Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-21-09, 07:13 PM   #13
pRATTICUS
Schnauzerkampfwagen I

Default Re: Triple boot Windows: XP, Vista, and 7?

Jesus, way to derail the OP guys.

To the OP: just create a new partition of 50Gb or so then do a fresh (full) installation of W7 and it will recognize your other OS in the bootloader and give you the option of what to boot into as usual.

No further muss is required, I have quad-boot and have never had to download third party garbage, etc. to get a multi-boot working.

I think one caveat is that you must install the "oldest" OS first, else the boot loader will not recognize the newer OSs - so as long as you are installing W7 last, you should have no problem.
Old 01-25-09, 01:57 PM   #14
MUFC4EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pRATTICUS View Post

To the OP: just create a new partition of 50Gb or so then do a fresh (full) installation of W7 and it will recognize your other OS in the bootloader and give you the option of what to boot into as usual.

No further muss is required, I have quad-boot and have never had to download third party garbage, etc. to get a multi-boot working.

I think one caveat is that you must install the "oldest" OS first, else the boot loader will not recognize the newer OSs - so as long as you are installing W7 last, you should have no problem.
I absolutely agree with this post. I have all 3 OS's running and bootloader works flawlessly.

I used a 30gb partition because I'm not loading any games which is why I'm keeping XP for the time being as it's the best gaming platform.

Cheers

Asus P5N32-E-SLI mobo, Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 at 2.7, Radeon HD5850 1GB, HP 22" LCD @ 1680x1050, 4Gb AData 800 mhtz ram, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 & 250gb Seagate H/D, 2x DVD Burners, X-FI Xtreme Gamer, Thermaltake ToughPower 700w PSU
MUFC4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 10:33 AM   #15
PC_Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAsM View Post
I won't say it's the best until it's more time-tested, but I must say, I like it (Windows 7) so far. Seems very stable for a beta.
Do what im doing with it and you may think a little different. I edit a lot of music and pictures and also film. I have an AMD AM2+ 8650 Triple core Phenom, Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 rev 2 MoBo and 4Gig of some of the best Ram Corsair has to offer and i would still, at this point use Xp Sp2 over Win 7 32-bit. (The Ram is set at the correct timings and the CPU is O/C to 2.52GHz). I tried using Win 7 64-bit and it was even slower then Xp, i kid you not! So, i need to have open and running several programs at the same time and the OS just cant cope, at this moment. I have sent Microsoft so much feedback, they may ask me to build the next one Ha!(JOKING!!) Currently it has crshed, froze, rebooted by itself, wouldnt boot, wouldnt shut down, wouldnt open programs, wouldnt...wouldnt...wouldnt etc, and thats the 32-bit OS. The 64 i found to be even worse then that! I dont get right into the guts of the OS like some of you may, but for what i use it for, at the moment Xp is for me. If there are 5 levels of computerism: 1.Dumb as a shoe. 2.Beginner. 3.Intermediate. 4.Addvanced and 5.Expert, i would have to say im around the two and a half mark, maybe a bit below that. I hope they will iron out a lot of errors befor the final. man.
PC_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 10:40 AM   #16
PC_Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pRATTICUS View Post

Ok, so what if you (I) want to run xp, Win 7 32 and Win 7 64? I tried and it would not see xp. wiped it out completely. When i installed Win 7 32, bootloader gave two options, Xp or 7. After installing 7 64, no Xp. And to get it back.............im on Xp right now. Which means i formated the HDD partitions were Win 7s were and repaired the bootloader, cause 7 seemed to have killed it, via the Xp cd. Problems!!! AH!!!!!!!!!!
PC_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 11:25 AM   #17
pRATTICUS
Schnauzerkampfwagen I

Historically, I have always installed the 32 bit versions before the equivalent 64 bit versions and never had a problem. It just comes up as 2 options of the same OS (one being 32 and one being 64). You can rename them if you wish to be more explicit.

What sort of partition are you installing to? Is it a logical drive or a primary partition?

Here is a snapshot of my Disk Management window from within W7:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boot Drive.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	35272  
Old 01-27-09, 02:55 PM   #18
MUFC4EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC_Head View Post
Ok, so what if you (I) want to run xp, Win 7 32 and Win 7 64? I tried and it would not see xp. wiped it out completely. When i installed Win 7 32, bootloader gave two options, Xp or 7. After installing 7 64, no Xp. And to get it back.............im on Xp right now. Which means i formated the HDD partitions were Win 7s were and repaired the bootloader, cause 7 seemed to have killed it, via the Xp cd. Problems!!! AH!!!!!!!!!!
Vista BootPro 3.3 is your friend!! Google and you will find.

It also has a superb forum with loads of very helpful posts. The forum has sorted out some issues I previously had when I tried to install XP and Vists 32 and XP was not recognised.

Highly recommended!

Asus P5N32-E-SLI mobo, Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 at 2.7, Radeon HD5850 1GB, HP 22" LCD @ 1680x1050, 4Gb AData 800 mhtz ram, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 & 250gb Seagate H/D, 2x DVD Burners, X-FI Xtreme Gamer, Thermaltake ToughPower 700w PSU
MUFC4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 06:13 AM   #19
shiva19

have had both xp and vista ultimate, now i have installed windows 7 on a differenr drive.
When I have remove the drive I cannot dual boot from vista or xp.
The dual boot is now win7 and vista.

Please help how can I return back to my initial dual boot manager.
shiva19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 06:24 AM   #20
shiva19

Angry Re: Triple boot Windows: XP, Vista, and 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva19 View Post
have had both xp and vista ultimate, now i have installed windows 7 on a differenr drive.
When I have remove the drive I cannot dual boot from vista or xp.
The dual boot is now win7 and vista.

Please help how can I return back to my initial dual boot manager.
shiva19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-09, 11:47 AM   #21
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Not sure if you can unless you start from scratch.

Alternatively, just run XP virtualized from within Windows 7 if your processor supports it.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 01:00 PM   #22
Quick420

Use all older components and hardware and build an Xp only rig.Thats my plan,use it for good old gaming and thats it.I have a feeling that after I install 7 for the first time the others will become obsolete anyways,but Xp's worth saving for gaming.My 2cents guys
2x2gb Ddr2 1066mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
3xWD WD5000AAKS 500gb/sata300/ 1xSeagate 320gb Ide(tuuunz)
X-fi Fatality Pro*ASUS VH242H 24"LCD*:::Windoze 7-64bit:::
Sony DvD/Ram-Drive
Logitech G25
3dmark06 17,898 Vantage 12,851

If the light is GREEN the trap is clean
Quick420 is offline   Reply With Quote