Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-05-08, 03:40 PM   #1
liuji_dragon
TeeJ

Default Screen turns black immediately on boot with FC9 x64 after Nvidia driver install

Yo,

I've spent two days browsing through several forums and google looking for answers to this particular issue, but I haven't had much luck. I apologize if I'm blind and this particular issue has been handled, but I can't seem to figure this out...

I installed Fedora Core 9 x86-64 with no problems on a Dell XPS m1730 laptop with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition processors at 2.8ghz
Dual sata hard drives in RAID 0
A NVidia Geforce 8700M graphics card in SLI mode
4 gigs of ram

Was able to log into GNOME with no problems. Sound, internet and programs seemed to be working without a hitch. I noticed I hadn’t installed KDE so switched over to a console, logged in as root and ran

init 3
‘yum groupinstall “KDE (K Desktop Environment)’

After everything installed, I rebooted and logged into KDE with no problem. I switched over to a console, logged in as root and ran

init 3
yum upgrade

To upgrade the system. This also upgraded my kernel to 2.6.25.3-18. I rebooted the system again with the new kernel and logged into KDE again with no problem. Sound stopped working, but I’ll look into that later. I switched over to a console again and ran

yum install kernel-devel
yum install gcc

As required by the Nvidia driver install package. I picked up NVidia's latest x64 linux driver from the website (v173.14.05), switched to console and ran

init 3
cd (download directory)
sh (nvidia install package)

The installation ran through wit h no problems. I rebooted the system. As soon as the kernel loads, it locates the hard drive volume (I only see a bit of this as it flashes though, so pardon if I dont have everything with all the detail) and says 'Starting udev: [ ok ]'

At this point, the cursor goes to the next line and the screen turns black. In a few seconds, the screen turns off completely. The hard drive light flickers for a few moments, then stops. The system remains fairly unresponsive, however, when I hit ctrl-alt-del, the hard drive light flickers a bit and after about 30 seconds the laptop reboots so I know it hasn't died completely.

Per http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58498,

running

dmesg | grep “MMCONFIG”

produces

PCI: Using MMCONFIG at cc00000 – cffffff

So I tried booting with pci=nommconf with the same result. Idle=poll is a no go, same issue. With maxcpus=1, the screen goes black for a few moments after ‘Starting udev: [ ok ]’ then reverts back to text mode and a bunch more services start up, then the screen goes black again and doesn’t come back up. Running pci=nommconf idle=poll maxcpus=1 together does the same as maxcpus=1 except the screen flashes the text based login prompt for a split second before turning black for a few moments and repeats over and over again.

I also tried booting with only one 2GB memory stick (saw a post about the nvidia driver not liking systems with >3GB memory) and no go.

I also tried the minimalistic xorg.conf per http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490. No go.

I can boot into single user mode and ran nvidia-bug-report.sh to generate a log report (attached). What on earth am I doing wrong?

Thanks!!!

TJ

---edit---

Btw, this is 100% reproducible on 32 or 64 bit editions of Fedora Core 9. I've been through multiple installations of both the 32 and 64 bit systems and have had the exact same problem each time.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (88.5 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by liuji_dragon; 06-05-08 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention...
liuji_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 12:44 PM   #2
ohrenknut

Default Re: Screen turns black immediately on boot with FC9 x64 after Nvidia driver install

Hi,

I had the same problem with fedora 8, archlinux and now with fedora 9, but only in the 64 bit versions. That means I worked in 32bit the last year. 5 minutes ago I found this link: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58498
and after setting

Option "NvAGP" "0"

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf , the Problem was solved.

Hope I could help, Lukas
ohrenknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 01:33 PM   #3
liuji_dragon
TeeJ

Default Re: Screen turns black immediately on boot with FC9 x64 after Nvidia driver install

Hmmm... Didn't work, although it got farther than it did last time. This time it actually spit out some error messages I could see, including the need to use the -ignoreABI option, which I did, and the screen went black again and didn't come back out. Again, the system was still responsive to a ctrl-alt-del, but not to ctrl-alt-bksp.

I may have been using it wrong though. I put 'Option "NvAGP" "0"' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and typed in 'startx', 'startx -ignoreABI' and then 'startx -- -ignoreABI' but I was in runlevel 3. Do I have to switch to runlevel 5 to get X to start up?

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-07-08, 12:30 AM   #4
eliwap

Might be a dumb question.... but... what version of the driver are you using? Cause... if you aren't using the latest greatest, you won't be able to get to X to come up at all. I haven't installed Fedora 9 on my main desktop yet because of NVidia driver problems, Disfunctional Plasma on KDE 4.0 (Waiting for 4.1) and a buggy Xinerama in xorg implementation which won't allow proper use of a dual screen setup. So I gotta wait for these fixes.
eliwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 09:53 AM   #5
OrqwithVagrant

I have an xps m1730 with SLI 8800GTX, Fedora 9, and similar symptoms. If i turn off the graphical bootloader (remove the rhgb option in grub, that is), I can get a working display, but the instant that anything 3D related is touched, I get an X lockup. I'm going to post a bug report separately, but I figured I'd drop a note in this thread as well.
OrqwithVagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 06:43 PM   #6
insomn1a

I have a 8600GT and I have the same issue with a black screen. This has happened both on i386 and x86_64 installations. This did not work on FC8 either for me.
insomn1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 11:28 PM   #7
liuji_dragon
TeeJ

Damnit damnit damnit. I just went through the installs for FC9 i386 and FC8 as well before checking back. Same issue on this laptop. Sucks that the only option I have to run this beast is Vista. XP's driver options are limited. Sadness...
Old 06-13-08, 07:45 PM   #8
insomn1a

Just tried Ubuntu 8.04 i386 and x86_64 same results, I get a black screen after the ubuntu bar.
Does anyone know how to solve this or if this is a driver or hardware issue?
insomn1a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-08, 09:38 AM   #9
proteusx

Same problem with my GeForce 9600GT. Black screen locked up. Works perfectly with micro$oft windows xp. Back to my 8500GT...

I only wish I could find an alternative to nvidia graphics cards. They are getting worse and worse...
proteusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-08, 04:29 AM   #10
mthode

I am having the same problem with dual 9800gt, nvidia keeps on getting worse as ati gets better it seems
mthode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 10:49 AM   #11
F.User_4_Life

is it sli problem? not sure i have problems to when 1 card is in it works fine but when 2 cards are in it doesnt it just goes to script lmao oh well im waiting for a respond on another thread if i fix it ill update u all so u can try to fix it by going through the same steps i am going through.

good luck all <3
F.User_4_Life is offline   Reply With Quote