Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-24-09, 05:38 PM   #1
invalidopcode

Exclamation GTX285 + vista64 + gigabyte ud5=BSOD

It seems I am unable to get any of the nivida drivers to working with my new Vista64 SP1 installation. I have Gigabyte UD5 mobo and all appears fine until I install the nvidia drivers.

If I install the ones that came with the card, 180.xx, I see an error on the install saying "service nvsvc not successfully started". The system then reboots and hits the BSOD right after the desktop appears when I log in.

If I install the latest 181.22, the install says it completes successful. However, the login screen has a better resolution but I still get the BSOD right after I log in.

Everything else runs fine if I stick with the VGA and don't install the nvidia drivers.

I ran memtest86 and the Vistat 64 memtest and there were no problems so I think I can rule out memory issues.

I am on a i7 2.6GHz, 6GB G Skill ram, Gigabyte UD5, EVGA GTX285.

I have searched the forums and newsgroups and nothing seems to help.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggetions?

TIA,
Invalid Opcode
invalidopcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 06:01 PM   #2
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Default Re: GTX285 + vista64 + gigabyte ud5=BSOD

1. Start with a complete System Summary. (You left out several things like your PSU. And maybe MOBO chipset would help because rather than just a Make and model the chipset sometimes helps ppl with the same chipset to make suggestions based on their experiences. Are you OCing.)

2. Have u used a Driver cleanup utility yet?
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D--...up)_d1655.html

How to use?

The following steps are the best way to clean the drivers from your system.

Use the official uninstaller(s) of the driver(s) you want to uninstall.
Reboot your PC in Safe Mode (Optional).
Run Driver Sweeper and select what to clean.
Analyse lists all the entries to remove, where cleaning removes the entries selected.

3. Do you use Imaging software like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image?

Use it when the system does work in order to restore a working configuration quickly.

4. Have u eliminated other Hardware as the cause? (Disconnect all unnecessary Hardware.)

5. Step two also covers if Legacy drivers result in BSODs or if u can run in Safe Mode.

6. Offical Guide to Fixing BSOD/STOP errors! (Just a forum I recently used.) http://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic16313-9-1.aspx

I think I found "Driver Verifier Manager Vista" and "Device Signing Vista" on it.

I was lucky because my new BSOD problem that got out of hand last week was completely solved by increasing my CPU VCORE from 1.25625V to 1.26250V. With my old PSU everything was fine with CPU@3.7 and 1.25625V. But with a new PSU I guess I needed to run CPU@3.7 and 1.26250V.
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 06:38 PM   #3
MikeC
Administrator

Hey Invalid Opcode,

I've got the same motherboard and when it runs, it runs great. But it does experience intermittent problems when powering up after the system is shutdown. Many others have reported similar problems.

Yor best bet would be to test each component seperately if possible. Say, if you could try out the graphics card on a friends X58 mobo? It it works on his, then you likely have a mobo issue. Or try installing a different graphics card on your mobo and see what happens.

Also, the link below is a great place for Gigabyte motherboard technical support. Good luck!

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/

I hang out there a lot waiting for another BIOS update to be released
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 06:43 PM   #4
invalidopcode

Here are the system specs. The chipset is x58 since it is i7 CPU:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 X58
CPU: INTEL|CORE I7 920 2.66G 45N
CPU Cooler: NOCTUA|NH-U12P SE1366
Video: EVGA 01G-P3-1285-AR GTX285
PSU: CORSAIR|CMPSU-850TX 850W
Mem: 6GB G Skill 1600 - F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
HD: Western Digital Black Caviar (750GB) 7K 32M SATA2 WD7501AALS
DVD: SAMSUNG|SH-S223Q LS

I have run the driver cleaner utility, several times.

I have used the Vista System Restore to go back to the previous images. I made a restore point right after all of the drivers were updated for the chipsets.
Old 01-24-09, 07:00 PM   #5
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidopcode View Post
Here are the system specs. The chipset is x58 since it is i7 CPU:

I have run the driver cleaner utility, several times.

I have used the Vista System Restore to go back to the previous images. I made a restore point right after all of the drivers were updated for the chipsets.
I like to turn off restore points and use Imaging software instead. The only thing u have to do is install the OS on its own partition, basic applications on their own partition, and Games on their own partition.

Anyway, back to the BSOD problem.

Have u tried what MikeC suggested?

I think it's important to eliminate each piece of Hardware as the cause; like MikeC says; and then use the Forum he suggested because of the Threads it has are dealing with ur MOBO.
Old 01-24-09, 09:11 PM   #6
invalidopcode

Post Re: GTX285 + vista64 + gigabyte ud5=BSOD

Ok, I loaded the Vista64 debug tools and then installed the latest 181.22 gefroce winvista64bit english whql drivers from Nvidia.

The system crashed to the BSOD (as expected) when I entered my password and the desktop flashed for a second or two.

Using the debug tools, and the symbols specfied in Bee_Dee_3_Dee's link:

SRV*DownstreamStore*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols)

the debugger says the crash is occuring in the dxgkrnl.sys module - the "DirectX Graphics Kernel". The tool says my current version is 6.0.6001.18000.

Hmmm, now what. I am running Vista64 SP1. I thought that had all of the latest hot fixes and system files.
Old 01-25-09, 01:05 AM   #7
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:

the debugger says the crash is occuring in the dxgkrnl.sys module - the "DirectX Graphics Kernel". The tool says my current version is 6.0.6001.18000.

Hmmm, now what. I am running Vista64 SP1. I thought that had all of the latest hot fixes and system files.
Hmmm.. good investigating.

The first thing that comes to mind is google, "dxgkrnl.sys".

Second, is reinstalling DirectX. (Malware may be a culprit. There's a bug going around now that is being spread mostly by USB Thumb drives.)

Third, seeing how it's a brand new never before used card (285); install it on another working PC for the sake of proving the card is not a Lemon. Although switching ur PSU to a working PC makes it quite a hassle unless ur lucky enough to have another PC that works and also has a sufficient sized PSU.
Old 01-25-09, 05:12 PM   #8
invalidopcode

I went back and created a small partition on the HD and installed WinXP 32 bit. The install went fine and all the drivers from the mobo install disc and the 181.22 Nvidia worked.

I installed Steam, downloaded Left 4 Dead and played it with all of the graphics options turned to maximum!

Does this mean that my hardware is working 100% and that this is purely a Vista 64 SP1 problem? Does working in 32bit imply that 64bit hardware is good as well?

Old 01-25-09, 10:04 PM   #9
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
I went back and created a small partition on the HD and installed WinXP 32 bit. The install went fine and all the drivers from the mobo install disc and the 181.22 Nvidia worked.

I installed Steam, downloaded Left 4 Dead and played it with all of the graphics options turned to maximum!

Does this mean that my hardware is working 100% and that this is purely a Vista 64 SP1 problem? Does working in 32bit imply that 64bit hardware is good as well?
The card works fine so congratz!

And now that it had been proven to work in XP the card alone is no longer to blame for not working in Vista 64. If it works on 32 XP it should work on any OS. The problem was most likely a combination of all kinds of other things including luck, hardware, software, and the card (indirectly).

But try it on a fresh install of Vista 32. And if it works on Vista 32 try it on a fresh install of Vista 64. I bet it works on both and u just had bad luck with the first try on Vista 64.

(And ur not OCing at all right?)

And Beta drivers are a really good alternative- if any are available- if it fails again on Vista 64. And MOBO BIOS settings should be nit picked too if it fails again on Vista 64. A lot of boards now a days even have hidden ones that have to be accessed with a Hot Key Combination- even though they are intended for just for OCing u just never know.

Go over every BIOS setting because there may be one single BIOS setting that is to blame for the card failing in 64 but still functioning fine in 32. I think u researched BIOS updates already right?

Anyway, all the above may be ways of validating the suggestion to try Vista 32 before Vista 64.

GL
Old 01-26-09, 12:44 AM   #10
invalidopcode

Default Re: GTX285 + vista64 + gigabyte ud5=BSOD [SOLVED]

Ok, I finally figured out the problem...

I was using a checked/debug build of Vista 64 Ultimate SP1 instead of the plain old retail copy. Once I discovered my mistake and switched to the retail version, I was able to install Vista 64 and then the Nvidia 181.22 drivers. I only noticed my problem when I saw the word DEBUG in the system information.

Hopefully this is the last issue but I am feeling much better since I have not had a BSOD in 45 minutes...
Old 01-26-09, 11:35 AM   #11
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
Ok, I finally figured out the problem...

I was using a checked/debug build of Vista 64 Ultimate SP1 instead of the plain old retail copy. Once I discovered my mistake and switched to the retail version, I was able to install Vista 64 and then the Nvidia 181.22 drivers. I only noticed my problem when I saw the word DEBUG in the system information.

Hopefully this is the last issue but I am feeling much better since I have not had a BSOD in 45 minutes...
Cool!

But I don't understand. What was causing the BSODs?

And what fixed it?
Old 01-26-09, 12:34 PM   #12
invalidopcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee View Post
Cool!

But I don't understand. What was causing the BSODs?

And what fixed it?
The fix was to wipe the hard drive and install with the "free/retail" version of Vista.

As best as I can determine, there is something incompatible between the checked/debug build and the drivers for my hardware. What this is I cannot say.

However, even if this was not true, you want to use a non-debug version of the binaries anyways because of the performance issues.

From the MSDN site:

"Because the checked build contains fewer optimizations and more debugging checks than the free build, the checked build is both larger in size and slower to execute than the free build. As a result, the free build is used in production environments unless it is necessary to use the checked build to identify serious problems."

So if I had just used the correct DVD when installing the OS, I could have saved myself some heartache...