Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-21-09, 04:08 PM   #1
|MaguS|

Default No Audo using SPDIF with GTX 260

So I got my card and I am trying to get it all going nice but for some reason I can't get audio to work with it. I have it connected to my motherboard properly and then to the card but nothing works. My audio worked fine when I used the onboard GPU that had HDMI out but nothing happens with the GTX 260. Do I need any software to get it to work?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-21-09, 04:43 PM   #2
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Default Re: No Audo using SPDIF with GTX 260

Which motherboard? I assumed mine had an SPDIF out and hooked it up, but later realized it was SPDIF "in".
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 04:53 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Foxconn M7PMX-S

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186140
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/en-us/...D=en-gb0000251

According to Foxconn it has an SPDIF out... In the Windows Volume control it shows SPDIF but its greyed out, like it wont let me use the slider.
Old 01-21-09, 05:05 PM   #4
J-Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Foxconn M7PMX-S

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186140
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/en-us/...D=en-gb0000251

According to Foxconn it has an SPDIF out... In the Windows Volume control it shows SPDIF but its greyed out, like it wont let me use the slider.
Maybe the cable is connected improperly? Only the GPU side is "keyed". Double check to make sure your ground and signal are connected to the proper pins.

Also what audio device are you connecting to (receiver or TV)?
Old 01-21-09, 05:11 PM   #5
|MaguS|

Im using the HDMI Adapter to go straight to my TV, Do I need to pass it through a reciever? I thought my PC would process the audio and pass it through HDMI with the Audio.
Old 01-21-09, 05:20 PM   #6
J-Mag

Quote:
Im using the HDMI Adapter to go straight to my TV, Do I need to pass it through a reciever?
Not that I am aware of, I was just trying to get a better understanding of your environment.

Quote:
I thought my PC would process the audio and pass it through HDMI with the Audio.
Yeah it should, but if you can't select the digital stream for your output through the realtek drivers then it won't work.
Old 01-21-09, 05:25 PM   #7
|MaguS|

Could it be a Windows XP issue?
Old 01-21-09, 05:39 PM   #8
J-Mag

Quote:
Could it be a Windows XP issue?
I'm not sure, but there's definitely something in the nvidia driver that enables the HDMI audio stream. I posted about it a while back. In my situation I was trying to use the HDMI out for video and the mobo's analogue mini stereo out for audio (input to the same TV). With the older drivers I was able to do so, but when I upgraded to 17x.xx the audio stopped functioning. Audio was still being output through the mobo, but I suspect the nvidia drivers had enabled permanent digital streaming regardless of what audio output type selected in the realtek or other sound driver.

Old 01-21-09, 06:59 PM   #9
|MaguS|

Think its a windows issue. I updated my HPTC to Vista and now it shows that its passing audio to the SPDIF just can't hear anything (I can play an mp3 and you see the mixer bar react just no sound coming from it).
Old 01-21-09, 07:36 PM   #10
J-Mag

Quote:
Think its a windows issue. I updated my HPTC to Vista and now it shows that its passing audio to the SPDIF just can't hear anything (I can play an mp3 and you see the mixer bar react just no sound coming from it).
We still haven't confirmed if you hooked up the SPDIF cable properly. According to your manual the two pins closest to the memory socket side of teh board should be connected...
Old 01-21-09, 07:48 PM   #11
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mag View Post
We still haven't confirmed if you hooked up the SPDIF cable properly. According to your manual the two pins closest to the memory socket side of teh board should be connected...
Yeah I connected it properly, I checked.

My board has the pins like this ||_| and the ground is the furthest to the left with the SPDIF the middle next to the gap.
Old 01-21-09, 10:06 PM   #12
|MaguS|

Crap. Got all excited. I restarted vista and heard the chime but after the reboot I hear nothing again. =\