Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-19-09, 11:56 PM   #13
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Come on guys, this is what happens when Microsoft tie IE into the OS so tight and other of their software. Firefox doesn't tie itself into the OS, no sofware like this should.

Ever wonder why Office requeries service packs to be installed before you can even install it, I mean it's a damn piece of software tied into the core of the OS. Apple do this as well(Apple dont have a Monopoly like Microsoft do or huge share), you need a X version of leopard to even run their software such as iLife.

OpenOffice 3 will run on XP/Vista without service packs(even windows 2000 with Sp2), see the point?
I hate Linux users.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 02:04 AM   #14
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

This is really sad. I mean do car companies get in trouble for selling cars with their engines in them, and also designing the car with a certain engine in mind? These guys act like Windows is public property and they need to protect it! It's a ****ing privately created piece of software. Microsoft should be allowed to do as they please with their own product. What's next? Game devs getting in trouble for installing their game engine with their game and making it hard for modders?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 07:28 AM   #15
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
I hate Linux users.
Thats not my problem it's yours, is that as far as your IQ can go?
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 09:11 AM   #16
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
This is really sad. I mean do car companies get in trouble for selling cars with their engines in them, and also designing the car with a certain engine in mind? These guys act like Windows is public property and they need to protect it! It's a ****ing privately created piece of software. Microsoft should be allowed to do as they please with their own product. What's next? Game devs getting in trouble for installing their game engine with their game and making it hard for modders?
QFT.

This entire argument is retarded. This article makes Mythy look like a genius.
Old 01-20-09, 10:12 AM   #17
Sean_W

Not really, it's because you people just dont get the point and think eveyone and anything that ships a default thing would be sued as well.

Ask yourself this question, it's really simple.

Does Firefox, Opera etc.. tie themselves into the OS and requiering X service pack to use them normal and can it be removed?

Microsoft do with with IE, it's tied into the OS and because of this they sue them, competition can't get a look in, Majority of users user the defaults. Microsoft was forced to put default access controls into their service packs with Windows 2000 and XP/Vista, pre to that it was very hard to near impossible to remove their software from the OS.

The point and lession is if you STILL didnt' get it is, dont tie your software into the OS to the point where you can't remove it or be flexible like a third part applications. The simple fact of the matter is that if Microsoft did make their apps detached from the OS(like third party apps are) they wouldn't get sued, it's all about anti-trust right from the 90's when netscape pretty much died because of such actions by Microsoft.
Old 01-20-09, 12:36 PM   #18
Vik1dk

MS now, IBM next....
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123242309681596853.html
GA-EX38-DQ6 | E8400 @3.8 Ghz | 2x2GB Corsair 8500 C5D | XFX 8800 GTS 512 | 2x WD2500YS(RE/sataII) | SAMSUNG S203D DVD-RW | X-FI(XM)| BenQ E2200 HDA | TT 750 Toughpower PSU(4x18A/60A combined) | Antec 900 | Logitech G5 v.2/Razer DeathAdder | Logitech G15 | WinXp x64 sp2/2008 server x64
Vik1dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 12:41 PM   #19
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
there is a simple reason for all of this, MS is a big source of income for EU.
Old 01-20-09, 12:51 PM   #20
ASUSEN7900GTX

since the retarded goverment of Sweden joined EU although the people had to do with it everything has gone worse than it was before EU so i think EU should go f themselves and Sweden get out of it
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-09, 01:29 PM   #21
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
there is a simple reason for all of this, MS is a big source of income for EU.
What the EU get in fines from Microsoft is nothing, it's pocket change to them, ofcourse you can trust the U.S govenment to to let them off, aleast it's a proper fine rather than backhanders to keep their monopoly.
Old 01-20-09, 09:41 PM   #22
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Quote:
Wrong analogy. A better one would be a car manufacturer puts a lock on your rims, and you can't put aftermarket rims on your car, or change a tire, unless you OK it with your car manufacturer. Or a turbo whatever floats your boat.

In USA we have a thing called the Magnuson-Moss act, and it prohibits car manufacturers from voiding your warranty if you put aftermarket equipment on your car.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 10:31 PM   #23
Monnie Rock

Send a message via ICQ to Monnie Rock Send a message via Yahoo to Monnie Rock

Simple, you do not like IE, do not buy Windows. Problem solved.

Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Tower || Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe || AMD Athlon 64 FX-60(17x200FSB) || VapoChill Lightspeed || 4Gb OCZ PC3200 2-2-2-5 || Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W W0156RU|| 2x SATAII Western Digital Caviar SE 160 GB RAID 0 || 2x EVGA GTX 280 SCC SLI || Creative X-fi || Plextor SATA PX-716SA DVD±RW || Mitsubishi DP2070SB-SV 22"CRT || Vista Ultimate 64 bit || TM Cougar HOTAS NXT Mod || Simped F-16C Rudder Pedals || Track IR 3 Pro || RME Fireface 800 || Mesa Boogie Tri-Axis || TC Electronics G-Force || BBE 882i || Sennheiser HD650 || Ibanez Jem7 VWH || Ibanez Universe 7 String || Sonar 7 Producer Edition
Monnie Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 11:06 PM   #24
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Wrong analogy. A better one would be a car manufacturer puts a lock on your rims, and you can't put aftermarket rims on your car, or change a tire, unless you OK it with your car manufacturer. Or a turbo whatever floats your boat.

In USA we have a thing called the Magnuson-Moss act, and it prohibits car manufacturers from voiding your warranty if you put aftermarket equipment on your car.
I didn't know you can use a turbo to float a boat.

w/e floats your boat I guess.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote