Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-20-09, 05:22 PM   #25
Space

Default Re: GF8200 / Poor 2D performance / ETA of fix?

I also disabled subpixel hinting (point 3) --> no difference. Still slow as hell.

But thanks for trying to rule things out. It's at least helpful.

Space
Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 11:45 AM   #26
kralizec

I just wanted to say that I'm experiencing the same symptoms, with an nVidia 8200/8300 IGP (Asus M3N78PRO mobo). With version 180.22, the 2D performance is horrible, most noticeably with flash but it happens everywhere.

I've gon an AMD Phenom 9550 Quad Core CPU with 8 Gigs of RAM.

With flash, a full core is devoted (>80% usage) to the X process (and I can only guess how horribly slow this would be if I had less CPU power).

If I go back to 173.14.09, performance goes back to normal (or at least, much much better).

BTW, I'm using IceWM so no fancy 3D desktop effects for me at all.
kralizec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 01:33 PM   #27
apaige

I wish people made separate reports about Flash and general 2D performance, because they're two very different things. While YouTube in fullscreen is dog slow, downloading the flash video and playing it with MPlayer is smooth as silk and very light on resources.
apaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 01:51 PM   #28
zim2dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaige View Post
I wish people made separate reports about Flash and general 2D performance, because they're two very different things. While YouTube in fullscreen is dog slow, downloading the flash video and playing it with MPlayer is smooth as silk and very light on resources.
You have yet to demonstrate they have anything but a common cause. We know they DO have a common solution...downgrade to 173 (but then you sacrifice HDMI audio)

Until we can get developer attention, I think we're hosed beyond our ability to make this work (the drivers are just too broken). I got initial emails from the devs on my bug report, but since then not a peep. My ATI card is due to arrive on Tuesday (if nvidia ever fixes this, I can just re-sell it, but I'm fed up waiting for them to acknowledge these issues)(I bought ATI b/c I don't believe in rewarding bad support by giving the company more $$)

Edit: still not sure why you are posting here anyway since you don't have an 8200
Quote:
  • Asus M3N78-EM motherboard (GeForce 8300 IGP), GeForce 8600GT discrete PCIe card (512MiB of on-board RAM)
zim2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 02:15 PM   #29
kralizec

Quote:
What (IMHO) we are reporting is a serious regression issue with the newer drivers (because the older ones do work properly).
And I'm not talking about flash fullscreen performance, windowed one sucks as well, and gets glitches.

If it's a general lack of performance when doing 2D operations, I think it's only normal that it becomes more obvious with the more requiring (or more poorly coded, the end result is the same) applications.
Old 01-25-09, 01:43 AM   #30
apaige

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post
still not sure why you are posting here anyway since you don't have an 8200
As you can see, I have a 8300, which is pretty much the same thing, as far as the drivers are concerned.

What I notice is that there's a whole lot of complaining going on, and very little detail is given about what works, what doesn't, what everyone's setup is and what measures have been taken in order to try to improve performance. It's getting tiresome and I don't think it'll accomplish anything.
Old 01-25-09, 07:51 AM   #31
zim2dive

Quote:
As you can see, I have a 8300, which is pretty much the same thing, as far as the drivers are concerned.

What I notice is that there's a whole lot of complaining going on, and very little detail is given about what works, what doesn't, what everyone's setup is and what measures have been taken in order to try to improve performance. It's getting tiresome and I don't think it'll accomplish anything.
You may be more optimistic than I, but I suspect our issues our beyond our (the end-user) ability to tweak our way out of. There is such a massive downgrade in performance between 173 and 177/180 that I have serious doubt we can change a setting here/there to get the performance back.. ie. I think the driver itself has to get fixed.

As for specific, I have attached a bug-report log with all my system specifics and submitted that bug to the bugs email addr. One reason I don't want to give up posting about Flash, is personally I think its a very specific and repeatable case.. I don't just say its all flash, I give links to specific Flash videos (tho really I think its anything hi-def). I say we give them the toughest issue to solve (we know its solvable since 173 does the trick).. if they can get that, likely all else will come along as part of that fix (ie. did they not use DMA for memory transfers, or polling vs. interrupts, or who knows what)

I've invested 100+ hours trying this and that so far, to get acceptable performance, and then fixing the resulting audio issues as I moved up and down different driver levels. As I said, I've finally given up (convinced this is outside my control to fix) and ordered an ATI card with HDMI to see if that will do the job instead.

EDIT: the only appreciable fix I was able to make (with 177/180) was to disable compiz. That allowed normal res YouTube to play at Full screen. The full-screen from hulu-hd and The Daily show still only runs at 1-2 fps before spiraling to a death.
Old 01-25-09, 09:25 AM   #32
apaige

Quote:
I have serious doubt we can change a setting here/there to get the performance back
PixmapCacheRoundSizeKB is a single setting that improves performance drastically, and I rarely see it mentionned as one of the tweaks applied when people complain about performance issues. There are other single settings like that elsewhere (e.g. gtkrc) that have a dramatic impact on performance.

Old 01-25-09, 10:09 AM   #33
zim2dive

Quote:
PixmapCacheRoundSizeKB is a single setting that improves performance drastically, and I rarely see it mentionned as one of the tweaks applied when people complain about performance issues. There are other single settings like that elsewhere (e.g. gtkrc) that have a dramatic impact on performance.
I certainly didn't keep a list of everything that I tried that didn't work. I did try all of the weak settings (inlcuding PixmapCache) listed in the performance issues thread.

I think the most telling piece of information is this.. there is a not a single 8200 user (that I have seen) that has been able to report finding a way to overcome the dramatic performance decrease from 173 to the 177/180. As such, my conclusion is that the driver is so fundamentally flawed that we cannot tweak our way out of this until the devs give us a newer driver to work with. As I said you may be more of an optimist about this than I am.
Old 01-25-09, 01:02 PM   #34
Linuxhippy

Quote:
As such, my conclusion is that the driver is so fundamentally flawed that we cannot tweak our way out of this until the devs give us a newer driver to work with. As I said you may be more of an optimist about this than I am.
The driver got a major 2D overhaul between 173 and 182, moving from a mostly-software to an mostly-hardware accalerated architecture.
In fact the 182 drivers provide currently best-in-class 2D accaleration, better than all the praised open-source drivers (intel included).

I wouldn't conclude the dirver is "the driver is so fundamentally flawed" just because there is one problem with one program (flash) which even only shows up when running compiz.
Yes, this is most likely a bug. But its clearly not armageddon
What makes me a bit angry however is the lack of communication with Nvidia. Just something like "we were able to reproduce it and filed a bug" would help a great deal.

- Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 01:05 PM   #35
Linuxhippy

sorry, double post
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 01:15 PM   #36
kralizec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxhippy View Post
The driver got a major 2D overhaul between 173 and 182, moving from a mostly-software to an mostly-hardware accalerated architecture.
In fact the 182 drivers provide currently best-in-class 2D accaleration, better than all the praised open-source drivers (intel included).

I wouldn't conclude the dirver is "the driver is so fundamentally flawed" just because there is one problem with one program (flash) which even only shows up when running compiz.
Yes, this is most likely a bug. But its clearly not armageddon
What makes me a bit angry however is the lack of communication with Nvidia. Just something like "we were able to reproduce it and filed a bug" would help a great deal.

- Clemens
At least in my case, the issue happens without compiz or any other 3D desktop (I use IceWM), and not only with flash. What it happens is that flash seems to be the most demanding (and popular) 2D application out there.

If someone knows of a performance test to run, I would be happy to try it with different configurations, and let you know the results. I have tested several options related to the pixmap cache size, and none of them worked.

What I don't find logical either is to deny that there is a problem when:

a) It used to work properly
b) It stopped working properly

without any other changes but the driver version.