Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-16-09, 01:14 AM   #1
eliwap

Default Legacy Drivers

Please.... Nvidia Guys... no comments from the peanut gallery parroting "whadya expect"

Can we get a firm and unambiguous statement of policy and commitment of advancement for legacy drivers? Please? Are legacy drivers going to receive timely support or not?

Please? And common guys. You've got a decent driver in stable for newer cards and I'm quite satisfied with it. But my older card has been in Beta for quite some time. I am grateful that you took the time to get it working at all.

But, I'm not going away, nor am I satisfied with barely working drivers.

Nvidia Guys... Either tell me I'm wasting my time waiting for drivers and I'll move on (thanks for all the fish) or provide the support for a paying custormer and a customer that would prefer to stick with Nvidia.

Thanks.
eliwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 06:18 AM   #2
Windseeker

Default Re: Legacy Drivers

Please, no single bit of offense meant, but I really did not get the grip on what problem is for you and what you think needs to be done by Nvidia. So just in case that the Nvidia developers have the same problem in understanding, perhaps it would be better to explain that in another way.
Windseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-09, 03:06 AM   #3
eliwap

The first problem. The Legacy Drivers that work with newer kernels are Beta with Preliminary support for the newer X.org.

As a result the driver driver is slow. Better than vga but slow none the less.

Besides all that... The newer drivers are going through constant imporvement. How about some timely support for cards that people have already bought rather than cards that Nvidia hopes to sell?
Old 01-17-09, 03:22 AM   #4
Windseeker

Okay, surely I cannot speak about the plans of nvidia. But I have one machine that uses an GeForce FX5200. This card is now 5 generations behind the actual and works like a charm with Ubuntu 8.10 and the beta legacy drivers. It's not fast, but that's what I expect from a multi year old lowest-end card. It does its job smooth and without problems. I don't think that there is a chance to speed up such an old card just by tweaking the driver.

I didn't see any problems so far, so I think I just ignore the fact that the driver is in beta state. This beta driver is much more stable than some release drivers I saw (from Nvidia and others).

So perhaps you are expecting too much from your older video card?

I'm just guessing here, because you still did not tell any system specs or described the problem you have (like: I have a GF 4200 and Doom3 is not playable, or I have an FX5200, I'm using compositing and moving wobbly Windows and the 3D cube is slow or such...)
Windseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 03:16 PM   #5
eliwap

I have a GForce 2. Running on an i386 800 MHz 512K RAM.

I use this computer as a Multimedia Machine running Myth TV. Before Fedora 9. I could watch videos as smooth as silk. No Problem.

After Fedora 9 there was no driver. I had to use the VGA driver. Videos would play, but would be jerky.

With the Beta driver my Videos are better, but still jerky.

What I'm expecting is the same performance.

I don't use the comptuer to play Doom3 or anything else. I just want my videos to play the way they're supposed to. Like they did before.