Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-21-09, 05:31 PM   #1
Bman212121

Default Corsair Enters the SSD Market

Quote:
Corsair finally enters the SSD field

Back in March 2008, Seagate's then CEO Bill Watkins proclaimed that he was unimpressed with solid state drives for the notebook market. "Realistically, I just donít see the flash notebook sell," opinioned Watkins.

Well, since that time, 2.5" form-factor SSDs have exploded in popularity for both notebook and desktop platforms. Prices have steadily dropped and performance has increased from month to month. And while SSDs are steadily carving out a piece of the notebook storage market, Watkins is now out as Seagate's CEO.

While Watkins may have not seen the benefit of SSDs, a longtime holdout to the market has finally decided to throw its hat in the ring. Corsair is joining the likes of OCZ and Super Talent with its own MLC-based SSD. The S128 as its name implies features a total of 128GB of storage space. However, Corsair is bucking the trend of current "value" MLC SSDs by using a Samsung controller instead of a JMicron 602 controller.

JMicron's controller has been blasted for poor sustained write speeds and stalling/hanging issues when performing write operations.

Corsair lists read/write at a leisurely 90 MB/sec and 70 MB/sec respectively. For comparison, OCZ's budget Solid Series SSDs are rated at 155 MB/sec and 90 MB/sec while the mainstream Apex Series SSDs are rated at 230 MB/sec and 160 MB/sec respectively. These two SSD families, however, use JMicron controllers.

Hopefully, Corsair's choice of Samsung NAND flash paired with a Samsung controller will lead to more consistent performance in everyday usage.

According to Hexus, the S128 are currently priced at £326.54 which is roughly $448 USD.
http://www.dailytech.com/Corsair+Joi...ticle14025.htm

I really want to get an SSD this year; still waiting to see more testing done as I don't want a drive that suffers from poor performance. Price is a little high yet, but if it comes down about $100 I think it would be a lot more tempting.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 08:59 AM   #2
Revs

Default Re: Corsair Enters the SSD Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
I really want to get an SSD this year; still waiting to see more testing done as I don't want a drive that suffers from poor performance. Price is a little high yet, but if it comes down about $100 I think it would be a lot more tempting.
+1

Cheers for the read, Mr. Man
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote