Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-19-09, 09:02 AM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default European Union at it again

Microsoft said yesterday that it has received a Statement of Objections from the Directorate General for Competition of the European Commission(EC). This is not the first time the EC has objected Microsoft business practices and its been going on since 2005. Microsoft was fined more than $1 billion in the past by EC after determining that Microsoft isn't living up to the terms of a 2004 antitrust settlement.

Below is the statement published by Microsoft:

MICROSOFT STATEMENT ON EUROPEAN COMMISSION STATEMENT OF OBJECTIONS
January 16, 2009

Yesterday Microsoft received a Statement of Objections from the Directorate General for Competition of the European Commission. The Statement of Objections expresses the Commission's preliminary view that the inclusion of Internet Explorer in Windows since 1996 has violated European competition law. According to the Statement of Objections, other browsers are foreclosed from competing because Windows includes Internet Explorer. The Statement of Objections states that the remedies put in place by the U.S. courts in 2002 following antitrust proceedings in Washington, D.C. do not make the inclusion of Internet Explorer in Windows lawful under European Union law.

We are committed to conducting our business in full compliance with European law. We are studying the Statement of Objections now. Under European competition law procedure, Microsoft will be afforded an opportunity to respond in writing to this Statement of Objections within about two months. The company is also afforded an opportunity to request a hearing, which would take place after the submission of this response. Under EU procedure, the European Commission will not make a final determination until after it receives and assesses Microsoft's response and conducts the hearing, should Microsoft request one.
-- Microsoft Corporation

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...ust-violations

this is the most idiotic complains from EU. So you are going to buy a new PC, you want to get firefox browser, but oh no there is no IE, how are you supposed to download it.
Old 01-19-09, 01:00 PM   #2
Bearclaw

Default Re: European Union at it again

EU. What a joke.
Old 01-19-09, 01:11 PM   #3
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Most retarded thing I've read in awhile...
Old 01-19-09, 01:39 PM   #4
Sean_W

Come on guys, this is what happens when Microsoft tie IE into the OS so tight and other of their software. Firefox doesn't tie itself into the OS, no sofware like this should.

Ever wonder why Office requeries service packs to be installed before you can even install it, I mean it's a damn piece of software tied into the core of the OS. Apple do this as well(Apple dont have a Monopoly like Microsoft do or huge share), you need a X version of leopard to even run their software such as iLife.

OpenOffice 3 will run on XP/Vista without service packs(even windows 2000 with Sp2), see the point?
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 02:00 PM   #5
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
So you are going to buy a new PC, you want to get firefox browser, but oh no there is no IE, how are you supposed to download it.
windows explorer = win/win
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 02:12 PM   #6
bacon12

Lynx cli browser FTW!
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 02:33 PM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist View Post
windows explorer = win/win
for explorer to be able to connect to internet, internet explorer has to be present
Old 01-19-09, 03:29 PM   #8
stereod

Retarded...
Do they want users to use command line ftp client to download Firefox or something?
Core i5-2500K | Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Scythe S-FLEX 1600rpm | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 670 2GB OC | ASUS P8P67 | Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3-1600 2x4GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA 6Gb/s | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 575W | Cooler Master USP 100
stereod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-09, 03:54 PM   #9
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
for explorer to be able to connect to internet, internet explorer has to be present
Surely MS could make the IE app hidden/inaccessible but still retain the basic functionality that allows WE to connect through it...
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 10:34 PM   #10
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Quote:
I don't mind IE being present, but when you interlock it with the kernel is another thing entirely. When you get FF, you cannot...absolutely CANNOT uninstall IE, AT ALL.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 10:40 PM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I don't mind IE being present, but when you interlock it with the kernel is another thing entirely. When you get FF, you cannot...absolutely CANNOT uninstall IE, AT ALL.
better question is are you really concerned about maybe 5-10mb of hdd space?
Old 01-20-09, 12:12 AM   #12
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

No, but I CAN'T stand IE as it is, and it's embedded into XP. What I am using ATM.

Furthermore, it's more vulnerable, with it being a browser AND part of your OS. No independency at all.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote