ATA drives late October SavagePaladin General Hardware 5 10-04-02 07:24 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.