Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-10-09, 02:36 AM   #1
erpo41

Default [SOLVED!] drivers newer than 173 work only once

Update 3/30/09:
More than two months in the making, the 180.44 drivers seem to solve this problem. I'm never going to buy a 3D accelerator for Linux without open source drivers again. Thanks to everyone who helped in the troubleshooting!

Hardware: Lenovo T61p, Quadro FX 570
Operating System: Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64

Choosing the 173 driver in the Hardware Drivers application seems to work normally. However, it's been suggested that updating to 177 or even 180.22 would fix some performance problems in KDE4.

When I switch to 177 using the Hardware Drivers application, or when I install 180.22 using the executable installer from nVidia's web site, the following happens:

1. I start my computer. It works normally and reaches the gdm login screen.
2. I enter my username and password. My desktop environment (Gnome) loads and seems to work normally.
3. I log out.
4. Instead of returning to the gdm login screen as it should, the screen goes black. I see the nvidia logo (unless I have Option "NoLogo" "True" in my xorg.conf). If I do see the nvidia logo, the screen goes black again after a second or two. Then nothing appears to be happening.
5. If I press ctrl-alt-backspace a sufficient number of times, Ubuntu's special screen comes up telling me that it's running in low graphics mode. However, the display is corrupted even in low graphics mode.

The nv driver works as well as it does for anyone else.
The 173 driver, again, works fine except for the performance problems in KDE4 which I am trying to resolve.

As directed in the thread for newbies to this forum, I tried to create a nvidia-bug-report and attach it to this post. However, the size of the file exceeds the forum limits. If I've forgotten something, please speak up. I gave blood for the first time today and I still feel a little spaced out. Thanks for your time!

Eric

Last edited by erpo41; 03-30-09 at 11:36 PM. Reason: changed title
erpo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 03:44 AM   #2
Lysius

Default Re: drivers newer than 173 work only once

Quote:
Originally Posted by erpo41 View Post
I tried to create a nvidia-bug-report and attach it to this post. However, the size of the file exceeds the forum limits.
Just run gzip on that file and upload the now compressed version.
Lysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 12:19 PM   #3
erpo41

Good idea! Here's the gzip'd nvidia-bug-report.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.txt.gz (38.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-16-09, 12:48 AM   #4
erpo41

In case anyone else is having the same problem, here is the semi-solution: nVidia knows about the bug and is investigating it.

So, apparently, there is nothing wrong with your hardware or the configuration of the rest of your system. Rest easy.
Old 01-16-09, 11:12 AM   #5
drzoo2

Default Re: [SEMI-SOLVED] drivers newer than 173 work only once

This due to the restricted driver manger in Ubuntu conflicting with the binary install. The directions are stickied at the top of the Nvidia thread. Here is a link

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490

Taken from the thread......

Quote:
If you use Ubuntu, please also ensure that the linux-restricted-modules or linux-restricted-modules-common packages have been uninstalled. Alternatively, you can edit the /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules or /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common configuration file and disable the NVIDIA linux-restricted kernel modules (nvidia, nvidia_legacy) via:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"

Additionally, delete the following file if it exists:

/lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed
I wouldn't remove the restricted driver. Just add the disabled option.
BTW, this isn't a bug. It is feature in Ubuntu to get non-open drivers to work with your hardware without having to install by hand. To make life easy for new Linux users. Some modems and wireless cards use this also. I don't know of any other hardware to make use of this feature. Thats why you should keep it and not remove it. You may be using it for other devices.
z
drzoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 08:04 PM   #6
erpo41

Default Re: [SEMI-SOLVED] drivers newer than 173 work only once

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoo2 View Post
This due to the restricted driver manger in Ubuntu conflicting with the binary install.
When I first installed Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64, I chose the nVidia 177 driver using Ubuntu's restricted driver manager which was recommended over the 173 driver. That configuration triggered the bug. No executable installer package from nVidia had ever been on the same machine, so I know it is not that kind of conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoo2 View Post
BTW, this isn't a bug.
The email I received from nVidia's linux bugs department confirmed that it is a bug and that they are working on it.